Daughter Tests Positive 13 Days Out - Comments/Advice Welcome

Broons77

5 minutes ago, mypleasure said:

I was around 8-9 days to become negative on an Antigen test. I was +ve from Tuesday until the Thursday of the week after. Had a scratchy throat and slightly runny nose. That was it.

Was that from the onset of symptoms or from the end?  If from the onset, then she seems to be right on your schedule as she tested positive and had symptoms from last Friday.  After she antigen tested this morning, the results were encouraging.  It was positive but much fainter than it had been prior.  And she tested right after waking up which is when the viral load should be at its worst.  

Hope springs eternal!!!!   🤞

I tested negative on Sunday March 27th, positive on Monday March 28th, and negative again on Monday April 4th, so a total of 8 days for me. I was prescribed anti-viral medication (Paxlovid), so not sure if that helped speed things up. 

• Thanks 1

The faint line is a really good sign! Your daughter is definitely almost over it. I had a couple of days of the faint line and then I got the negative test.

I didn't have any medication as I barely had any symptoms. I have had much worse colds than this was but I am 3x vaccinated. It affects people in different ways.

I wish you all a great cruise. I am off to Venice tomorrow and then board N.Gem on Friday at Trieste.

Stay Well and Stay Safe

Jean

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2022 at 1:06 PM, CrazyTrain2 said:

Take the Oral anti-virals (Paxlovid).  Tell your healthcare provider to script them up for you and take them immediately upon any symptoms.

You will go Covid negative much sooner.

We just missed our Pride of America April 23rd sailing due to my husband's positive test three days before we were to fly to Hawaii.  We would have thought it was an allergy but knowing the cruise was coming up, opted to drive through the one hour test at our local mall.  He was positive!  We both then drove through Walgreens and tested...he was still positive but I was negative.  I caught it 8 days later.  He took Paxlovid and I didn't.  My case was way less than his!  The Paxlovid he had was made in China and Italy.  In retrospect, I would not suggest taking it.  Just our two cents!

Oh and we are only double vaxed.  I asked the Riverside County Health Dept. if they are seeing triple vaxed people getting this strain and she said "Yes."

We are hoping not to have to get boosted for Europe in late September.  I got super sick with Moderna, second dose.

I am hoping the original poster is happily on their cruise!  Rebooking is NOT as easy as they were hoping...We finally are booked on July 30th minus $1,400 trip insurance, rise in airfare, $1400 for next cruise insurance, loss of onboard credit....I am now grateful we both caught it! 😉

1 minute ago, 4 cruisers said:

We just missed our Pride of America April 23rd sailing due to my husband's positive test three days before we were to fly to Hawaii.  We would have thought it was an allergy but knowing the cruise was coming up, opted to drive through the one hour test at our local mall.  He was positive!  We both then drove through Walgreens and tested...he was still positive but I was negative.  I caught it 8 days later.  He took Paxlovid and I didn't.  My case was way less than his!  The Paxlovid he had was made in China and Italy.  In retrospect, I would not suggest taking it.  Just our two cents!

Oh and we are only double vaxed.  I asked the Riverside County Health Dept. if they are seeing triple vaxed people getting this strain and she said "Yes."

We are hoping not to have to get boosted for Europe in late September.  I got super sick with Moderna, second dose.

I am hoping the original poster is happily on their cruise!  Rebooking is NOT as easy as they were hoping...We finally are booked on July 30th minus $1,400 trip insurance, rise in airfare, $1400 for next cruise insurance, loss of onboard credit....I am now grateful we both caught it! 😉

Oh, and I tested negative on day 6!  No Paxlovid!

• Like 1

We're not on board until Friday @4 cruisers, but i think we're going to make it.  Daughter was another faint line today.  She tested again a few hours later and it came up negative.  Have to see how it looks, but she has until Wednesday or Thursday at the very latest.  I think we're gonna make it!!!!!!!

• Like 12

54 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

We're not on board until Friday @4 cruisers, but i think we're going to make it.  Daughter was another faint line today.  She tested again a few hours later and it came up negative.  Have to see how it looks, but she has until Wednesday or Thursday at the very latest.  I think we're gonna make it!!!!!!!

