TOO much ambiguity, we just cancelled 8/1 APEX trip

tinaincc

I hope we all know the risks of cruising (or other major travel) until this health problem is history. And we all can determine for ourselves how “risk tolerant” we are. With all the problems associated with all major travel — even before the current health situation — the added problems are just too much for us. We never cancelled a cruise because of the problems — we just never booked. I do not criticize Celebrity or any travel provider for their rules to make travel as safe as possible. But the “hassle factor” has become too great for us to become involved.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 9:15 PM, SkystheLimit said:

Not sure but think might have had the same TA.  He berated us for cancelling cruises during this fragile time. Told us I don't get paid if you don't sail. Not exactly a warm relationship.

Edited by Loracpin2
relevancy

On 4/28/2022 at 6:41 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Influenza A & B, staph, venereal diseases, HIV, norovirus, the common cold and on and on. We walk among some of these infectious diseases, and a whole lot more, every day of our lives. But we are never tested for those diseases in order to determine how we live our lives. As quickly as the world responded to this latest infectious incursion and as successful as treatments and protocols have been in degrading its severity, perhaps we should cease testing and mandatory regulations. Is it time to settle down and realize that CV is here to stay and we just have to live with it?

It is no wonder that so many travelers do not yet want to travel. We are prepped for travel, as much as we can be. DW and I are no more concerned about being infected with Covid19 than we are about being infected with any other of the diseases mentioned above. At the same time we realize that anything is possible. Always have. The only difference is Covid19 gets us locked up. At this point in time I don’t think that should be.

We will be cruising in a couple of weeks. If there are 2000 people on the ship and during the cruise 200 people get Covid19 and 200 more folks share Influenza A or B, can you honestly tell me which group will fare the best, or worst. And, if one group is confined to quarters, should not the other be as well?

Think about it.

Agree - I fear we gave up a big slice of privacy/freedom as a result of this pandemic and it may never come back.

On 4/29/2022 at 5:26 AM, SbbquilterUT said:

I am a bit confused about this being a new concern - we were quarantined on our B2b in January and knew that was a possibility when we cruised then, so I do not see this as a new concern nor lack of transparency.  Please choose what makes you comfortable. 

New concern to me because when I cruised in July we were still being told the noble lie from our leaders that vaccination prevents infection. I felt bullet proof and confident I would not get Covid. Now that has obviously changed. This fact plus the location of quarantine is a no go for me.

On 5/1/2022 at 5:01 PM, jjsnonna said:

I don't understand the "quarantined against your will" phrase.  My understanding is that if you test positive you are quarantined, as it should be.  If you are with someone who tests positive, you are quarantined until you have a negative test.  Those have always been the rules, correct?

The fact that the can determine a “close contact” and can test anyone they want (and isolate you while results come back is what I mean when I say testing against my will. 

• Like 4

On 4/28/2022 at 11:19 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Ok…I will jump in ….

We had a cruise booked for departure 4/24. Equinox.. in a Celebrity Suite. 

When I began to read all the posts, I became concerned. I read what JetBlue had to say with sincere sympathy.  Even though we have been vaccinated and boosted, and had COVID in January, we became concerned. 
We agreed that, if one of us tested positive, even a false positive,  we could not deal with the consequences. After all, this is an expensive cruise and we expect to enjoy it. 
We contacted our travel agent, who was very understanding. We have dealt  with 6 canceled cruises. Unfortunately, He is not making money on us. He contacted Celebrity and they assured him that we would get a balcony cabin, if available. These last words convinced us to cancel. 
Why should we spend money with even a slight chance that we might be separated and be isolated in a small cabin and eating out of take out containers. No suite, no. shows, no dining, no sightseeing, no pool. Nothing but an isolated cabin. 
We will resume cruising when we read that the cruise lines treat Covid as they would if a person has a cold or the flu. Stay in the cabin you pay for. This illness is usually mild and there’s no reason for the draconian methods cruise ships are doing to vaccinated passengers. 
Just my opinion!

I agree- cruise lines should start to treat Covid as a cold or a flu and act acordingly  - I also would not have a problem to stay in the cabin of my own choosing. I will cruise in June and in October- so thats that- I also will take good care not catch the virus- mask etc. Still there is still a little risk involved.

• Like 3

On 4/27/2022 at 2:02 PM, TeeRick said:

I only have issue with this statement.  People know what the stakes are and the rules when they board.  Ridiculous to some, but still the stated rules and obligations.  So it cannot be "against their will".

I think the issue that has most recently come to light is that there is no corporate policy (confirmed by JetBlue from his communication from corporate). Each ship is free to make its own isolation/quarantine decisions. Therefore some ships are allowing balcony/infinite and some are deck 3 OV and some staying in original cabin. 

I think if there was a clear policy then you could book knowing what risk you are taking but at the moment that is not the case and understandably, I feel, some people aren’t happy to take that gamble. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, delondin said:

I think the issue that has most recently come to light is that there is no corporate policy (confirmed by JetBlue from his communication from corporate). Each ship is free to make its own isolation/quarantine decisions. Therefore some ships are allowing balcony/infinite and some are deck 3 OV and some staying in original cabin. 

I think if there was a clear policy then you could book knowing what risk you are taking but at the moment that is not the case and understandably, I feel, some people aren’t happy to take that gamble. 

I totaly agree- and that fact is the reason that many cruisers hesitate to book in these uncertain times.The cruise lines should - at least- clearly stating what happens in the " worst case scenario" ( tested positive on board) - islolation - balcony, own cabin or OV.

• Like 2

Can’t disagree with many posters on here. Ready to pull the plug on my August Rome cruise. Too many risks in foreign ports and wife says wait until February from Florida. FP in 7 days. Cannot see making the commitment especially with test at end to return to the US. Most unfortunate for us. Perhaps on the future, perhaps never now.

Just canceled with back to 1 day testing. Thinking of Bermuda.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

............Perhaps on the future, perhaps never now.

We have a July 2022 Bermuda cruise scheduled USA-Bermuda-USA. I figure in July the COVID rates will be very low anyway. It's only a 7 day cruise. I figure our chances are very good of not having any problems with quarantining, etc.

I am less sure about our other two trans Atlantic cruises on the books right now......🤔

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

5 hours ago, Virginia100 said:

Can’t disagree with many posters on here. Ready to pull the plug on my August Rome cruise. Too many risks in foreign ports and wife says wait until February from Florida. FP in 7 days. Cannot see making the commitment especially with test at end to return to the US. Most unfortunate for us. Perhaps on the future, perhaps never now.

Sorry to hear that but understand fully. We booked Hawaii land vacation instead.

• Like 1