Celebrity cancelled my cruise - options?

besners

Celebrity cancelled my cruise and says that they will offer a 25% discount on a future cruise. 

The 25% discount does NOT compensate for the promo I received on the original booking. Not to mention the inconvenience and costs associated with having to cancel airfare, seats etc.

It just doesn't seem right.

Has anyone received at minimum full transfer of original promo to a new cruise?

My mouth is soured by celebrity.

5 minutes ago, besners said:

Celebrity cancelled my cruise and says that they will offer a 25% discount on a future cruise. 

The 25% discount does NOT compensate for the promo I received on the original booking. Not to mention the inconvenience and costs associated with having to cancel airfare, seats etc.

A real bummer.  Earlier in the pandemic, nearly all the cruise lines bent over backwards to offer deals or transfer bookings to future cruises.  But in more recent months the lines (including Celebrity) have been less willing to deal.  You should certainly call X or your cruise agent and try to make a deal but you may be disappointed.  As to air, those of us who have booked our own air (vs using air through the cruise line) we can try to work out a deal with the airline (many will give you a future air voucher/credit).  We have had 8 cruises canceled because of COVID so do truly feel your pain.

Hank

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, besners said:

Did you read your cruise line’s T&Cs and Ticket Contract? Like it or not, most (if not all) cruise lines would owe you nothing beyond a refund of your PAID fare (i.e, actual $$$ you paid) and,  most often, redeposit of any of that line’s FCCs you may have used to offset your cost. Anything else, like transfer of provided SBC or pre-discounted list price differences from your PAID $ fare to a new cruise would usually be irrelevant.

Of course,  DIY expenses also have nothing to do with your cruise fare. That’s why savvy travelers have adequate/appropriate trip cancel/interrupt insurance coverage.

While the 25% off future cruise provision (plus PAID fare refund) may not be as good a deal as was occasionally available at the outset of the Covid era, it’s still better than nothing.

Nonetheless, it never hurts to pursue a negotiation about the specifics of transferring a previous deal when it wasn’t you who cancelled. Some cruise lines handle such things on a case-by-case basis and, at least with our preferred line, if you or your TA have a long-standing relationship with the line in question, they will bend over backwards to accommodate you. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, besners said:

Are you on the May 22 Eclipse? Sounds like Celebrity is now allowing Lift and Shift to similar Alaska cruise. 

8 hours ago, besners said:

You're correct to fell soured by Celebrity.  They didn't treat you right by not price protecting you to a similar cruise.  Take the refund and look for another cruise line.

14 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

You're correct to fell soured by Celebrity.  They didn't treat you right by not price protecting you to a similar cruise.  Take the refund and look for another cruise line.

OP could do what many former Celebrity cruisers do: Move up to one of the two true premium lines - Azamara or Oceania.

We are re-booked with the 25% off prevailing rates after cancellation of the Eclipse May 22nd cruise.  Celebrity did NOT offer us a Lift & Shift opportunity, nor did they protect our Suite cabin for a future cruise. We are happy with our new booking, but feeling a bit "soured" on the whole experience. We are also booked on the previous week's cruise which has shortened port times to a measly 3.5 and 3.0 hours for Sitka & Ketchikan, respectively. It's crummy. 

With a global pandemic and various wars, I think international travel and cruising may be hit or miss for the next few years.

There is an old saying:  "you pays your money, and you takes your chances"

If you aren't willing to live with the uncertainty of cancelled cruises at any point in time (even just before sailing), consistently changing itineraries (even being notified of a change as you are preparing to board the ship), and constantly changing travel and medical requirements.    For myself, I may just give up with cruising for a while.