Ice cream flavors?

zhuangcorp

"Whatever comes up with the rotation"... I remember they have two different regular flavours each day and I think a sugarfree additional - and different flavours every day. Ask your server - they gladly ask ind the kitchen (or they know), what they serve the actual day.

Same at the Lido buffet - 2 different regular and 1 sugarfree flavour each day....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for those specifics, @Wendy-Europe. My teen was just musing last night, preparatory for our August cruise, about whether he should plan to spend his pocket money on gelato, or if there would be "enough" ice cream available at meals to satisfy his sweet tooth.

He's at that age when he seems to grow an inch overnight, and lately he's requiring not one but two full servings of dinner to be satisfied. How I look forward to sending him to the Lido buffet to feed himself for a few weeks! 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, willoL said:

Thanks for those specifics, @Wendy-Europe. My teen was just musing last night, preparatory for our August cruise, about whether he should plan to spend his pocket money on gelato, or if there would be "enough" ice cream available at meals to satisfy his sweet tooth.

He's at that age when he seems to grow an inch overnight, and lately he's requiring not one but two full servings of dinner to be satisfied. How I look forward to sending him to the Lido buffet to feed himself for a few weeks! 😆

Although I rarely eat I anymore the gelato is very good.  That said, if quantity is more important the lido will fit the bill.  If the portions are still the same the gelato was a good portion.

3 hours ago, willoL said:

I know someone who enjoys what she calls "ice cream salad." It involves taking one of the big bowls from the Lido salad station over to the dessert bar for a much larger sundae than the usual ice cream bowls can fit 😁

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, metachal said:

I know someone who enjoys what she calls "ice cream salad." It involves taking one of the big bowls from the Lido salad station over to the dessert bar for a much larger sundae than the usual ice cream bowls can fit 😁

I must ensure that DW does not see this post...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, metachal said:

I am so sorry I never thought of that myself. But now that you have mentioned it ... .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On the Zuiderdam last week, it was always vanilla and chocolate. Most of the timethere was also strawberry in the Lido. Occasionally they would substitute a different flavor for the strawberry. The ice cream wasn’t that good  - but I still had it with my pie or cake. I tried the heath bar ice cream. It was mostly vanilla with a few teeny tiny bits of heath bar. It was disappointing (yet I ate almost 2 scoops 🤫). I miss the gelato on the larger ships. Even though you had to pay for it, the quality was better.

they seemed to have a bigger variety at night in the MDR. DH was able to get mint chocolate chip a few times.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

On the Zuiderdam last week, it was always vanilla and chocolate. Most of the timethere was also strawberry in the Lido. Occasionally they would substitute a different flavor for the strawberry.

Huh, I wonder if there are some "supply-chain" effects causing this -- our experience was always as previous answers, with change every day. But of course, we haven't been on a ship since May 2019... 

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Supply chain, I’m going to take a shot every time I hear this.  I’ll be drunk by midnight 😛🤪😏.

WSJ has a very good documentary about the current "supply chain" issues going on right now - there are weak links up and down the commerce chain. It is called "Chain Reaction" and I think you can get it off their website - no fees.

Since I am an icecream-addict (I have a compressor icemachine myself and make icecream)  I rate the quality of the offered icecream onboard - and Holland America had a medium class icecream (Pre-Covid....) - the quality is way better than the self service soft serve which is included at NCL or Royal Caribbean at the buffet. Probably comparable to Dreyers in texture, quality and sweetness. In my opinion a little bit too sweet (most american brands are too sweet for me).