Portable Ramp for Balcony Access

kitty9

Has anyone used a portable ramp to access your cabin's balcony?  We will be taking extended cruises and I want to be able to use our balcony, but since I cannot physically get onto the balcony because I use a scooter full time, I want to know if a small, portable ramp would work.  Also, does anyone know the general height of the threshold for most cabin doorways?  

Thanks

I recently got off Carnival Legend in a accessible extended balcony.  They had a ramp out to the balcony, it was very steep.  I didn't try to take my scooter out there, but, I walked out there a few times and it was very difficult.  I actually dropped the door on my bare foot, ouch.  I do not know if that is a standard feature or not.  What line/ship are you on?

5 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Have you asked on the Oceania board?  Sometimes miracles can be done on higher end lines, especially for the top suites.  @Flatbush Flyermight have some advice.  EM

Contact specialservices@oceaniacruises.com (and/or have your TA do it ASAP but no later than at least a month pre-embarkation).

Special services hasn’t been very helpful.  Someone from O sent me photos of ramps I could buy, but still no info on the height of step down to the balcony, and I need that info to buy the ramp.  My TA has been on the case, but still nothing to him from O. 

Yes, I did post this on Oceania’s board here.  

Exterior doors on ships usually are raised above the floor on both sides of the door, with controlling water a primary reason.

If you put a ramp on the interior side of the door, you would likely still face a step down, which might interfere with your coming back into the cabin.

Accessible balcony staterooms generally come with a solution to provide balcony access, either with ramping or other solution.

Generally speaking, you want a foot of ramp for every inch in height, so for a 3 inch rise, you want a three foot ramp. 

Many balconies may not be wide enough to accommodate a three foot ramp. You can use a shorter ramp, but it will be steeper.

Safe travels!