Kmom Live-ish from Carnival Vista April 23-30, 2022

KmomChicago

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I remember a slow boat ride in which wildlife was pointed out. I don't remember a lot of walking on uneven terrain. I think that was in 2003 or 2004, so my memory of the second part may not be totally accurate, but I do remember the boat ride. They faked running out of gas on the way back. I remember feeling that they were trying to elicit extra tips with their heroic getting us back to the bus to the ship on time.

I will post more about this excursion but it won’t be until after the cruise is over.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I will post more about this excursion but it won’t be until after the cruise is over.

OK, looking forward to it. Our cruise in which we saw Lamanai was dedicated to seeing Mayan ruins. Also had a Mayan ruins excursion in Cozumel. (None in Key West. 🤣) We were very impressed with Lamanai.

It was supposed to be a 5 day cruise that turned into a 7 day cruise because of a hurricane did not originally let us get back to Fort Lauderdale.

• Like 1

Last sea day begins on the sipping couch. Time to drag the suitcases out from under the bed, dig out $20 bills for various crew (we always prepay grats of course), figure out what we’ve forgotten to do or eat or experience (looking at you, ropes course and water slides!), take long last looks at this ship we likely won’t ever grace again.

We’re typically not repeaters by nature. I have nothing against this or any other Carnival ship but with so much variety and cruises being near impossible for us to get to easily at any port, why would we?

So far we have sailed one each of the following Carnival classes:

Destiny (Triumph)

Fantasy (Sensation)

Excel (Mardi Gras)

Spirit (Legend) 

Vista (Vista)

And coming up in just a few weeks a shorty on:

Sunshine (Radiance) and yes I fully understand that’s the redone Destiny class so I get to sorta revisit a class but then, not really due to the refit and the fact that it’s still a different ship than the actual one we sailed previously. 

I mean nothing negative with this next statement but after Radiance I’m not sure about our future with Carnival. As I just mentioned the logistics of getting to any cruise departure port are daunting and expensive and I’m getting sick of it, much as we enjoy ourselves once aboard. 

In fact I’ve done plenty of travel in my life, only a fraction of it on cruise ships, purposely while I was in my younger years so I could enjoy it to the fullest. My bucket list has nothing significant left to check off. 

I think we will likely cruise again and Carnival will continue to be on the short list, but the drive to go go go is declining and staycations have more appeal than they once did. 

I’m leaning back from my role as aggressive planner and driver of family trips, so we’ll see how long it takes for DH or the teen to bring up the idea again, and what that idea looks like when they put it forth. 

I’m already transitioning this morning out of vacation mode and into logistics management mode, which is not the same thing at all.

image.jpg

• Like 9

@KmomChicago.....I absolutely love your style of writing, by any chance do you have a blog?

You have the best way of putting things into perspective as well, like your comment regarding possible job change over on the other thread!  You were the first to address the "elephant in the room" and I loved the way you handled it.

Your cruising reviews are TOP NOTCH!  I may have withdrawals once you leave!

Thanks for all you have shared with us!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hogladyrider said:

@KmomChicago.....I absolutely love your style of writing, by any chance do you have a blog?

You have the best way of putting things into perspective as well, like your comment regarding possible job change over on the other thread!  You were the first to address the "elephant in the room" and I loved the way you handled it.

Your cruising reviews are TOP NOTCH!  I may have withdrawals once you leave!

Thanks for all you have shared with us!

You’re very kind, Hoglady. I have started and abandoned two blogs. Just don’t have time or inclination to maintain it. 

I have a master’s degree in Communication from the University of Illinois and always had a way with the English language. I have zero athletic, musical or artistic ability. I’m not great socially, I’m inclined to be lazy and thrifty to a fault. This is the only talent I was given and I do use it in my professional life. 

The perspective is a great gift I developed over many years thanks to the school of hard knocks.  I always hoped one day I’d become a wise person. Not quite there yet but it’s the goal. 

Appreciate the encouragement. 😍

• Like 15

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

You’re very kind, Hoglady. I have started and abandoned two blogs. Just don’t have time or inclination to maintain it. 

I have a master’s degree in Communication from the University of Illinois and always had a way with the English language. I have zero athletic, musical or artistic ability. I’m not great socially, I’m inclined to be lazy and thrifty to a fault. This is the only talent I was given and I do use it in my professional life. 

The perspective is a great gift I developed over many years thanks to the school of hard knocks.  I always hoped one day I’d become a wise person. Not quite there yet but it’s the goal. 

Appreciate the encouragement. 😍

Well I am NOT good with writing.....I ramble on often way too much, but it is the thought that counts.

I too am not good socially, and I have discovered great comfort in becoming a minimalist since retirement and living full time in an RV!

Age certainly has its pluses!  Time for my daily walk to keep my aches and pains at bay!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glad that you have a late flight! We were on Vista 4/2 and we were late getting back to Galveston too.  We are platinum and did self carry of our luggage so we were in the first group off the ship and it was after 10.  We had a 12:15 flight from Hobby and we barely made it.  Got to the gate about 10 minutes before boarding.  Talk about a stressful end to vacation!

• Like 1

Last morning on the sipping couch. I usually bring an insulated cup for coffee and water but forgot this time and did fine with ship cups. Decaf with cream followed by some o’ dat sweet guava passion fruit Tangish stuff. Got the record I never drink sweet soft drinks at home and very little alcohol. Back to all water all the time very soon.

I have no idea where we are. Sky is still black and I didn’t want to wake DH to pull up the tracker on the room TV.

