Wine taken on board changes.

Marlster

42 minutes ago, Skipper's Mom said:

I know they charged 18% on corkage because I called the front desk and inquired.  My bill was $47.20 for 2 bottles.

They should not have charged the 18% on top of corkage.

Know Before You Go states $20 corkage and does not state $20 + 18%.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

They should not have charged the 18% on top of corkage.

Know Before You Go states $20 corkage and does not state $20 + 18%.

Well, they did charge me.  I'm not going to make a big deal out of $7.20 but will remember this in the future.  I had plenty of onboard credit so it didn't affect my bottom line and that's my final answer, LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2022 at 12:11 PM, ottahand7 said:

On shore excursions that have the corkage single bottle per passenger rule just find some nice passenger(s) who would bring on a single bottle for you.   Most people don't purchase wine on tours at least from what I saw in Portugal.   

On our Celebrity TA we stopped in Madeira.  Brought 4 bottles of Douro Valley wine on board.  Others were doing the same.    Celebrity, on that stop, did not impose any  BYOB fee.   Or perhaps the Celebrity monitor did not show up.

We were waved aboard  after the bag went through the scanner.  This surprised everyone.   We enjoyed our day in  Madeira so much we are going back for a week next month.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, iancal said:

On our Celebrity TA we stopped in Madeira.  Brought 4 bottles of Douro Valley wine on board.  Others were doing the same.    Celebrity, on that stop, did not impose any  BYOB fee.   Or perhaps the Celebrity monitor did not show up.

We were waved aboard  after the bag went through the scanner.  This surprised everyone.   We enjoyed our day in  Madeira so much we are going back for a week next month.

I’m guessing but wondering if you were scanned in the port rather than on the ship.  Normally if you are scanned in the port, they don’t do it on the ship and yes,  most times no one jumps at the wine 😉 

enjoy your time in Madeira next month.  Every part of that lovely island is different.  You can easily spend a week and see new things 🙂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I’m guessing but wondering if you were scanned in the port rather than on the ship.  Normally if you are scanned in the port, they don’t do it on the ship and yes,  most times no one jumps at the wine 😉 

enjoy your time in Madeira next month.  Every part of that lovely island is different.  You can easily spend a week and see new things 🙂 

We were scanned on the ship.  Both of us.  Two each. I believe that it was a one off fluke….or maybe an act of kindness!

We are there for six days.  Friends from Scotland just got back after six weeks.  Six weeks plus one went home with a knee replacement.  Had no idea Madeira was a destination of sorts for medical tourism.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, iancal said:

We were scanned on the ship.  Both of us.  Two each. I believe that it was a one off fluke….or maybe an act of kindness!

We are there for six days.  Friends from Scotland just got back after six weeks.  Six weeks plus one went home with a knee replacement.  Had no idea Madeira was a destination of sorts for medical tourism.

Thanks - you did luck out.  Have a wonderful time in Madeira!

11 hours ago, iancal said:

I would love to go to Madeira and see how their wine is made.    The aged stuff is a special day drink.   

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 8:45 PM, iancal said:

On our Celebrity TA we stopped in Madeira.  Brought 4 bottles of Douro Valley wine on board.  Others were doing the same.    Celebrity, on that stop, did not impose any  BYOB fee.  

We were on Celebrity in the Med before Covid; was not charged for ANY bottle of wine brought on at any port of call.