Vancouver International Airport urges travelers to arrive early for flights » 2 hours domestic and 3 hours US/International

xlxo

6 minutes ago, texasweather said:

We will be hoping to catch our flight on July 3rd.  We are planning/hoping to do the eMed digitally proctored tests (they have been GREAT for my last couple trips to Europe), but that would also be dependent on having enough cell service that morning while we are docked to be able to take the tests... so we'll see.  I'll probably have a backup plan just in case.

We dock on July 3rd also. What cruise line are you on? Maybe we can put our heads together to make things easier for both of us!

A flight at 12:30 out of Vancouver after a cruise was already pushing the limit on making the flight; now ......

Suggest you might want to look at a later flight or overnighting in Vancouver and catching an early morning flight.

16 minutes ago, cruiseryyc said:

A flight at 12:30 out of Vancouver after a cruise was already pushing the limit on making the flight; now ......

Suggest you might want to look at a later flight or overnighting in Vancouver and catching an early morning flight.

Argggg not what I want to hear..  

43 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

We dock on July 3rd also. What cruise line are you on? Maybe we can put our heads together to make things easier for both of us!

I'm on Royal Caribbean - Serenade.  How about you?

Based on cruiseryyc's response, it sounds like I may need to look at re-booking my flight, sigh..

2 minutes ago, texasweather said:

I'm on Royal Caribbean - Serenade.  How about you?

Based on cruiseryyc's response, it sounds like I may need to look at re-booking my flight, sigh..

We are on HAL. I called them and was told that if you get the premium internet, it will support video calls. I would rather pay to do it on-board than risk the chaos at the airport. We bought our flights through HAL, and I figured they must know how much time you need to get off of the ship and make your flight. I am going to call the flight department and talk to them about it. It would cost us double right now to rebook a flight. I also figured that there would be people who have to do this long before we cruise, and hopefully they can tell us how it all goes. I would call Royal Caribbean and talk to them about it. They are the ones who need to get the kinks out…or not 🤷🏼‍♀️

6 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

We are on HAL. I called them and was told that if you get the premium internet, it will support video calls. I would rather pay to do it on-board than risk the chaos at the airport. We bought our flights through HAL, and I figured they must know how much time you need to get off of the ship and make your flight. I am going to call the flight department and talk to them about it. It would cost us double right now to rebook a flight. I also figured that there would be people who have to do this long before we cruise, and hopefully they can tell us how it all goes. I would call Royal Caribbean and talk to them about it. They are the ones who need to get the kinks out…or not 🤷🏼‍♀️

Interesting... yeah I didn't book my flights through RCL.  Let me know what HAL says about the timeline.

I also have United first class, but previous posts here seem to be saying that their idea of "priority security lanes" is not going to help me get through this airport any quicker than if I didn't have first class.  Am I reading that correctly?  (I have zero experience with anything other than economy, and only got these flight upgrades in an attempt to avoid catching covid.)  My flight leaves around 12:30 pm, so I should get to the airport at 9:30 am?  Earlier?  I have TSA precheck but not global entry and am flying back to the US.  I know I need the covid test and am planning to do that the day before at my hotel (I'm disembarking, staying one day in Vancouver, then flying the next day).  I'm flying on a Monday if that matters.

21 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I also have United first class, but previous posts here seem to be saying that their idea of "priority security lanes" is not going to help me get through this airport any quicker than if I didn't have first class.  Am I reading that correctly?  (I have zero experience with anything other than economy, and only got these flight upgrades in an attempt to avoid catching covid.)  My flight leaves around 12:30 pm, so I should get to the airport at 9:30 am?  Earlier?  I have TSA precheck but not global entry and am flying back to the US.  I know I need the covid test and am planning to do that the day before at my hotel (I'm disembarking, staying one day in Vancouver, then flying the next day).  I'm flying on a Monday if that matters.

Flying First Class is nice, but it really does not help you get though security.  I have TSA precheck for that, but I doubt that will work in Canada (piease correct me if I am wrong).

50 minutes ago, cruiseryyc said:

"We bought our flights through HAL, and I figured they must know how much time you need to get off of the ship and make your flight. "

Unfortunately no one counted on Security being short staffed.  

