First time Oceana cruiser

oskidunker

We are booking Oct 1, 2022 17 trip on Serena.  We are booking o line fares with premium econ up grade from sfo toLRH . What airline will they likely use? Also do they use night flights or day flights? We asked for free excursions as opposed to the $500 pp credit. Is this the way to go? I know you are limited to what excursions you can pick. 

We were on the ship when it was Ocean Princess so excited to see the changes. Last cruise was on Celebrity which we felt was ann upgrade from Princess.

We asking  king for a diversion to spend some time in the Uk

2 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

We are booking Oct 1, 2022 17 trip on Serena.  We are booking o line fares with premium econ up grade from sfo toLRH . What airline will they likely use? Also do they use night flights or day flights? We asked for free excursions as opposed to the $500 pp credit. Is this the way to go? I know you are limited to what excursions you can pick. 

We were on the ship when it was Ocean Princess so excited to see the changes. Last cruise was on Celebrity which we felt was ann upgrade from Princess.

We asking  king for a diversion to spend some time in the Uk

I can't comment on the airline questions as we always book our own flights.

Yes, the excursion OLife option is a much better option than the Shipboard Credit option, if you choose your excursions wisely.  The added cost per person above cruise only fare for any of the OLife options is the same as the SBC per person, so it's a wash, but it turns the cost into non-refundable SBC.  So it becomes use it or lose it.  Some folks like it for convenience, but there are no savings.

Alternatively, the OLife cost  translates into paying $100 per excursion above the cruise only fare.  So $500 pp for OLife gets you 5 excursions pp.  But...you may choose any excursion valued up to about $200, with some exclusions such as those labeled OE, OS, and private driver.  If you chose wisely from the standard list, you can almost double the value of the OLife cost.

In addition, on most cruises, if you choose more than a specific number (that number is cruise dependent), you qualify for a 25% discount on all the other excursions in the option called Your World Collection.  Usually the number you need is just 2 or three more than the OLife excursions which count towards the minimum number needed for the YWC.

Hope this helps,

The major non-stops from SFO the London Heathrow are United, Virgin, Delta and British Airways and I suspect United is the most likely. All of them are overnight flights and if you get United their Premium Economy Plus is really nice if that is what you are upgrading to. I strongly suggest the bulkhead seats in their premium economy plus if you can get them

You’ll love the Serena “do over” and you’ll find the food a significant upgrade from both Princess and Celebrity. It is the only Oceania R ship that has Red Ginger, Oceania’s beloved Asian restaurant. 

And yes, you must spend extra time in London so it is worth the extra cost for the deviation. As long as your spending the deviation money you might want to check the premium economy seats on all the various airlines and ask you TA to see if you can select the specific airline you’d like since you are probably paying the change fee to the extra time inLondon and this fee can also be used to select a specific airline

33 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I can't comment on the airline questions as we always book our own flights.

Yes, the excursion OLife option is a much better option than the Shipboard Credit option, if you choose your excursions wisely.  The added cost per person above cruise only fare for any of the OLife options is the same as the SBC per person, so it's a wash, but it turns the cost into non-refundable SBC.  So it becomes use it or lose it.  Some folks like it for convenience, but there are no savings.

Alternatively, the OLife cost  translates into paying $100 per excursion above the cruise only fare.  So $500 pp for OLife gets you 5 excursions pp.  But...you may choose any excursion valued up to about $200, with some exclusions such as those labeled OE, OS, and private driver.  If you chose wisely from the standard list, you can almost double the value of the OLife cost.

In addition, on most cruises, if you choose more than a specific number (that number is cruise dependent), you qualify for a 25% discount on all the other excursions in the option called Your World Collection.  Usually the number you need is just 2 or three more than the OLife excursions which count towards the minimum number needed for the YWC.

Hope this helps,

Agreed- the O Life excursions option with enough added tours for YWYW discount has excellent value.

I also warn OP to be aware of what exactly is meant by “premium economy” since the labels for a “better ride” vary from airline to airline. For example, “premium economy” on United is basically extra legroom in the economy section while “premium plus” is basically bizclass but w/o lay flat seats. BTW, I would  advise against bulkhead seats for the obvious reason.

