MSC Insurance requirement

1kaper

I am Canadian, sailing Sunday to the Bahamas. 
The email says that I need "A proof of COVID-19 insurance clearly showing the COVID-19 risks coverage".  I have travel health insurance through work and it is a no-exception policy. I checked and COVID is covered. It does not have trip cancellation/interruption.  
The card I booked the cruise with does have trip cancellation/interruption but it would not cover if I tested positive before the trip. 

What have others shown?

This is what is required:

Guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises must provide proof of their valid travel insurance policy that has a minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation, both with no COVID-19 exclusions.  The insurance policy must name the guest as the policyholder or beneficiary.  Guests must bring a printed version of the insurance policy, showing the name of each of the covered guest(s) and a description of the coverage in the policy. This documentation will be reviewed by our staff at the terminal prior to boarding. Without it, guests will be denied boarding.

No trip cancellation/interruption required but you have to make sure it spells out all the above in what you bring.

Bret

18 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

This is what is required:

Guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises must provide proof of their valid travel insurance policy that has a minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation, both with no COVID-19 exclusions.  The insurance policy must name the guest as the policyholder or beneficiary.  Guests must bring a printed version of the insurance policy, showing the name of each of the covered guest(s) and a description of the coverage in the policy. This documentation will be reviewed by our staff at the terminal prior to boarding. Without it, guests will be denied boarding.

No trip cancellation/interruption required but you have to make sure it spells out all the above in what you bring.

Bret

well that is frustrating. I didn’t find that and what I read specifically said trip cancellation and interruption. 
I am fairly certain I could get that from my work travel policy. I was struggling with getting the right documentation for the trip cancellation and interruption. 

Where did you find that? 

I included what was in the email in my original post. 
when I looked for more information I found this. 

• COVID-19 insurance for Canadian residents starting from 15 December 2021, is MANDATORY. The insurance policy should cover against COVID-19 related risks, such as trip cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization and it is important that the policy also includes coverage in the case of being a close contact. 

This is what our insurance says. Our concern is that it doesn't explicitly say "Covid". We called the insurance company today and they said it would include Covid if we tested positive during our trip and it is verified by a doctor (under the trip interruption clause).  We have our fingers crossed that this will work with MSC.

Insurance Coverages Provided Maximum Limit Per Person Maximum Limit Per Plan
Trip Cancellation $4,500.00 $4,500.00
Trip Cancellation - Exchange Fees $250.00 $250.00
Trip Interruption $4,500.00 $4,500.00
Medical and Dental Coverage $50,000.00 $100,000.00
Emergency Assistance and Transportation $50,000.00 $100,000.00

9 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

This is what our insurance says. Our concern is that it doesn't explicitly say "Covid". We called the insurance company today and they said it would include Covid if we tested positive during our trip and it is verified by a doctor (under the trip interruption clause).  We have our fingers crossed that this will work with MSC.

Insurance Coverages Provided Maximum Limit Per Person Maximum Limit Per Plan
Trip Cancellation $4,500.00 $4,500.00
Trip Cancellation - Exchange Fees $250.00 $250.00
Trip Interruption $4,500.00 $4,500.00
Medical and Dental Coverage $50,000.00 $100,000.00
Emergency Assistance and Transportation $50,000.00 $100,000.00

thats exactly where I am. When do you sail? 

I have replied to another thread on the subject

I was denied boarding in dubai on March 26 because the insurance policy i purchased through TUGO ( partner company of MSC cruises Canada ) did not specifically mention covid insurance

I was assured I had this coverage but was denied boarding

Just be careful.

• Thanks 2

The web site for our insurance says this, I'm hoping if it comes down to it, that suffices:

Travel Updates: Our plans provide coverage if you, a family member, or a traveling companion become ill with COVID-19 and plan requirements are met. See Coverages

On 5/4/2022 at 2:33 AM, oilsand said:

I have replied to another thread on the subject

I was denied boarding in dubai on March 26 because the insurance policy i purchased through TUGO ( partner company of MSC cruises Canada ) did not specifically mention covid insurance

I was assured I had this coverage but was denied boarding

Just be careful.

Oh my gosh, what did you do?  Was there insurance onsite you could buy?  Did you grab another policy online via your phone? 

After MSC in dubai refused me boarding , i was able to secure a policy from the dubai port in person which enabled me to present to MSC and they let me board . From what i could determine it was not a policy offered to me by MSC.

It was a tense few hours

Keep in mind this was 3/4 around the world and in a foreign port to me

I think the hard part is that our credit card insurance policy may have the primary credit card holder's name on it but not our family members, so would that then not follow their policy?  And whether or not our credit card company will provide us documents with our names on it.

Edited by xcell

3 hours ago, xcell said:

I think the hard part is that our credit card insurance policy may have the primary credit card holder's name on it but not our family members, so would that then not follow their policy?  And whether or not our credit card company will provide us documents with our names on it.

You would have to read the policy to know. 
i booked my flights with one card and cruise with another. On one my family travelling with me would be covered. It also covered if a family member not travelling got ill. 

the question about the documents with your names on it - that was my issue. They told me all they could do was send me a copy of policy. Which neither included my name or specified Covid 19. Even though covid 19 is considered an illness as outlined in the policy. 

i ended up buying a “covid 19 pandemic travel policy” for $30 which did not cover everything they wanted but I figured they wouldn’t look too much past the name. It did cover quarantine and medical.  
i knew I was covered so I was ok.  Then they didn’t ask. 

(I was going to wait til embarkation and purchase the plan last minute as someone above did if required but I went ahead and bought it ahead of time) 

Edited by 1kaper

3 hours ago, 1kaper said:

You would have to read the policy to know. 
i booked my flights with one card and cruise with another. On one my family travelling with me would be covered. It also covered if a family member not travelling got ill. 

the question about the documents with your names on it - that was my issue. They told me all they could do was send me a copy of policy. Which neither included my name or specified Covid 19. Even though covid 19 is considered an illness as outlined in the policy. 

i ended up buying a “covid 19 pandemic travel policy” for $30 which did not cover everything they wanted but I figured they wouldn’t look too much past the name. It did cover quarantine and medical.  
i knew I was covered so I was ok.  Then they didn’t ask. 
(I was going to wait til embarkation and purchase the plan last minute as someone above did if required but I went ahead and bought it ahead of time) 

Mandatory cruise insurance has to be bought from MSC (thro your TA) for cruises in Europe & Middle east. For US cruises, insurance is not mandatory

7 hours ago, drsel said:

Mandatory cruise insurance has to be bought from MSC (thro your TA) for cruises in Europe & Middle east. For US cruises, insurance is not mandatory

Doesn't say (at least for Canadians) that we need to buy it from MSC for Med (or Caribbean)

10 hours ago, drsel said:

Incorrect - you just need to show that you have insurance coverage for covid, it is not necessary to purchase from MSC or your TA.

I have a letter from my travel insurance stating I am covered for covid up to $30k and it has worked fine for MSC in both the Med and UAE.  

13 hours ago, drsel said:

To my knowledge, you don't have to buy insurance through MSC as long as it meets their stated requirements.

17 hours ago, drsel said:

MSC does require Canadians have insurance when sailing from the US. It also says it does not have to be purchased from their partner company.