I would not rely on that.  Too many experiences of myself and others say that HAL often cuts things very close timewise.  

One time in Vancouver they were SO late in getting us to the airport that we had to run through the terminal to make our flight - it was so close that they shut the aircraft's door right after we got onboard!  And there was absolutely no reason for it, except that HAL's bus was in no big hurry (we waited an hour on the bus before it left).  

Now I only take HAL transfers when I have PLENTY of time.

Edited by DaveOKC

9 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

Will do. It will be later today or tomorrow.

I waited on hold for 4.5 hours with the air flight department with HAL. They said that it is their responsibility to get us to the airport in time to get through security and make our flight. If we miss it, then they will take care of all expenses and arrangements for us to get home. Decided to do our COVID test on the ship so we don’t have to worry at the airport. 

Well now I'm just plain scared.  I had no idea there were any issues with the Vancouver airport when I booked my flights, with points and nonrefundable.  So how early should I get to the airport to be safe?  4 hrs?  It's a Monday, June 20.  I'm staying in Vancouver for a day so I won't be with the big cruise departure crowd, but of course there could be another cruise arrival / departure I don't know about.

13 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Well now I'm just plain scared.  I had no idea there were any issues with the Vancouver airport when I booked my flights, with points and nonrefundable.  So how early should I get to the airport to be safe?  4 hrs?  It's a Monday, June 20.  I'm staying in Vancouver for a day so I won't be with the big cruise departure crowd, but of course there could be another cruise arrival / departure I don't know about.

Vancouver cruise port information can be found here:  https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2022-Cruise-Schedule-as-of-April-29.pdf - there is only one ship on Monday June 20.

24 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Have you considered staying at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport hotel?  It is located actually in the Vancouver airport very near the check-in counters?

Airport accommodations in/on the airport property are apt to be expensive - - -

Those however on the perimeter (as in close by near miss) may be a better bargain.

Granted the ones on the property you can walk to don't need a shuttle of taxi/uber -

but just check the rates to see what works best for your budget plans.

Also advantage at Vancouver airport the metro rail to downtown.

13 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Airport accommodations in/on the airport property are apt to be expensive - - -

Those however on the perimeter (as in close by near miss) may be a better bargain.

Granted the ones on the property you can walk to don't need a shuttle of taxi/uber -

…..

Have you ever actually stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport property?  Depending on the date they can be extremely comparable to the downtown Vancouver hotels.

I was originally supposed to start in Vancouver and end in Whittier, so I booked the Pan Pacific to be close to the cruise port.  I rebooked there even though I'm not needing that proximity.  Should I change to something else?  I like that the Pan P is close to a stop for the hop on, hop off bus etc.  It seems to be in walking distance to some things I'd like to see.  I've never been to Vancouver before and want to see a variety of things.

@Kitty Ellas Mom:  I’ve stayed at the Pan Pacific several times including last month before we boarded a ship from Vancouver to Honolulu.  I love the hotel and its location.  But you are also posting comments such as “Well now I’m just plain scared” regarding the potential for delays at the Vancouver airport.  You will need to balance your concern about the Vancouver airport with what you want to see in Vancouver before departing.  

PS: Last month a mid afternoon the cab from the airport to the Pan Pacific took about 30 minutes.

46 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Have you ever actually stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport property?  Depending on the date they can be extremely comparable to the downtown Vancouver hotels.

NO have not - presumption made on over 50 years of travel experience 30 years active airline

employee with a major carrier.

Have stayed at the Fairmont Seattle property downtown and if it were not for an organized

tour the rack rates would be thru the roof.

Airport hotels are occupying prime real estate and one would expect an upcharge for that.

6 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

@Kitty Ellas Mom:  I’ve stayed at the Pan Pacific several times including last month before we boarded a ship from Vancouver to Honolulu.  I love the hotel and its location.  But you are also posting comments such as “Well now I’m just plain scared” regarding the potential for delays at the Vancouver airport.  You will need to balance your concern about the Vancouver airport with what you want to see in Vancouver before departing.  

PS: Last month a mid afternoon the cab from the airport to the Pan Pacific took about 30 minutes.

30-40 minutes either way airport to Canada Place (Pan P hotel) is the norm - weekday rush

traffic hedging on 40 - there are no speed expressways to from airport to Canada Place.

