Athens - Royal Excursion or self guided tour?

OrlandoTrio

We’re visiting Athens on Friday, May 20. We currently have a Best of Athens tour booked with Royal Caribbean excursions. It’s an 8 hour tour and longer than we’re likely to enjoy. 

The Acropolis and Parthenon are on our must do list.    I’ll have Yanni’s Live from the Acropolis playing on my air pods and growing up in Nashville with a full size replica of the Parthenon I know I can’t miss seeing the original.  

The metro stations near the cruise port and Acropolis make this appear to be something we could navigate on our own.  

Any feedback on doing the Acropolis and Parthenon on our own vs a scheduled tour?   Any safety concerns with the metro?  

I know we’d want to pre purchase tickets if self touring. 

We have also considered keeping the Royal excursion and heading back to the ship on our own if the tour was becoming too long. 

Thanks. 

Doing it entirely on your own is very doable if your ok with a bit of walking and figuring out metro/subways.  If you’ve mastered any subway system, you’d be fine with the one in Athens.  Safety should not be a concern. As in any city, watch your valuables.  But I felt much safer in Athens than I do in NYC subways. And I still have no problem using NYC SUBWAYS. 

The walk to the Metro in Pireaus can take 20 minutes or a little more depending on your speed.  It probably takes that same time to walk to the Acropolis in Athens.  

Depending on how much time you want to spend in Athens, you could also walk into the Agorra and over to the Temple of Olympian Zeus and maybe more. 

It’s a nice experience, if you’re a little adventurous.  I’ve done this twice.  Each time I did this, I was walking with about 20-30 other passengers from ships in port.   They were strangers, but we helped each other figure things out as needed.   Of course, weather could be a factor.  We had beautiful weather to walk in. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 3

I also vote for DIY -- but may I suggest you take either the express bus or the HOHO bus rather than the metro?  Depending on where your ship docks it can be much more than a 20 minute walk. The first time I was there I clocked it at 40 minutes. The buses, on the other hand stop right at the cruise terminal.

The X80 Express bus is my first choice. It runs only during prime tourist season (May thru October) but it is fast and super easy. Info here:  https://www.oasa.gr/en/visit-athens/x80-piraeus-acropolis-syntagma-express-bus-line/

Rick Steves has great DIY walks in his Athens book. Of course you'll do the Parthenon on top of the Acropolis, but I also think a must-not-miss is the Greek Agora right next door, especially the small museum where you can see exhibits that make you realize just what a special place this was to witness the beginnings of democracy.  The Roman Agora is also close -- the most interesting sight there is the enigmatic Tower of the Winds.  The new Acropolis museum is right across from the Acropolis and not far from one of the major X80 drop-off/pick-up points.

If you REALLY want to see the Acropolis and Parthenon at its best and least crowded, the best thing to do is get off the ship ASAP and take a taxi right to the Acropolis entrance. You'll beat the crowds and have a chance to see it before all the tour groups arrive and it is SEETHING with people...  (A taxi from the port to Acropolis is probably about 25-30 euros one way.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I also vote for DIY -- but may I suggest you take either the express bus or the HOHO bus rather than the metro?  Depending on where your ship docks it can be much more than a 20 minute walk. The first time I was there I clocked it at 40 minutes. The buses, on the other hand stop right at the cruise terminal.

The X80 Express bus is my first choice. It runs only during prime tourist season (May thru October) but it is fast and super easy. Info here:  https://www.oasa.gr/en/visit-athens/x80-piraeus-acropolis-syntagma-express-bus-line/

Thanks for the tip on the bus.  I hope that there are more buses than just one once every 40 minutes.  I was going to take the metro.

• 2 weeks later...

I was several times in Athens but first time arrived by cruise and dud a great half day Athens tour which was unforgettable,  it was not with the cruise excursion but with a local great guide . It was 6 hours and was perfectly organized . It was in a nice Mercedes car that can take up to 4 passengers and cost us 180 euro . It was really worth it and I would re do it again if I was there for the first time arriving with cruise.  The driver guide waited for us in the port and it was much better than any other solution we could think of. I can send his name if you want .

22 hours ago, mimicosti said:

I was several times in Athens but first time arrived by cruise and dud a great half day Athens tour which was unforgettable,  it was not with the cruise excursion but with a local great guide . It was 6 hours and was perfectly organized . It was in a nice Mercedes car that can take up to 4 passengers and cost us 180 euro . It was really worth it and I would re do it again if I was there for the first time arriving with cruise.  The driver guide waited for us in the port and it was much better than any other solution we could think of. I can send his name if you want .

Mimicosti - we will also be visiting Athens this year on a cruise and would live the name of the guide you previously used.  Thank you.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:33 PM, mimicosti said:

I wouldn’t be goin till 2023 but appreciate his info as well. Thank you

On 4/12/2022 at 3:48 PM, OrlandoTrio said:

We’re visiting Athens on Friday, May 20. We currently have a Best of Athens tour booked with Royal Caribbean excursions. It’s an 8 hour tour and longer than we’re likely to enjoy. 

The Acropolis and Parthenon are on our must do list.    I’ll have Yanni’s Live from the Acropolis playing on my air pods and growing up in Nashville with a full size replica of the Parthenon I know I can’t miss seeing the original. 

The metro stations near the cruise port and Acropolis make this appear to be something we could navigate on our own.  

Any feedback on doing the Acropolis and Parthenon on our own vs a scheduled tour?   Any safety concerns with the metro?  

I know we’d want to pre purchase tickets if self touring. 

We have also considered keeping the Royal excursion and heading back to the ship on our own if the tour was becoming too long. 

Thanks. 

I am on the same cruise with you, I am just now thinking of purchasing tickets for the Acropolis on line and hopping a taxi from the ship. Cruise lines often offer a bus transfer to the city when they park far away. I am hoping RCCL does this, both here and in Chania.

On 4/21/2022 at 4:33 PM, mimicosti said:

I'd love the info as well.  

I was just quoted $900Euro for a driver for an 8 hour tour the day before our cruise.

21 hours ago, atltravel said:

Cruise lines often offer a bus transfer to the city when they park far away. I am hoping RCCL does this, both here and in Chania.

There are good options for getting to Athens on your own, you don't need to depend on the cruise line. There is an express bus from the main port entrance to a drop-off point close to the Acropolis and there is also a HO-HO bus option that takes longer and has more stops in between. In the morning, trust me, you want to get into Athens ASAP before it gets too hot and too crowded at the Acropolis.

At Chania there is also a local bus that operates when cruises are in port at Souda to get you to Chania. Fairly inexpensive, maybe 2-3 euros per person each way.