QV going to Harland & Wolff for drydock

bluemarble

It does my heart good to see that in 2022 a Cunarder is being dry-docked at Harland and Wolff.  Even if H&W is/was more of a White Star Line shipyard, what with the merger and all, and considering it's 2022 and not 1922, I am good with this!   

Queen Victoria sailed from Barbados to Newcastle upon Tyne, where she has been tied up for several days. Perhaps there is some refurbishment going on before she travels on to Belfast for dry dock. It will be good to see her plying the seas. My last voyage on her was Venice to Fort Lauderdale five or more years ago. So much water over the dam since then. 

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

Queen Victoria sailed from Barbados to Newcastle upon Tyne, where she has been tied up for several days. Perhaps there is some refurbishment going on before she travels on to Belfast for dry dock. It will be good to see her plying the seas. My last voyage on her was Venice to Fort Lauderdale five or more years ago. So much water over the dam since then. 

Why don't they use the Swan Hunter shipsyards if it is Newcastle for all of the work. In fact why sail it down the east coast of the UK only to then have to sail it completely round to Belfast. There are ship yards in possibly Glasgow or Liverpool that could do whatever work is being done in Newcastle.

56 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Why don't they use the Swan Hunter shipsyards if it is Newcastle for all of the work. In fact why sail it down the east coast of the UK only to then have to sail it completely round to Belfast. There are ship yards in possibly Glasgow or Liverpool that could do whatever work is being done in Newcastle.

Our experts on UK shipyards can correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect it comes down to drydock size. There's the A&P Tyne shipyard near by, but I'm seeing it's largest drydock is 259m (850 ft) in length. Not big enough for QV at At 294m (965 ft) in length.

@sogne has outlined what needs to be done below the waterline during the drydock. That apparently can't be done at Tyne/Newcastle.

Edited by bluemarble

• 2 months later...

Apparently the second part of the Harland & Wolff announcement regarding P&O Aurora has changed. The original plan was for Aurora to drydock at Harland & Wolff in Belfast from the 9th - 23rd June 2022. But instead Aurora departed Southampton on 9th June, arrived at Hamburg on 11th June, and is in Blohm + Voss dock 11 in Hamburg. I haven't heard a reason for the change in plans.

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Apparently the second part of the Harland & Wolff announcement regarding P&O Aurora has changed. The original plan was for Aurora to drydock at Harland & Wolff in Belfast from the 9th - 23rd June 2022. But instead Aurora departed Southampton on 9th June, arrived at Hamburg on 11th June, and is in Blohm + Voss dock 11 in Hamburg. I haven't heard a reason for the change in plans.

On the P&O pages there is much talk of Arcadia floating around channel empty after disastrous first cruise back in service so it may be she will take the H&W spot???? Accordingly sources she is in dire need of repairs on water system and general. 

3 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

On the P&O pages there is much talk of Arcadia floating around channel empty after disastrous first cruise back in service so it may be she will take the H&W spot???? Accordingly sources she is in dire need of repairs on water system and general. 

That’s interesting to hear as the initial reason given by P&O was ‘staff shortages’. 
Suspecting there was more to this sudden removal from service, we decided to cancel our forthcoming Arcadia cruise when the final balance was due in May. It will be interesting to see if she does return in July for the remaining season. 

With apologies for sidetracking the OP’s thread. 😳