Birth certificate question

Kimd1971

I wanted to point this out, traveling with my elderly mother who doesn't have a passport and she traveled with her drivers license and certified copy of her birth certificate.  I was concerned about her B/C not matching exactly to her married name, was informed that since her last name on her B/C is now her middle name on her D/L (maiden name) she didn't have to show a marriage license. 

23 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Remember birth certificates are state issued and vary from state to state. In my state a short form is valid but this my not be the case for all states. IF I were using a birth certificate, I would order a brand new one from my state agency. I cruise cost too much to run the risk f being turned away. 

I suppose it can't hurt to have a new one, but the only requirement is that the birth certificate be issued by a government entity (not necessarily the state, we used a birth certificate issued by our town clerk on plain paper for one of our sons). As I mentioned, when applying for a passport the requirement is different.

19 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Just try and save up for Passports for all family members. The Passport and the Passport photo prices are out of control and really need to be reviewed.    

Since the passport office has to recoup the cost of producing the passports from the fees that they charge (that includes salaries and all other overhead) one can only expect the cost to continue to rise. 

I would not leave the country without a passport.  It is more a peace of mind if anything happens when abroad and you need to get back in a hurry.  I basically consider it as a cost of cruising and actually part of my cruise insurance (a 10 year plan).  

Besides the fact that you need a passport to travel by air, I also want to ensure that I can quickly and easily document that I am a US citizen in the even I unexpectedly get stopped by local law enforcement for any reason (in the wrong place at the wrong time).  If I need assistance from the US Embassy, I do not want to have any delays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imacruiser99 said:

I would not leave the country without a passport.  It is more a peace of mind if anything happens when abroad and you need to get back in a hurry.  I basically consider it as a cost of cruising and actually part of my cruise insurance (a 10 year plan).  

Besides the fact that you need a passport to travel by air, I also want to ensure that I can quickly and easily document that I am a US citizen in the even I unexpectedly get stopped by local law enforcement for any reason (in the wrong place at the wrong time).  If I need assistance from the US Embassy, I do not want to have any delays.

You need  a passport for domestic flights?

6 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

You need  a passport for domestic flights?

Probably they are referring to needing one to return by air if you have to leave the cruise for some reason. Of course the regulations give the authorities the ability to waive the passport requirement for emergencies and for humanitarian reasons.

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

Probably they are referring to needing one to return by air if you have to leave the cruise for some reason. Of course the regulations give the authorities the ability to waive the passport requirement for emergencies and for humanitarian reasons.

I'm sure you're right. I should refrain rom posting when I first wake up!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I suppose it can't hurt to have a new one, but the only requirement is that the birth certificate be issued by a government entity (not necessarily the state, we used a birth certificate issued by our town clerk on plain paper for one of our sons). As I mentioned, when applying for a passport the requirement is different.

In my state birth certificates are not issued by local governments. I understand there are different practices in other states.