We are to be out of the room at 0830 which apparently means 3900 loiterers all over the ship for 3 or 4 hours. 

Also the sipping couch is not in a smoking area but someone just lit up next to me regardless. So I’m sipping on the move instead. They wanna be kind and considerate and make the world a better place their way, I’ll do mine which is quietly leaving the immediate area without eye contact, attitude or comment. 

E9231B65-27CA-4896-94D3-C6C7D16D28AC.thumb.jpeg.a8a28913855aacd0911d33c020cc378a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.bdfd7e78a625c97c09c3745d4411921b.jpg

• Like 5

Getting to the end here and my review ended up being more live than I planned. I sometimes like the game of being sent on recon missions but didn’t particularly want that this time around.  Sorry if anyone ended up disappointed. 

Except for shore excursion days (busy!) it’s been fun and easy to post whatever seems interesting throughout and it’s a wonderful bonus to be joined by far off correspondents. Thanks for your likes, laughs, and posts. Your company has added many smiles to this journey. 

How’s the ship? Is really the operative question for every reviewer. I’ve been accused of being one of those die hard defenders of Carnival but I don’t think that’s fair or accurate. Just because WE LIKE IT doesn’t mean anyone else should. So take that into account as my overall, long rambling opinion commences below. 

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 7

Disclaimer: I’ve never had a bad cruise. The vast majority of my travel growing up was camping, first in a homemade simple pop-up camper which fell apart after a few years, then tents, then a short, secondhand Layton and last an old, short Airstream. 

Since growing up in the mid-80’s I’ve experienced an incredibly broad range of travel conditions for various reasons. I’ve stayed in hostels, motels, hotels in every star category including zero. I’ve visited all but a few of the United States including Hawaii, as well as the UK, Netherlands, Italy, France, China, Peru, Iceland, Mexico, Canada, Bahamas and parts of the Caribbean.

I lived in Central Florida for 16 years and worked at Walt Disney World for 5, getting comp or steeply discounted stays at several site and DVC locations as well as two short cruises when Disney Magic was shiny and new.

• Like 5

You’re dealing with someone who, in general, just LOVES travel and always has. I love traveling enough that the excitement often literally blinds me to negative deets. 

Yes, I am so tickled just to be able to GO that usually everything is pretty awesome unless I become physically uncomfortable, too hot or cold, unable to sleep, sick / ill, motion sick, or some person starts threatening me or screaming directly in my face. The other thing that ruins my experience is if someone I’m with is unhappy. That just kills me. 

As long as I don’t have any of those problems, travel is great FOR ME. I fully understand that things that roll off me are intolerable for some others. But I just don’t care about a lot of stuff that I read people ranting about. 

• Like 9

Carnival Vista: 

The Good:

Lots of amenities and diversions.

Contemporary decor throughout. 

Many food options included.

Ample pools and deck chairs.

Carnival crew and staff toiling away as always.

Laid back, chill attitude. I’m a slob but never feel like it matters on Carnival.

Skyride bike. I really liked it, no extra charge and rarely a long wait. 

Marketplace buffet is large and attractive.

Stateroom feels fresh, spacious and bright.

Everything you like about Carnival is here.

The (relatively) bad:

Liquid Lounge seating is uncomfortable, lots of terrible sight lines, and too small for a ship that holds over 4k passengers.

Ship has had frequent propulsion issues in its short life.

Punchliner is too small for demand.

Some nights there are not enough entertainment options or most of it is too late. 

In the post Farcus era, ships have no visual personality. They’re clean, gorgeous and sleek but anonymous and sterile.

The floor in our hallway is spongy and my husband says something is very wrong and  it’s gonna collapse eventually.

• Like 7

All things equal, I would sail Disney again. It was very nice.  It’s not worth 2-3x Carnival $$ though, not for me anyway. I’d also sail RCI Oasis Class again, still the absolute best overall experience we ever had for the dollar - Spring Break 2018, inside guarantee for about $2800 for 7 nights, 3 passengers, with prepaid grats and insurance. The Oasis class was built for a reason and we fit into the model. 

Mardi Gras was our favorite Carnival ship and very close to our Oasis experience. Like many people we are suckers for the latest and greatest, biggest and boldest, next shiny object.

If you think about it, it’s an odd thing, money. It’s sort of, nothing. It’s an artificial construct humans developed to aid in creating an economy of trade. Animals don’t have it and we didn’t either for a long time and yet we thrived. The cosmos doesn’t naturally provide it to us as an element necessary for life. Air, water, and sunlight, for example, are vastly more valuable commodities, and given freely by the universe. Those are real and precious things. 

But anyway, money is why we usually pick Carnival. In the US cash economy we live in, it’s almost always the best value, sometimes by a little but usually by a lot.  I’ll make it easy.

Cruises cost money.

Carnival demands less of it. 
We keep more of it. 
We Win!

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Getting to the end here and my review ended up being more live than I planned. I sometimes like the game of being sent on recon missions but didn’t particularly want that this time around.  Sorry if anyone ended up disappointed. 

Except for shore excursion days (busy!) it’s been fun and easy to post whatever seems interesting throughout and it’s a wonderful bonus to be joined by far off correspondents. Thanks for your likes, laughs, and posts. Your company has added many smiles to this journey. 

How’s the ship? Is really the operative question for every reviewer. I’ve been accused of being one of those die hard defenders of Carnival but I don’t think that’s fair or accurate. Just because WE LIKE IT doesn’t mean anyone else should. So take that into account as my overall, long rambling opinion commences below. 

It's been fun following along, plus contributing what little I could.

• Like 1