Do I need extra insurance in case of positive covid test?

tampadee

oh gosh, I wouldn't take that chance!  With Covid as an additional issue on cruising, it is probably even more important to get Premium insurance to make sure your investment is covered and you don't need to worry.  Take it from someone who is shocked and needing to use the insurance!!!  :-0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4 cruisers said:

oh gosh, I wouldn't take that chance!  With Covid as an additional issue on cruising, it is probably even more important to get Premium insurance to make sure your investment is covered and you don't need to worry.  Take it from someone who is shocked and needing to use the insurance!!!  :-0

The premium vs the standard insurance?  

If you cancel for a covered reason - medical, for example - you get 100% cash reimbursement.

If you cancel for a non-covered reason, you get a percentage in FCC.

COVID is a medical condition diagnosed with a test, and you are restricted from travel by a doctor’s orders.

Edited by Babr

10 hours ago, GSLMOM said:

The premium vs the standard insurance?  

8 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You'll get a bigger percentage (all?) of your cruise investment back with premium as opposed to standard.  (Minus the cost of the insurance)

It’s standard or platinum (not premium ). Standard is 70%, platinum is 90%. 

• Like 1

The point is that Norwegian Booksafe Travel Protection is an insurance policy underwritten by Nationwide to protect you from financial loss for a number of medical and travel risks if you file a claim for a covered reason. See the Travel Protection Insurance Certificate.

CFAR is an extra feature provided by Norwegian - not the insurance company - that gives you a reduced percentage of the cruise fare in FCC if you cancel for any reason other than the ones listed in the policy. See the Cancel For Any Reason Credit Feature.

COVID is a medical condition. It is a covered reason for cancellation. This policy requires that a doctor confirm the diagnosis and state that you are restricted from travel because you are indeed infected with a virus that poses a risk to public health. See #1 under the heading Trip Cancellation.

Otherwise the claim will be denied. In that case, you must present the letter of denial to Norwegian who will issue FCC in accordance with the terms of the policy you bought.  Keep in mind that the Essentials plan has no cancellation coverage. It offers post-departure benefits only.

If you want all of your money back, you must file a properly documented claim. If you don’t provide the necessary supporting documents, you are eligible to receive reduced FCC when the claim is denied. This insurance policy or any other is separate from any COVID assistance program which the cruise line may have in effect at the time you cancel.

Cruise Cancelled by Guest

• If, following a declaration of a Public Health Emergency, you cancel a booking for a cruise scheduled during the declared emergency or must cancel your booking because you are prohibited from traveling to the vessel due to a governmental travel restriction, but the cruise is not cancelled, you are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. In all other cases our standard cancellation policy will apply, as set forth in the Cruise Ticket Contract for your cruise.
  • If you, your family members or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. To qualify for the FCC, if your COVID-19 test was administered by a provider other than one retained by Norwegian, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Norwegian.

This answers my question.  I have no objection to receiving FCC if I test positive just before sailing.  

45 minutes ago, tampadee said:

• If, following a declaration of a Public Health Emergency, you cancel a booking for a cruise scheduled during the declared emergency or must cancel your booking because you are prohibited from traveling to the vessel due to a governmental travel restriction, but the cruise is not cancelled, you are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. In all other cases our standard cancellation policy will apply, as set forth in the Cruise Ticket Contract for your cruise.
  • If you, your family members or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. To qualify for the FCC, if your COVID-19 test was administered by a provider other than one retained by Norwegian, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Norwegian.

This answers my question.  I have no objection to receiving FCC if I test positive just before sailing.  

I am, unfortunately, going through this now. Tested positive on April 20th. Embarkation was supposed to be on May 1st. I submitted my positive PCR test on April 22nd, and I’m waiting on the FCC so I can rebook. 

Edited by Trela1234

1 hour ago, tampadee said:

That’s fine as long as you understand how it works, and you are satisfied with it.

Some here seemed to be confusing insurance, CFAR, and COVID assistance from the cruise line. They are not interchangeable terms in meaning or function.