The traffic lights do favor the routine rush traffic - but an accident is another thing.

Haven't taken the Skytrain from downtown to the airport for a comparison - that is

dedicated rail with no traffic concerns - just routine stopping at the stations enroute.

Travel time 25 minutes 12 stops

If the Skytrain where to operate from Canada Place should be no contest - as is there

is about 3-4 block walk to catch the Skytrain - see Google Map for reference - - -

Waterfront station - blue icons bottom of image 

Skytrain links:

Vancouver Airport Skytrain Map - YVR Skytrain to Downtown Vancouver Route Map (vancouver-travel-tips.com)

Vancouver Airport Skytrain – Schedules, Tickets, Station Locations, & more (vancouver-travel-tips.com)

Google Maps

On 5/10/2022 at 11:03 AM, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

... My flight leaves around 12:30 pm, so I should get to the airport at 9:30 am?  Earlier?  I have TSA precheck but not global entry and am flying back to the US.  I know I need the covid test and am planning to do that the day before at my hotel (I'm disembarking, staying one day in Vancouver, then flying the next day).  I'm flying on a Monday if that matters.

First - relax! Unlike the folks who have been seriously screwed over by their cruiselines abandoning free testing onboard before disembarkation, that extra day of padding is a huge benefit for you. Even if things are truly horrible at YVR, you won't have to bust a gut to get to your flight - arrange your cab in advance, pay attention to signs and announcements when you get to YVR, and try to enjoy your day of sightseeing without stressing about airport morning.

Assuming things don't improve on the Security queue front, I would err on the side of caution and stick to being at least 3 hours early - in fact, despite there only being one ship in port you will likely feel more comfortable aiming to get to YVR ~9am, which puts you there ahead of even the earliest cruise shuttles. Some self-disembarkers might beat you there, but with only one ship worth arriving in dribs & drabs rather than busloads at a time, you'll probably end up sailing through everything and having to kill lots of time on the other side. Still, given you're traveling solo and a first-timer in Vancouver better safe than sorry.

Ask the bell staff at the PP the night before to call you a cab for 8:30am, and then call down before you leave your room in the morning just to double-check it's in-hand - they'll have a very good idea how long it's taking cabs to get to them, and while cruise taxi fares are nice for drivers maintaining a good relationship with fancy hotel staff brings you reliable income all year round, so leverage that relationship to your benefit!

Since you have the day before to organize your Covid test, whereas a lot of folks will be doing it at the airport, you're definitely in a better position than many at YVR, even if your First Class ticket does not expedite you through the queues. TSA Precheck definitely won't help - Global Entry would have, your First Class ticket I'm honestly not sure about. There is a 'short queue but regular security check at the end of it' option for folks with a VISA Infinite card, so that might also be available to 1st class ticket holders too - with the current staffing issues though, there have been all sorts of odd shenanigans happening like routing people through security at the 'wrong' gate wing because they can't man all the checks, so I would plan for the worst (stuck in the same big queue as everyone else) and then any surprises will be pleasant ones!

To explain a bit further on that TSA GE issue - - -

The TSA Pre-Check program costs $85 for 5 years ***

*** aside from any class of ticket issued bare bones economy back of the bus to the most

elite private cabin first business class 

The Global Entry program costs $100 for 5 years ###

### complimentary TSA Pre-Check and a more rapid customs border crossing clearance.

NOW regarding traveling in the First Business cabin - some major airlines offer the TSA Pre-Check

as a perk to their elite frequent customers

Whether at a specific airport whether you will be able to use it to take advantage of it remains

to be seen.

Small airports are usually not set up for it - no advantage here

Large metropolitan ones definitely use it as means to move the crowds faster and smoother.

When you print out your boarding pass look for the bold TSA PRE-CHECK somewhere on it.

Look for the designated PRE-Check signage or ask questions for where it is - use it - the

perks with this - leave the shoes on  - belts too and your carry-on baggage leave the lap-top

tablet in place unless directed otherwise.

Of course it has been reported that at some airports the TSA Pre-Check lines are longer than

the general public lines - use your own judgement which is moving faster - remember the

shoes belts carry-on perks do not apply in the general public lines.