Norwegian Epic embarkation and disembarkation

Hello

We are sailing from Barcelona on 5th June. It is our 4th NCL cruise and our first since COVID. (Well except for a hideous experience on a mini cruise with MSC from Southampton in September 21) and the second time on the Epic.
Wondering what the embarkation process is? Will we get a time slot? We are likely to be at the port about 11am ideally. 

Also, what time do we need to be off the ship on last morning? Can we just walk off with our bags? I much prefer it to handing over my luggage the night before.

Finally, does know what the capacity is running at? I’m hearing reports of only a third full but with a full compliment of staff. 

Thank you

Lesley x

On 5/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, Matahari47 said:

Hello

We are sailing from Barcelona on 5th June. It is our 4th NCL cruise and our first since COVID. (Well except for a hideous experience on a mini cruise with MSC from Southampton in September 21) and the second time on the Epic.

Wondering what the embarkation process is? Will we get a time slot? We are likely to be at the port about 11am ideally. 

Also, what time do we need to be off the ship on last morning? Can we just walk off with our bags? I much prefer it to handing over my luggage the night before.

Finally, does know what the capacity is running at? I’m hearing reports of only a third full but with a full compliment of staff. 

Thank you

Lesley x

At 12 midnight (Miami Time) 21 days to departure you can complete your check in and select a checkin time. First come first serve. (That’s this weekend)

On the final day, all-ashore will be around 9:30. Barcelona is the primary embarkation port, so there will be folks who embarked in Rome still onboard. Leaving after the shore excursion crowd leaves the ship will make it easier to get you and your bags down the gangway. There is no customs checks, so you walk off and out to a taxi. 

Edited by BirdTravels

We were on the Epic at the beginning of April....it had 1300 passengers, 1400 crew. We didn't embark there so can't comment, but disembarkation was fairly smooth. Not sure this changed, but if you are not from the EU there was a customs line to go through. We got off the ship at 745 and there was no line but 30 mins later there was quite the line. 

We're boarding Sunday in Barcelona. When doing check-in, I knee-jerked and took the first available slot at 9 am. But then  realized, I wouldn't mind having more hours walking around Barcelona. 

Would it be a big problem if we show up late? Or, can we change our check-in time 4 days prior to check in ( if yes, how do we do so?)

Thanks all!

8 hours ago, Bowmanvilletravel said:

We were on the Epic at the beginning of April....it had 1300 passengers, 1400 crew. We didn't embark there so can't comment, but disembarkation was fairly smooth. Not sure this changed, but if you are not from the EU there was a customs line to go through. We got off the ship at 745 and there was no line but 30 mins later there was quite the line. 

I assume that this was after the transatlantic? That would explain the queue for immigration.

When the Epic is doing the standard round trip there is no immigration on disembarkation, so no queues there (unless something significant has changed).

• Like 1

Been trying to find experiences with end of cruise testing prior to flying back to U.S.

What is the process on board?  Looking at the dailies, there was nothing listed.

We board this Sunday the 15th and fly home at 1:45 the following Sunday.  So, plenty of time pre-flight.  But, we understood NCL would provide the test prior to debarkation.

29 minutes ago, Cobra1365 said:

Been trying to find experiences with end of cruise testing prior to flying back to U.S.

What is the process on board?  Looking at the dailies, there was nothing listed.

We board this Sunday the 15th and fly home at 1:45 the following Sunday.  So, plenty of time pre-flight.  But, we understood NCL would provide the test prior to debarkation.

A few weeks ago on the Jade they were providing tests on the final day. I didn’t need one, so don’t know the detail, but they had times for different groups listed in the dailies and also a separate walk in area for those who hadn’t registered.

I was in a non Haven suite and we had a letter saying that we could get tests done in the Haven.

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

A few weeks ago on the Jade they were providing tests on the final day. I didn’t need one, so don’t know the detail, but they had times for different groups listed in the dailies and also a separate walk in area for those who hadn’t registered.

