Balcony door "parental controls"

dltvermont

My daughter was trying to book her family on the same cruise we are going on but the only connecting rooms, which she needs, are balconies. She is worried about access to the balcony doors at night. Her kids arent sleep walkers or anything, this is just a general parental fear "while everyone is asleep" thing. She isnt concerned during the day when they can be supervised. I cant remember as its never been an issue with us, is there any way to lock the doors so that kids cannot get onto the balcony? If so, is it a simple lock that any kid could open anyway?

How tall are they?  There is a sliding lock on the inside about 3/4 of the way up.  I don't think my 7 yo could reach it.  
Our steward locked it every time he did the room so every time I went to go out when I came back it would stop me.  lol

• Like 2

It's a door. It has a latch, lock, and as 1kaper said, an additional sliding lock. Kids don't fall off cruise ships at night. The only time I  recent memory of a kid falling from a ship, it was grandpa's poor choices that did it, not a lack of supervision. To be honest,tell your daughter to chill out.

Every balcony we've had the door was hard to open and took effort on our part, especially if it is windy. I would think that a teenager might be able to open the door. Also it is quite noisy so if your daughter is a light sleeper she would likely notice it.

• Like 1

Have her talk to the cabin steward.

I believe that balcony door can be locked by crew so that they can not be opened.

If this is an option, the locking of the balcony door may be permanent. i.e.;  for the duration of the cruise.