Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

Posted (edited)

There is also an express train at 9:16, arriving to Rome Termini at 10:03.  Most ships insist you be off by about 9:30 so they can turn it around, so I'd aim for the earlier express (Frecce) train rather than hang around town for a couple of hours. 

Even if your hotel in Rome isn't ready for you when you arrive, they will hold your luggage.  If you're staying in a place other than a hotel, there is a left luggage office at Rome Termini, you can store your things there and pick them up later in the day when you're ready to check into your accommodations.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2024 at 4:23 PM, jjt said:

I just booked a roundtrip cruise for our family of five out of Civitavecchia and started reading this board for transportation advice. We arrive into FCO the afternoon before the cruise and plan to spend 3 days in Rome after the cruise before flying home. Based on what I've read it sounds like the best plan after the ship returns is to take the train from the port to the Roma Termini and stay in a hotel close by. I checked and there are tickets from Civitavecchia, but not from the port. However, it sounds like I can just take the bus over to the train station and pay the bus driver (credit card?).

What about before the cruise? Should I go directly to Civitavecchia from the airport? I am leaning that way to make the logistics easier and to also make sure we don't miss the ship. Also, it seems like there are some interesting sites and things to do near the port. If we do this, what is the best way to get there? Thanks!

I'm also planning to go straight to Civitavecchia from FCO as I've been to Rome multiple times. You would think it would be easier to get straight to Civitavecchia but most trains (& busses) go into Rome & back out to Civitavecchia. I've been trying to find the simplest way to get there allowing time to get my luggage & find the correct stop & it looks like I'll miss the direct bus once every 4 hours. Can anyone advise easier for solo traveler to transfer Ostiense or Trastevere station? 

On 3/23/2024 at 7:54 PM, Hlitner said:

I want to mention a real life scenario.  On one visit to Civitavecchia, DW and I made our way to the train station (we probably walked from the pier), bought a BIRG ticket, and were heading to the platform to catch the next regional train which was just arriving at the station.  We passed some folks from our cruise who were sitting on a bench and made a quick stop to see if they needed help.  They told us they had pre-purchased IC tickets (to Rome), had reserved seats, and were waiting for their train which was running nearly an hour late.  In the time those folks waited, they would have missed at least 3 regional trains/Freece.  Their train into Rome was, perhaps, 20 minutes faster, but it also took away some of the other train stations (such as Trastevere).  Those folks wasted more than an hour of their day in Rome waiting for that "faster" train.

We have long preached a simple rule of independent travel, which is to try and keep the maximum flexibility and be willing to change your plans "on the fly."

Hank

Ive always been a believer of plan, plan, plan, then be prepared to change your plans as needed!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Travelntrike said:

Can anyone advise easier for solo traveler to transfer Ostiense or Trastevere station? 

Six of one, half dozen of the other.  Both stations have multiple tracks but both also have elevators at each track.

• Thanks 1

If we are only in Civitavecchia for a port day, and not embarking/disembarking, is the 6 euro bus available from the train station to the ship?  Or is this bus only for embarking/disembarking cruisers?   In that case, do I need to go from the train station to Largo del pace in order to get the free shuttle to the ship?  Or will the same free shuttle stop to pick us up at molo del bacchiere on its way to the ships from largo del pace?   And one last question, what time do the free shuttles run until? My ship leaves at 8pm for example.  So would the last shuttle be 6:30pm? 7pm?  

Here is the information from the Port Mobility Civitavecchia page:

DIRECT TRAIN STATION/BOAT SERVICE

A special direct service connects the Civitavecchia train station with the cruise ship docks and vice versa.

The service, exclusively for cruise ship passengers, runs from 7.00 am/7.30 am to 6.30 pm/07.00 pm only on ship departure/arrival days. The ticket price is 6 euros each way and can be purchased directly on board.

For further information, please refer to the page dedicated to the shuttles.

I could read that either way, because a ship does arrive and depart on a port day.  It does not say embarkation or disembarkation on either the English or Italian language pages.

On the other hand, I could be too literal.

Here is the page this came from:  RCT, the cruise terminal of the port of Civitavecchia | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

I would try emailing them for clarification.  On the contacts page they list this email address:

INFORMATIONS

Parking & shuttles: portoperations@portmobility.it

The free shuttle to Largo della Pace operates every day.