In any case, I’ve never taken the O air since the credit is nice to have for DIY bizclass. BTW, never use O bizclass. The price may look good until you realize that you’re not getting credit for the economy tix you already had to buy from O to get the bizclass quote.

As for the the conversion of the long neglected Ocean Princess that is now Sirena: You’ll be amazed at what the initial $40 million refit (plus the recent NEXT update) accomplished.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

See what the air credit will be if you book your own flights.  By the time you pay the deviation you might be better off booking yourselves....with complete control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

So I might be better off on British Air?

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

So I might be better off on British Air?

Perhaps, but unless you have high status with BA or AA beware of BA's notorious seat selection fee even in PE or Business Class.

• Like 3

To answer your  question.....   Flights from  SFO  to LHR   are ALL over night 10.5   hours... in the air   and  you need a lie flat...... one trip and you will  understand       Returning from LHR or Europe will all be in daylight and almost 12 hours.        The jet lag is felt most on the out bound.   Many PE seats are 3 and 4 across... that is not fun... 

Understand too, that  it is important to arrive at  your first destination rested and not whacked for days due to  choosing what you thought  was a  lux seat.      Pe does not deliver in my book and experience, with over 30+ SFO to europe and Aisia trips  I learned...... how important the start is to  the outcome of the rest of the trip   

See Seat guru  and study the aircraft  and its seating   Delta..AA..UAL       Your can use IATA  Matrix to compare  the flights.

O is going to pick what suits them best     In that respect DO NOT expect a non stop        SFO-- to east coast ... THEN east coast to LHR  a 6.5-7 hour flight in the PE... 

Your domestic portions will all be in economy for 5-6 hours  to get to Say JFK. EWR, BOS, ORD  DFW, ATL  etc.        Same with the return    Prem econ only as far as the first American airport then economy coach back to SFO..     

Again,  there is NO standard for Prem Econ....  every line has a different seat,  service...   Many times glorified coach with  only 4 inches more leg room   and the same recline....  It is not much more to book full Business .  I favor UAL out of SFO      The 787 -10   will give you the best ride with the least jet lag   Next is the 767-300     

P2130563.jpg

10 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

To answer your  question.....   Flights from  SFO  to LHR   are ALL over night 10.5   hours... in the air   and  you need a lie flat...... one trip and you will  understand       Returning from LHR or Europe will all be in daylight and almost 12 hours.        The jet lag is felt most on the out bound.   Many PE seats are 3 and 4 across... that is not fun... 

Understand too, that  it is important to arrive at  your first destination rested and not whacked for days due to  choosing what you thought  was a  lux seat.      Pe does not deliver in my book and experience, with over 30+ SFO to europe and Aisia trips  I learned...... how important the start is to  the outcome of the rest of the trip   

See Seat guru  and study the aircraft  and its seating   Delta..AA..UAL       Your can use IATA  Matrix to compare  the flights.

O is going to pick what suits them best     In that respect DO NOT expect a non stop        SFO-- to east coast ... THEN east coast to LHR  a 6.5-7 hour flight in the PE... 

Your domestic portions will all be in economy for 5-6 hours  to get to Say JFK. EWR, BOS, ORD  DFW, ATL  etc.        Same with the return    Prem econ only as far as the first American airport then economy coach back to SFO..     

Again,  there is NO standard for Prem Econ....  every line has a different seat,  service...   Many times glorified coach with  only 4 inches more leg room   and the same recline....  It is not much more to book full Business .  I favor UAL out of SFO      The 787 -10   will give you the best ride with the least jet lag   Next is the 767-300     

P2130563.jpg

And don’t forget SFO’s Polaris Lounge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And don’t forget SFO’s Polaris Lounge. 

A heck of a good point..... In BuThey have really upped their game  .  Not only  do you get a bed in the sky, good wines, excellent 4-5 course meals  but a better overall trip.      The new Business lounges, reserved exclusive for  Business passengers who are ticketed are a mini destination in them selves.

