Semi-Live Norwegian Joy to Bermuda - Norfolk, VA - May 8, 2022

mking8288

5 hours ago, dcipjr said:

Are you all back to normal, @mking8288?

I tested negative last Friday, and DD tested negative yesterday. DW never got it ... she just got lucky...no way to know.  Aside from a stray cough that has gotten progressively less frequent, I am completely back to normal. 

We're probably going to cruise in August for our anniversary week. We should have some protection from our immunity, provided another variant doesn't take off ...

4 hours ago, sassycruiser said:

... still coughing as is my husband.   I get tired really easily.   Hopefully this ends soon.  

Hello to both (and, all others) We are nearly normal, stray cough every now & then, far less frequent than last week (gosh, can't believe it's been 15 days since ...)  No longer feeling tired by mid/late afternoon as I usually go all day & transition to being a night owl, maybe an occasional power (cat) nap - same for DW.  The coughing began to fade and feeling great over the past few days - of course, the nurse nephew forwarded an article about long Covid for me to read ... LOL.  

Roche test last Wed still had a faint line for both, DW had a routine visit with her PCP on Friday & she said, stop testing as we are no longer considered contagious to others after 5 to 7, 10 days max ...  Anyway, both our test results this morning are negative, not even a faint line ... what a way to use up some of the stockpiled, soon to expire home testing kits 😁  (gotta to keep our sense of humor in all these)

Our boosted immunity "should" now give us a little extra shield for the next 2 to 3 months, according to "expert" medical-scientific researches - plan is time ourselves to get the "next" booster by late summer/fall.  Meanwhile, we are planning an early summer road trip up to Ontario, Canada & stopping at Niagara Falls on the way back ... Will be dealing with the ArriveCAN mobile app next month, far easier & simple compare to Bermuda's TA. 

Going to deal with our Fall cruise after we get back - BTW, we've decided to NOT book the Joy "SP" Family Inside Suites again, going to miss all that extra room or space but - to us - not worth paying extras for.  We'll still get priority embark/disembark, dining reservation with our Latitudes tier status.  It seemed that NCL has basically stripped almost all the remaining "perks" for the suites.  We are better off in a balcony or club/mini and oceanview/inside nearby - and 2 bathrooms.  

Collage 2022-05-31 13_54_52.jpg

Edited by mking8288

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Kinda putting a magnifying glass to this cruise in July ... As such, as much as I don't like to do it, I'd probably come in the night before ... Hotel suggestions?  

Spotted something on NCL for your short list ... good, tomorrow is June 1st. - see if there are any good promo or insider's deal.  As for hotel, assume that you want something in the Times Square area - a short hop over to Pier 88, a # of Joy cruisers on our Roll Call stay near Hell's Kitchen and just roll down W. 48th Street, don't have details of the property(s) & whether they recommend it or not (sorry).  Have you check out TripAdvisor's with recent reviews & ratings, that's always good to see what's going on ... 

Getaway is doing 10 days in September out of NY (added to the system earlier this month) - Bermuda & Nassau, GSC and PC, plus a stop at Norfolk ... gut feeling, they need to drop prices to make it attractive, lots of ships competing for the same demographics.  

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Spotted something on NCL for your short list ... good, tomorrow is June 1st. - see if there are any good promo or insider's deal.  As for hotel, assume that you want something in the Times Square area - a short hop over to Pier 88, a # of Joy cruisers on our Roll Call stay near Hell's Kitchen and just roll down W. 48th Street, don't have details of the property(s) & whether they recommend it or not (sorry).  Have you check out TripAdvisor's with recent reviews & ratings, that's always good to see what's going on ... 

Getaway is doing 10 days in September out of NY (added to the system earlier this month) - Bermuda & Nassau, GSC and PC, plus a stop at Norfolk ... gut feeling, they need to drop prices to make it attractive, lots of ships competing for the same demographics.  

Happy to see you're NEG on the COVID front.

Agree on all counts about Bermuda.  Will wait until tomorrow to see what fares look like.  Still shooting for July, as I can (re)arrange to be gone for a week, any week, during the month.

Looking at Times Square, as it is a short hop to the pier.  Will eyeball TripAdvisor!

As always, appreciate your input.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 8:43 PM, njhorseman said:

Since NCL doesn't own or operate the terminal what authority do they have? How much power does it have under its contract with the PA? Can Greyhound insist that its bus passengers wear a mask while inside Port Authority Bus Terminal? Can United Airlines require its passengers to wear a mask while inside Newark Airport ? Doesn't that authority rest with the Port Authority, not the common carriers who use the facilities?

the big difference is that NCL is - at most times - the only tenant in the MCT on a given day. so, yes, they can absolutely require the terminal to be operated as per their rules on those days. as for greyhound and united, they can make their own more stringent rules on their busses and aircraft, but not in shared terminals.  

as for newark airport, united doesn't own it, but it pretty much calls the shots at EWR as the most powerful airline in town... it "owns" the airport in that sense and almost always gets its way.... it has several terminals in which it is the only carrier. i suspect that if it wanted to require masks in terminals in which it is the only carrier, it could. it's really no different than providing special lanes for its premium passengers. PA runs the terminal and united works with them and contractors to provide special services for elite passengers. (yes, that is for a subset of passengers, but in a terminal in which united is the only carrier, it calls the shots.)

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

the big difference is that NCL is - at most times - the only tenant in the MCT on a given day. so, yes, they can absolutely require the terminal to be operated as per their rules on those days. as for greyhound and united, they can make their own more stringent rules on their busses and aircraft, but not in shared terminals.  

as for newark airport, united doesn't own it, but it pretty much calls the shots at EWR as the most powerful airline in town... it "owns" the airport in that sense and almost always gets its way.... it has several terminals in which it is the only carrier. i suspect that if it wanted to require masks in terminals in which it is the only carrier, it could. it's really no different than providing special lanes for its premium passengers. PA runs the terminal and united works with them and contractors to provide special services for elite passengers. (yes, that is for a subset of passengers, but in a terminal in which united is the only carrier, it calls the shots.)

FYI, United does not have "several terminals in which it is the only carrier". There are only three terminals at EWR, A, B and C. United is the sole tenant in Terminal C. Terminals A and B are used a by numerous airlines, including United. So while United may be able to dictate conditions in Terminal C they don't have control of the other two.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:45 AM, mking8288 said:

@dexddd - for your convenience, of source ... to save you a little time to try to decide what's good to try.  Here are more close-up food photos - finally extracted more from DW's SS Galaxy S21 - one of the friendly hostess at Food Republic, mask off just for photo (she'll very pleased that this is on CruiseCritic)

20220512_192419.jpg

20220512_192428.jpg

20220512_192543.jpg

20220512_191854.jpg

20220512_191849.jpg

20220512_192408.jpg

20220512_192414.jpg

20220512_190316.jpg

20220512_185652.jpg

20220512_192121.jpg

You keep killing me with the food pics.  Trying to decide whether hot dogs or some frozen item fir lunch today at work.

• Haha 1