I had 2 days of a faint line and then after 11 days since first test I tested negative so I think it is a good sign.  

• Like 2

To close the loop on this thread...

WE'RE GOING TO BERMUDA BABY!!!!!

Daughter tested negative yesterday, had her do another test this morning which also came up negative, she did the eMed proctored test and negative again.  Test has been uploaded and just waiting for the travel authorization.

Interesting note.  While the TA application asks if you've had contact with a confirmed case in the prior 10 days, you don't have a way of going back to modify that answer.  So if you did like us and submit your application 30 days ahead of time, then get covid, you don't have a way of going back to disclose that on your application.  So you don't have to worry about getting any extra unwanted attention!

On board in 48 hours!!!!!

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Broons77 said:

To close the loop on this thread...

WE'RE GOING TO BERMUDA BABY!!!!!

Daughter tested negative yesterday, had her do another test this morning which also came up negative, she did the eMed proctored test and negative again.  Test has been uploaded and just waiting for the travel authorization.

Interesting note.  While the TA application asks if you've had contact with a confirmed case in the prior 10 days, you don't have a way of going back to modify that answer.  So if you did like us and submit your application 30 days ahead of time, then get covid, you don't have a way of going back to disclose that on your application.  So you don't have to worry about getting any extra unwanted attention!

On board in 48 hours!!!!!

Sweet, Now hold your breath for the next couple of days.  One positive note is that her antibody levels will be extremely high for the whole trip.

Enjoy!! - We are hoping to be there in late October - Covid permitting.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

Sweet, Now hold your breath for the next couple of days.  One positive note is that her antibody levels will be extremely high for the whole trip.

Enjoy!! - We are hoping to be there in late October - Covid permitting.

If only her mother and I could get in on some of them antibodies.  Sadly, I'm packing some N95s in the bags.

On 5/16/2022 at 10:38 AM, 4 cruisers said:

Double triple etc boosted almost doesn't matter as much as when you got your last shot.  The longer you go from getting a shot the effectiveness wears off.  Someone who is double vaxed 1 month ago should do better then someone who was triple vaxed 4-5 months ago.  Granted covid affects people different but in the grand scheme of things it more of a time from your last shot thing then the number of shots you have had.  

Edited by jimsig
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, jimsig said:

Double triple etc boosted almost doesn't matter as much as when you got your last shot.  The longer you go from getting a shot the effectiveness wears off.  Someone who is double vaxed 1 month ago should do better then someone who was triple vaxed 4-5 months ago.  Granted covid affects people different but in the grand scheme of things it more of a time from your last shot thing then the number of shots you have had.  

We were vaxed a year ago.  This virus was nothing.  I wouldn't have tested had we not been cruising the following weekend.  That is your theory.  I happen to disagree.  Getting this virus has not been killing people.  I would rather have the natural immunity at this point.  Just my opinion.

Edited by 4 cruisers
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, 4 cruisers said:

.  This virus was nothing.   Getting this virus has not been killing people.  

Tell that to several people, I know that died from Covid.  Oh yea you can't because they are dead.  People that believe this virus has not caused deaths are just ignorant.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paphillyguy said:

Tell that to several people, I know that died from Covid.  Oh yea you can't because they are dead.  People that believe this virus has not caused deaths are just ignorant.  

I am obviously referring to the latest variant.

7 hours ago, 4 cruisers said:

We were vaxed a year ago.  This virus was nothing.  I wouldn't have tested had we not been cruising the following weekend.  That is your theory.  I happen to disagree.  Getting this virus has not been killing people.  I would rather have the natural immunity at this point.  Just my opinion.

It isn't a theory, it's scientific fact that the longer the time after a vax it efficacy wears off, hence the need for boosters. Also natural immunity also wears down.  That and the change in variant is why people can get it twice. I also never said anything about deaths, I was talking about the length of time matters more than how many shots you have had and finally I also said it affects people differently.  