Here’s an update for anyone else who may need the info I was searching for. Port Mobility emailed me the following: 

Good afternoon,

the shuttle service that connects the station from the embarkation/disembarkation point is also available with the ship in only transit.

The stop “Molo del Bicchiere”  is no longer operational.

You can take the free Largo della Pace - Boarding Point shuttle service, which operates until the time of the ship's departure with a shuttle frequency every twenty minutes.

Best regards”

37 minutes ago, Cruise4usnow1 said:

If staying by the Spanish steps, is it better to catch the train at termini or St. Peter to go to civitechia?

I was about to say it depends on the type of train but, on second thought, I would go to Termini in any case because you have a better shot of getting a seat there on a regional train, and you have to go there for a Frecce or IC.

On 4/17/2024 at 8:11 AM, euro cruiser said:

There is also an express train at 9:16, arriving to Rome Termini at 10:03.  Most ships insist you be off by about 9:30 so they can turn it around, so I'd aim for the earlier express (Frecce) train rather than hang around town for a couple of hours. 

Even if your hotel in Rome isn't ready for you when you arrive, they will hold your luggage.  If you're staying in a place other than a hotel, there is a left luggage office at Rome Termini, you can store your things there and pick them up later in the day when you're ready to check into your accommodations.

I'm looking at booking this in June. How will we get from the cruise port to the train station in Civitavecchia with this type of ticket as it doesn't look like it includes the bus transfer?

On 5/8/2024 at 6:44 PM, euro cruiser said:

I was about to say it depends on the type of train but, on second thought, I would go to Termini in any case because you have a better shot of getting a seat there on a regional train, and you have to go there for a Frecce or IC.

Thanks. I'd forgotten the issue of getting seats.

On 5/9/2024 at 6:37 PM, euro cruiser said:

If you purchase the ticket with "Civitavecchia Porto" as the starting point, it will include the 6 euro fee for the bus from the ship to the train station.

Be sure to purchase directly from Trenitalia, not from a third party.

EN - Trenitalia

It's interesting because when I choose Frecce I cannot choose Civitavecchia Porto, only Civitavecchia on Trenitalia's website. If I book this ticket is there going to be a way to get from the port to wherever this train station is?

That's curious, because I'm seeing Frecce trains with the connection.  How far in advance are you looking?  That may be part of the problem.

It doesn't make a difference anyway, as the Port Mobility bus between the train station and the cruise terminal is one of the few buses in Italy that you can pay for the ticket on board the bus, so it's easy enough to just get on and pay if you can't arrange it in advance.

1 minute ago, euro cruiser said:

That's curious, because I'm seeing Frecce trains with the connection.  How far in advance are you looking?  That may be part of the problem.

It doesn't make a difference anyway, as the Port Mobility bus between the train station and the cruise terminal is one of the few buses in Italy that you can pay for the ticket on board the bus, so it's easy enough to just get on and pay if you can't arrange it in advance.

June 10. Ok good to know that we can just buy the ticket there.

19 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

There is a schedule change on June 9th.  Most things will stay the same, but things like bus connections will be the last loaded into the system with the change.

Ahhh. Thank you for this info! That explains it. I appreciate your quick response!

2 minutes ago, unotrainer99 said:

Ahhh. Thank you for this info! That explains it. I appreciate your quick response!

If you need to pay the bus driver 6 euro, make sure you have correct change.  I saw the driver accept money but I didn't see any change given back.  Have a great time!!

• Like 1

The most direct route is to take the regional train from Civitavecchia to Roma Ostiense, then follow the underground passage to the Piramide metro station.  Take the metro (direction Rebibbia or Jonio) for two stops to Colosseo.  As you exit the station you'll be facing the Colosseum across the street.

If this is a port day, buy the 5-zone BIRG ticket from the newsstand in the Civitavecchia train station for 12 euro.  This ticket will cover round trip regional train fare between Civitavecchia and Rome as well as metros, buses and trams in Rome all day.  

There are regional trains departing Civitavecchia at 7:58, 8:42, and 8:57.  There is also the Civitavecchia Express at 9:07 (but this train is not covered by the BIRG ticket).  If you are looking at a date too far in the future these trains may not show up, there will be a schedule adjustment in early June but it's unlikely that these times will change (or if they do, only by a few minutes).

EN - Trenitalia

Map of metro and regional rail lines in Rome:  mappa ferro e tram (feb 2024) (atac.roma.it)

BIRG ticket:  BIRG (atac.roma.it)