Upgrades on board

Xcelsior

Wondering if anyone  has received complimentary upgrades on board sailings with occupancy levels so low.  I know some were reporting on Celebrity sailings that they were getting upgrades at check-in.  Any reports of that happening on Azamara?  My sailing is virtually empty at 60 days out.

We were on an Aza B2B in late March-April. Booked Veranda Guaranteed for the Transatlantic, OV for the Med portion. We were Discovery Level. Upgraded to Veranda for both legs, same room. Transatlantic (SUPERB cruise) was pretty empty, about 200 passengers. Med cruise was supposed to go to Morocco, which was closed down while we were on the Atlantic, even with about 100 cancellations, we had about 250 on board. The "crowds" were noticeable in the MDR at dinner times. My guess is that you will get your upgrade. And even if you don't, with Azamara's level of service, you won't really notice it. Have a great trip.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Xcelsior said:

Wondering if anyone  has received complimentary upgrades on board sailings with occupancy levels so low.  I know some were reporting on Celebrity sailings that they were getting upgrades at check-in.  Any reports of that happening on Azamara?  My sailing is virtually empty at 60 days out.

Complimentary - not heard of these days.  One that you bid for in the upgrade programme, various reports of people having their bids accepted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Complimentary - not heard of these days.  One that you bid for in the upgrade programme, various reports of people having their bids accepted

I agree it's doubtful.   Also note,  if one books at last minute price you may not even qualify to bid for for the upgrade.  

• Like 2

Many years ago (9?), we also got an upgrade on our first ever cruise on Azamara, from Veranda to CC suite.  The strategy worked: we loved Azamara and we loved the suite.  About half of our subsequent bookings have been in a suite.  But that was before the bidding process and because our travel agent doesn’t participate, we never hope for an upgrade.  We book the cabin we want to be in.

Hello, I asked onboard for a paid upgrade on my cruise, they asked more than the bids were.

I was in an interior, they quoted me 1000$ to balcony, so I kept my money.

I don't understand their revenue management. I could upgrade from interior to balcony choosing the cabin for 850$ before the cruise, then they "allowed" me to bid at least 450$pp to get a random balcony and then they wanted 500$ pp onboard, when its less convenient for me to move and they aren't getting anything from the room. I would have spent around 500$ total max, which was direct benefit as I imagine the costs are the same for them, but I spent them on land instead.....

We were 276 people on the ship, so plenty of space available.... 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, elbarney said:

Hello, I asked onboard for a paid upgrade on my cruise, they asked more than the bids were.

I don't understand their revenue management. I could upgrade from interior to balcony choosing the cabin for 850$ before the cruise, then they "allowed" me to bid at least 450$pp to get a random balcony and then they wanted 500$ pp onboard, when its less convenient for me to move and they aren't getting anything from the room. I would have spent around 500$ total max, which was direct benefit as I imagine the costs are the same for them, but I spent them on land instead.....

Interesting to know. Thanks.  I guess they probably also consider fairness to those who bid and paid for an upgrade.  But I agree, seems silly to leave cabins empty that aren't generating any revenue when they could get more at a time when they are clearly losing money.

On 4/28/2022 at 4:07 AM, elbarney said:

I am curious about your experience in inside cabin now in times from COVID. I am asking you because traveling solo often before COVID, I would have spent little time on my room and I have booked sometimes an inside cabin due to the prices. For my next cruise, I was attracted by the prices for the inside cabin and originally I had booked one. Days later I have got second thoughts of being in a cabin with no possibility to get fresh air and I have changed my booking to a balcony cabin paying much more. 
Ivi

45 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I am curious about your experience in inside cabin now in times from COVID. I am asking you because traveling solo often before COVID, I would have spent little time on my room and I have booked sometimes an inside cabin due to the prices. For my next cruise, I was attracted by the prices for the inside cabin and originally I had booked one. Days later I have got second thoughts of being in a cabin with no possibility to get fresh air and I have changed my booking to a balcony cabin paying much more. 
Ivi

It was fine. The room was bigger than I expected, the location nice.

We only stayed at the room for shower, changing and sleeping, so perfectly fine in an interior.

Other ships we have stayed had smaller insides, but this seemed like a balcony-without-the-balcony, which is nice. I don't know if this is for all the insides or there are different sizes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elbarney said:

It was fine. The room was bigger than I expected, the location nice.

We only stayed at the room for shower, changing and sleeping, so perfectly fine in an interior.

Other ships we have stayed had smaller insides, but this seemed like a balcony-without-the-balcony, which is nice. I don't know if this is for all the insides or there are different sizes.

May I ask what cabin you were in?

We were on Azamara in 2012 with our 2 adult children. I booked an oceanview cabin for us and an inside cabin for them. If you walked into the inside cabin at night without having left a light on, it was pitch black. If we ever take them on another cruise, I will book an oceanview for them too.

Diana