Question for tea drinkers

patty1955

I do like to bring my own tea.  It is the lightest, smallest thing I pack!  My preference is Fortnum & Mason offerings but will be snagging some of the orchid vanilla tea from Red Ginger.  Have not tried it in the past.  Thanks for the tip.  

Katie

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

not sure  if you can still get the small packs of instant coffee  like Starbucks  but that may appeal to some that do not like O coffee

I usually only drink  Cappuccino

On our last vacation I took a tin of Starbucks coffee (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YQVMJDT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Unfortunately I left it at our lodging in Tahiti. I really could had used it on Windstar!

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

On our last vacation I took a tin of Starbucks coffee (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YQVMJDT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Unfortunately I left it at our lodging in Tahiti. I really could had used it on Windstar!

Have you tried their singles ?

Probably more pricey in the long run but easier to pack

https://www.starbucksathome.com/ca/en-ca/products/starbucks-single-origin-colombia-8-sachets

On 5/9/2022 at 8:07 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

We put at least two (if not three) bags per pot of hot water. DW doesn’t use any cream. But I love her anyway.😍

Agree with everything except cream in tea.  Black yes, added milk, also yes, but cream?  Great with coffee though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, patty1955 said:

I've actually considered switching to tea when I travel since I get so much bad coffee, especially on cruises.

Baristas serves Illy coffee.  Truly delicious, and the genuine article, brewed from freshly ground beans in their espresso machine.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 3:32 AM, Rosroz said:

You can only make a decent cup of tea using BOILING water ... put them in a pot and pour the boiling water over ...

I don't find the tea strong enough in restaurants or on cruises either, because I do want the extraction possible with water just off the boil (At home in my own kitchen with gadgets, I use 205 F for black tea, not full 212 F boiling temp, but same idea.)

On Crystal, I was able to specifically request (of a waiter, or on room service card) for the tea to be added to the pot IN THE KITCHEN with water just off the boil. I did get much better results that way. I think even on HAL room service was usually willing to drop the teabag in the pot when I wrote it in as a request, but that's been awhile. Most restaurant servers respond pretty well to this request, too; if they're friendly, I ask them to pop the mug in the microwave if necessary to get it above "coffee machine water spigot" tepid.

Has anyone on Oceania tried requesting this, either in a venue or from room service, for stronger black tea? I'm hoping to take my first O cruise in 2024. 🤞

I don't want a pod coffee maker in my hotel/stateroom, but I would adore a kettle!

A strong cup of Yorkshire Gold first thing in the morning is one of the few things that happens better at my home than at even most luxury vacation spots. When we moved into an unusual, kind-of-ostentatiously designed 1980's built home that had a wet bar in the master bedroom, setting up a tea station within steps of my bed was second only to *finally* having more than one bathroom on my list of favorite things about the new house. (Even higher than our ocean view!) 😆

22 minutes ago, willoL said:

I don't want a pod coffee maker in my hotel/stateroom, but I would adore a kettle!

No worries   Oceania have neither in the cabins

I find getting to afternoon tea early  the water is hot  so putting the bag in asap i possible 

The vanilla orchid tea in Red Ginger is one of my favorites. Buy it at home from Tea Forte.  Wish they offered it in other venues on the ship. I got hocked on Tea Forte on Celebrity. They serve it at the coffee bar, Al Bacio.  I also like Ceylon gold.

15 hours ago, Rosroz said:

To make a proper cup of tea you need BOILING water and it needs to be poured over the tea, not the tea put into hot water 

Absolutely Rosroz! 

I have asked at O's afternoon teas when the teapots come around for the pot to have two tea bags then boiling water direct from the urn. 

Milk goes in the cup first

Then the only problem is the cups - those afternoon tea cups are wide and shallow so the tea cools really quickly.

Any room service I always ask for mugs as they keep drinks hotter

But at the moment I'm feeling so cruise deprived  I'd  love 💌 an Oceania tea made with warm water & milk second and drunk from a wide and shallow cup!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1