They offer complimentary fine wine and liquors,  Sit down restaurants service,  or a buffet ti you choose serving western and Asian cuisine.... all complimentary.    Then there  are lie down  relaxing rooma and private bathrooms and showers.    Heading through security or customs?    at  many airport you have a special private custom/immigration fast track.....  get to the baggage claim and an airline guy will have already pulled your luggage  so that  when you walk out of immigration.... they hand it to you.... and in minutes you in a cab heading  to where ever...........

Here is what I experienced on a recrnt trip... arrived at  the airport. long wait at counter...  but not at the Business Class check line... in min   was given a fast track pass through TSA and then to the business lounge...   took 5 min to get through.. while hundreds waited on non fast track lines... Went to the Lounge, found a nice over stuffed  Lounge chair, then went  to their bar grabbed a bloddy mary and got a table  and ordered Eggs Benidict and a pastry.    Since it was earily,  I took a shower and  freshened up. 

Boarder the plane, served Champaign  mimosa .    In arrival some 12 hours later  after a full meal, and wines and 8 hours sleep in a bed on the plane.. I was met with by a co rep who took me to  the lounge in their airport. after first giving  me a fast track pass though immigration,   For a full sit down breakfast...   but first took a long hot shower, shaved and changed   clothes before eating.    .... They went to collect my luggage.  which they have pulled   ..     

The airport on departure or arrival  was a treat in it's self...   sort of like O. cruise ....and at the madhouse for many  "the Airport" ( source of many divorces, anxieties, fears and  sucside contemplations)..................     

See ya in the Air as  George Cloony  said in Up  in the Air....  ( great movie if you contemplate  air travel.)  .     

Is it worth it?    Is a frogs rear watertight?.... is the Pope catholic.?......

tahits 2017 009.JPG

tahits 2017 007.JPG

france maine, ak 2017 241.JPG

france maine, ak 2017 240.JPG

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

A heck of a good point..... In BuThey have really upped their game  .  Not only  do you get a bed in the sky, good wines, excellent 4-5 course meals  but a better overall trip.      The new Business lounges, reserved exclusive for  Business passengers who are ticketed are a mini destination in them selves.

They offer complimentary fine wine and liquors,  Sit down restaurants service,  or a buffet ti you choose serving western and Asian cuisine.... all complimentary.    Then there  are lie down  relaxing rooma and private bathrooms and showers.    Heading through security or customs?    at  many airport you have a special private custom/immigration fast track.....  get to the baggage claim and an airline guy will have already pulled your luggage  so that  when you walk out of immigration.... they hand it to you.... and in minutes you in a cab heading  to where ever...........

Here is what I experienced on a recrnt trip... arrived at  the airport. long wait at counter...  but not at the Business Class check line... in min   was given a fast track pass through TSA and then to the business lounge...   took 5 min to get through.. while hundreds waited on non fast track lines... Went to the Lounge, found a nice over stuffed  Lounge chair, then went  to their bar grabbed a bloddy mary and got a table  and ordered Eggs Benidict and a pastry.    Since it was earily,  I took a shower and  freshened up. 

Boarder the plane, served Champaign  mimosa .    In arrival some 12 hours later  after a full meal, and wines and 8 hours sleep in a bed on the plane.. I was met with by a co rep who took me to  the lounge in their airport. after first giving  me a fast track pass though immigration,   For a full sit down breakfast...   but first took a long hot shower, shaved and changed   clothes before eating.    .... They went to collect my luggage.  which they have pulled   ..     

The airport on departure or arrival  was a treat in it's self...   sort of like O. cruise ....and at the madhouse for many  "the Airport" ( source of many divorces, anxieties, fears and  sucside contemplations)..................     

See ya in the Air as  George Cloony  said in Up  in the Air....  ( great movie if you contemplate  air travel.)  .     

Is it worth it?    Is a frogs rear watertight?.... is the Pope catholic.?......

tahits 2017 009.JPG

tahits 2017 007.JPG

france maine, ak 2017 241.JPG

france maine, ak 2017 240.JPG

For intercontinental long hauls, particularly transpacific, bizclass is worth the research to find the best price and then “bite the bullet” (if you are used to “coach.” Same goes for routes requiring intercontinental connections (for which 3+ hour layovers are the smart strategy - for the obvious reasons) where the available lounge quality and, of course, lay flats are a must. 

• Like 1