Deceptive Business Practices

billctx

1 hour ago, billctx said:

I booked in February for a July trip. As I mentioned this is a first cruise so not realizing the hazards of paying early I paid for the full cruise at booking. 

There are no "hazards" of booking or paying early.  Just as with buying a new car, buy early in the model year when the selection is better and get the exact vehicle you want, or wait until year end when the dealers fire sale old inventory and get whatever vehicle happens to be left over that no one else wanted.  It is not that you had already paid in full.  It is that you are now past teh final payment date that is the issue.  NCL does price match for the first 48 hours after booking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billctx said:

Has anyone filed a complaint with their state or the FTC for deceptive business practices based on a sales person making promises that are false?  When I booked my cruise (first one) I was told if at any point the price dropped I would be refunded.  Now that has occurred by over $2,000 and I am told there is no refund.  I have the representative on a recording confirming she said this but that she was unfamiliar with the policies of her own company so basically to bad.  Pretty sure that is fraud.  Has anyone had a similar issue with the Norwegian?

From some of your ensuing posts you said you booked your July cruise in February and that you paid in full when you first booked it. Then at some later point the price dropped $2,000. By chance did you try to refare your booking to get the lower fare applied or was the price drop after the final payment due date, which is usually 3 months prior to the sail date? Just curious.

• Like 1

The big key is that many of us have asked if they were past final payment date when the price drop was noticed and we're not getting a response. So I assume yet - which anyone on any cruise line will tell you is not a guarantee to adjust prices for you. If it was before, this is a moot argument as you could simply cancel without penalty and rebook at the lower price.

If the price went up since original booking, no one would expect the cruise line to raise their price on them - so why does everyone get their knickers in a twist when the company refuses to honor lower pricing after the point of no return where you've agreed you're ok with the price you were given?

This isn't about cheerleaders for NCL or raking noobies over the coals for not knowing stuff that we've learned the hard way (or through reading these boards extensively). It's about common sense and reading what you've agreed to.

• Like 8

On 4/15/2022 at 7:36 PM, SeaShark said:

Actually, your problem is that you're trying to inform people on a site whose members are informed enough that they are already aware of what you are only now learning. Likely a result of research, education, and experience beyond People magazine.

Why so much hostility?    First of all there are all kinds of people on this site from the super-informed elite like you, to absolute newbies who are learning the ins and outs and the pitfalls. 

It is not too much to expect, when you are talking to a rep from NCL, that they should know what the heck they are talking about and not mislead (either intentionally or unintentionally) potential customers.  

Of course the OP bears some responsibility for reading the contract, doing research, etc.  Fine but when you reach out to supposed experts directly at the source, often you do just kind of trust the answers.  Especially if you are used to dealing with reputable companies with informed, well-trained employees. 

I think its valuable for other people to be made aware of this experience.  If you don't get any value from it, I guess you don't have to keep hanging around the thread. 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2022 at 7:17 PM, billctx said:

I booked in February for a July trip. As I mentioned this is a first cruise so not realizing the hazards of paying early I paid for the full cruise at booking. 

There is no hazard in paying in advance so long as you understand the payment terms you are signing up to. You have all the way to final payment date to cancel and rebook at the current fares and promos. 

If you are outside final payment, cancel your booking and rebook. I suspect you are now inside final payment by a few weeks. If you acted two weeks ago, then there would be no issue. Since you didn't act two weeks ago, your price is your price. 

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There is no hazard in paying in advance so long as you understand the payment terms you are signing up to. You have all the way to final payment date to cancel and rebook at the current fares and promos. 

If you are outside final payment, cancel your booking and rebook. I suspect you are now inside final payment by a few weeks. If you acted two weeks ago, then there would be no issue. Since you didn't act two weeks ago, your price is your price. 

Thanks for the input and I am past the date. I did call NCL earlier when the price initially dropped but was told since I could refund anytime I should wait to see if it went lower which I did. Now I am past the date so out of options. Fully understand I should have verified what I was told but I assumed the employee understood their policies. The employee stalled me for two weeks to call back and say all of the information I was given was wrong and she didn’t know their policies which was my frustration with the initial post. Lesson learned. 

12 minutes ago, billctx said:

Thanks for the input and I am past the date. I did call NCL earlier when the price initially dropped but was told since I could refund anytime I should wait to see if it went lower which I did. Now I am past the date so out of options. Fully understand I should have verified what I was told but I assumed the employee understood their policies. The employee stalled me for two weeks to call back and say all of the information I was given was wrong and she didn’t know their policies which was my frustration with the initial post. Lesson learned. 

Did you ask to be upgraded? To a higher category cabin that is now selling at the price you paid?

4 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Did you ask to be upgraded? To a higher category cabin that is now selling at the price you paid?

I did and we are already in a club balcony and they will not give a Haven cabin which is the only upgrade option. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billctx said:

I did and we are already in a club balcony and they will not give a Haven cabin which is the only upgrade option. 

Since this topic is put to rest, enjoy the cruise.  Boards/forums in general have all kinds of people, a lot of experts, a lot of wannabe experts, some first timers.  Do not take it personal, we are all here with something in common...we enjoy cruising!  If for some reason the cruise was below expectations feel free to post it, some people will probably roast you and say your a complainer...but dont worry, everyone has their opinions and tons of other cruise lines out there for you to find the better fit.

• Like 3