9 hours ago, 4 cruisers said:

I got sick from my 2nd Moderna shot but the booster is only a half dose and I was fine.  I got it prior to my November Greek cruise because some countries in Europe don't consider you vaccinated if it has been over 270 days since your last shot.  I will be getting my 2nd booster in August, prior to my September Prima cruise. A lot can happen in the next 120 days and the 270 day rule may not apply by then but better safe than sorry.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 10:35 AM, hallux said:

Boston to Bermuda?  The Bermuda travel authorisation (yes, I used their spelling) requires a negative PCR test, right?  That's going to be unlikely at less than 2 weeks from positive test.  Is it possible?  Yes, but quite unlikely.  Some patients can test positive on PCR tests for 2-3 months.

We all tested positive after getting off the Gem at the end of April (packed cruise for school vacation). The following week, I went for a PCR so I’d have that on file because we are cruising internationally this summer. Imagine my surprise when I tested negative on the PCR! I had already had a few negative home tests but assumed I’d be positive on the PCR for at least a week or two after I was sick (we did get fairly sick, unfortunately). It’s just hard to know what might happen. 

On 5/9/2022 at 1:06 PM, CrazyTrain2 said:

Take the Oral anti-virals (Paxlovid).  Tell your healthcare provider to script them up for you and take them immediately upon any symptoms.

You will go Covid negative much sooner.

I'm not a doctor, but Paxlovid could bring a rebound, perhaps just in time for OP's voyage  😞

Paxlovid Rebound: FDA Investigating Reports Of Covid-19 ...
15 hours ago — A post-Paxlovid rebound may come after you feel better from taking Paxlovid for a severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) ...

On 5/18/2022 at 3:09 PM, jimsig said:

There are two outcome standards here:

1.   I will not get serious illness (hospitalization) or die

2.   I will not get the disease at all (raising the middle finger to the virus)

Your body retains Standard 1 antibodies for long time (12+ months).  And the Standard 1 antibodies seem to be pretty effective against all the current variants.  If you encounter Omicron and you have antibodies either from exposure or vaccine - it is unlikely you will die or need hospitalization UNLESS you have a comorbidity.  Getting Covid is no fun and as we age our chances of being pretty sick go up.  I'll work on an aging vaccine next.

Your body sheds Standard 2 Covid antibodies within 6 months - for the virus the vaccine/exposure was designed.  The current vaccines are Alpha based and kinda effective against Omicron but not the 95% banging effectiveness they had against Alpha.  If you received a vaccine today it will achieve maximum protection within 2 weeks and then slowly fade over the next 6 months.  After about 4 months, you should act like you are at normal risk of getting Covid.  But your Standard 1 antibodies will still protect  you from exiting the Lido deck in a box.

Covid in the US right now is nearly 100% Omicron - BA2 or BA2.121 (your local area may vary).  Any exposure after 4/15 was probably Omicron and exposure after 5/1 was Omicron.  The vaccines and most people's exposure before 3/15/22 were based on Alpha (Vaccines) and Delta (Exposure) variants.  Keep in mind Omicron is generally presenting with significantly less severe symptoms than Alpha or Delta, but you can still feel really bad.

We are not expecting any Omicron variant vaccines to be available until "Fall" from Moderna or Pfizer.  So effectively, we need to just deal with it until the general population's immunity to Omicron rises.  For the next few months, if you board a cruise ship, you should expect to get Omicron symptoms either onboard or shortly after returning home.  Not everyone will get it, but you should plan like it is a real possibility.  That sounds harsh, but Omicron is a beast for transmissibility.  Cruising is high risk for Omicron.  I do not believe there is any protocol that can fully protect the general population from Omicron.  Cruising comes down to a personal decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mpk said:

I'm not a doctor, but Paxlovid could bring a rebound, perhaps just in time for OP's voyage  😞

Paxlovid Rebound: FDA Investigating Reports Of Covid-19 ...
15 hours ago — A post-Paxlovid rebound may come after you feel better from taking Paxlovid for a severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) ...

Yes, rebounds can happen with anti-virals but generally it's the better way to go for most people especially if you are trying to hit a timeline.

My mom has been terrified to get covid for the two years, she's 75 yrs old with copd.

She started not feeling well the end of last week she tested daily sometimes twice. She had covid from Saturday - Tuesday four full days. Now she is wondering why she stressed for two years over it.

Now my younger sister had it 5 weeks ago and is still testing positive.