Hydra or Nafplio - which is better?

newtocruiseinblue

From the perspective of what?

I like Navplio because from there one has easy access to several very interesting archaeological sites including several Mycenaean, ancient Greek and Roman sites such as Mycenae, Epidauros, Tyrins, Corinth, and more.

Hydra is a pretty and photogenic Greek island. There are beaches, many of them are pebbled though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

Just found out the Santorini has been replaced by Nafplio which I've never heard of. Santorini has been on our bucket list for years.

Nafplio (or Nafplion or Nauplion) was the first capital of a united Greece in the 19th century and is a charming little city in its own right.  Much less crowded and more interesting than Santorini, although I understand your desire to go there.

Cruise lines generally offer tours to Mycenae, the ancient Myceanaean site rediscovered by Schlieimann (the same one who discovered Troy). It was home to King Agamemnon and yielded some fantastic worked gold masks and pieces that are such treasures they are featured at the very front of the Archaeological Museum in Athens.  The remains themselves are very evocative, sited on a hilltop with huge walls (built by the Cyclopes according to legend) and with amazing rock-built tombs just outside the city gates.

image.png.71d88b02b83f22818b47f69f757fc376.png 

Also well worth a visit is Epidauros (or Epidavros), which was known in Greek and Roman times as a healing sanctuary, sacred to Asclepius. It is well excavated, including the dormitories where patients used to sleep (as part of their therapy) but it is particularly known for its extremely well preserved (and well-sited) theater, one of the most striking I have ever visited.

image.png.da6c823868ae68118ad262627e306dab.png

The town of Nafplio itself is charming to stroll around and there is even a fortress (Palamidi) at the top of a steep hill if you are up for a climb. (Best part is the views.)

• Like 3

Thanks for posting the pictures looks & sounds like an interesting place.

It is OK but not a great substitute for Santorini so i expect you are disappointed.

Check TA reviews and the local tourist info website in addition to other tourist info web sites and you should be able to come up with some ideas of how to spend a few hours either in town  or on a tour.

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...

We spent several days in Nafplio while on a driving tour of the Peloponnese. Enjoyed it very much. There are a number of day trips that you can do from town.

We did a day and a night in Hydra on the same trip.  Parked our car on the mainland for 2 days and took a short ferry over to Hydra.

These were two very different experiences.  Enjoyed both.