I was in a non Haven suite and we had a letter saying that we could get tests done in the Haven.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Keith..I read your fantastic Live report of your Greek Isles cruise on the Jade..seemed like you loved some of it but weren't 100% impressed with Greece? We are looking at the Jade sailings to Greece next year, and struggling on whether to do that one or to perhaps try one of the Western Med...which looks beautiful as well! Or there is always that thought of staying a bit closer to home and doing something like Bermuda etc! What's your thoughts on those options, since you are an avid cruiser?!!! We just returned from an Eastern Caribbean sailing on RCCL Symphony of the Seas, had a fantastic time service and the ship were amazing...And we are doing the Bliss in Alaska early July so we have that to look forward to. But really struggling with next year (probably in May) and what to choose if we do Europe or something different! Thanks for any tips! We gravitate towards NCL, RCCL, and I think we would also enjoy Celebrity...

7 hours ago, etravel said:

Keith..I read your fantastic Live report of your Greek Isles cruise on the Jade..seemed like you loved some of it but weren't 100% impressed with Greece? We are looking at the Jade sailings to Greece next year, and struggling on whether to do that one or to perhaps try one of the Western Med...which looks beautiful as well! Or there is always that thought of staying a bit closer to home and doing something like Bermuda etc! What's your thoughts on those options, since you are an avid cruiser?!!! We just returned from an Eastern Caribbean sailing on RCCL Symphony of the Seas, had a fantastic time service and the ship were amazing...And we are doing the Bliss in Alaska early July so we have that to look forward to. But really struggling with next year (probably in May) and what to choose if we do Europe or something different! Thanks for any tips! We gravitate towards NCL, RCCL, and I think we would also enjoy Celebrity...

I'll try to be brief, as this is quite off topic.

I was probably a bit unfair about Greece in my report. I do like it, but there are other places which I prefer. Santorini is really nice, although Thira is just OK in my opinion, and I really love Rhodes, but many other Greek ports, whilst being nice, don't excite me. In the Eastern Med, my ideal itinerary would include the Croatian ports, Motor (a real favourite) and Istanbul. Having said that, a Greek Islands cruise makes for some of the best sailing. One of my favourite cruise memories was from a few years ago, sitting on our aft balcony with some wine at night watching the Islands pass by. I would certainly recommend the Eastern Med, and the Greek ports.

Western Med is quite different. It isn't as scenic, and travelling to places like Rome and Florence make it quite tiring. However, there are some great ports and I particularly love Barcelona (we often sail from there). I think that the Epic round trip is a great introduction, as it includes Barcelona, Rome, Naples and Livorno (Florence).

It may be worth looking at the 10 day cruises that NCL are doing from Rome (we are doing it on the Breakaway next year). It includes some Greek ports but also Sicily and Malta (which are both new for us). I think that would be a great introduction as well.

Give it a go. People generally aren't disappointed by the Med.

Just checked in. Fairly easy, if lengthy process. 

Two issues - it wouldn’t verify my flights. Despite multiple attempts. But we have booked these independently and so eventually I clicked no flights just to get through the process. I’m guessing it’s more about flogging you a transfer anyway.

also, I’m using Randox for our pre cruise covid tests. Substantially cheaper than NCL option. But online check in made me register with their own provider. I assume that i can just upload Randox fit to travel cert to this portal anyway, 

apart from the above we are good to go 

9 minutes ago, Matahari47 said:

Just checked in. Fairly easy, if lengthy process. 

Two issues - it wouldn’t verify my flights. Despite multiple attempts. But we have booked these independently and so eventually I clicked no flights just to get through the process. I’m guessing it’s more about flogging you a transfer anyway.

also, I’m using Randox for our pre cruise covid tests. Substantially cheaper than NCL option. But online check in made me register with their own provider. I assume that i can just upload Randox fit to travel cert to this portal anyway, 

apart from the above we are good to go 

Yes, no need to put flights in, as you say it’s just to offer you transfers.

The registration for testing is a standard thing which is usually not needed now. It’s worth registering as it may speed things up should they be doing their own testing at the port, but you still need to do your own.