Got COVID on April 9th-16th Apex sailing

hooskydo

39 minutes ago, drarill said:

Hi Rick.  Just wanted to update you on my Paxlovid journey.  Today, four days after testing + I had two negative tests.  I still need to finish two more rounds of Paxlovid. I know a couple of friends that have  been treated with Paxlovid, all of them with only one booster, all tested negative two days after finishing the treatment.  I think  my second booster helped me beat this faster.  BTW, my husband, is still negative... he swears the wine gave him some extra protection. 😄  He must be right, because I didn't let my guard down and  he didn't use the mask all the time like I did. 🙄 Maybe some day, antivirals will be available in the  ship's infirmary. Still, timing of your booster can make a big difference, mine was too close to our cruise, but I didn't have any other option.  

IMG_7657.jpg

I also tested negative 3 days into the 5 days of treatment, also 4 days after testing positive (on antigen and a pcr that i had taken the day before). I think it expedited my recovery

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, renji said:

I had covid last week (no idea where I got it, perhaps at work 6 days before I tested positive). I have no health issues and am 54, my Pfizer booster (I had Pfizer, considered getting Moderna but it wasn’t available) was October so was definitely due for the 4th shot. But in January my partner and I were both exposed, same mild flu symptoms, he tested positive and I did not (omicron 1?)  So I was surprised to get so sick and flemmy that I had a tough time breathing deeply (omicron 2? No idea). The Paxlovid (which I had to wait a day for because even though my insurance covered, my usual pharmacy couldn’t code it, so I had to find another pharmacy) was a game changer. Within 1-2 hours I was considerably better and was breathing freely. In fact, every time I took it, I advanced meaningfully (and quickly) but then stayed feeling the same level of symptoms until the next dose.  And then stayed the same for over a week after the final dose, still sick but so much better.  I think every passenger should have Paxlovid with them so they can start it right away….I am not sure why it is so limited right now, there is supposedly plenty of supply.  The bitter taste in my mouth for a week was unpleasant but worth it.  

I just read a medical article today about Paxlovid. Apparently some people can rebound and test positive and be sick again 14 days later. I thought that was interesting. Just FYI.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, MDTrip said:

I just read a medical article today about Paxlovid. Apparently some people can rebound and test positive and be sick again 14 days later. I thought that was interesting. Just FYI.

It’s so new! Good to know, will keep a watch

• Like 1

Curious.......Is Paxlovid readily available to anyone who is Covid positive in the U.S. who asks for it?  My pharmacist friend explained to me that here in Ontario, one who tests Covid positive via a PCR test is only prescribed Paxlovid if they meet certain criteria.  

39 minutes ago, Reel Love said:

Curious.......Is Paxlovid readily available to anyone who is Covid positive in the U.S. who asks for it?  My pharmacist friend explained to me that here in Ontario, one who tests Covid positive via a PCR test is only prescribed Paxlovid if they meet certain criteria.  

I have read of a few different instances where positive cases were turned down for Paxlovid treatment. One was too young, one was quite elderly and had to have a renal function test done first and another was on statins. Apparently it is contraindicated with statins.

MDTrip, I'd also read about the rebound effect after treatment. Patients had felt better, tested negative and then had rebound symptoms and positive tests on or around day ten. Treatment is still a work in progress.

• Like 2

Here is what I have learned.

If you test positive while on your cruise get as much completed as you can before you get off the boat.

If you have onboard prepaid charges or thermal spa passes, get them to credit your partial refunds you are due to the onboard account. Also get the copies of the covid tests they administered.

I am currently trying to get my partial refund and they want this information. They did not respond to my email so I waited on hold today. They also did not send me any information on how to proceed. It's my belief that it's up to the passengers to be as proactive as possible to get the promised refunds after you are off the boat. This is the number I called 844-418-6824.

• Like 2