Using tmobile to text while at sea

We are traveling with another family and would like to use our cell phones occasionally to text each other. Basically just to figure  out where to meet up.Tmobile says that texting aboard our ship (Oasis of the Seas) would be 50 cents per text which is WAY cheaper than buying an internet package. I was wondering about quality while the ship is at sea. Has anyone used it? Does it work?

10 hours ago, mjthecruiser said:

Tmobile says that texting aboard our ship (Oasis of the Seas) would be 50 cents per text which is WAY cheaper than buying an internet package.

While that may be true, all kinds of other traffic may get through to the phone running up your bill in a hurry. @SRF may have some feedback.

The second that phone is turned on, all of the text that you receive daily plus a few that you might not expect will pop in, plus the phone might be using data in the background ( unless you disable).  Have you thought about the chat version through Vroom?  It is a paid service.

So, when you turn your phone on, and not on airplane mode, yes you can text.  It is usually $0.50 outgoing and $.10 incoming but sometimes incoming is free.  So, think of this, one text on the ship is $1.20.  you send it, they receive it, they reply, and you receive it.....$1.20

While your phone is on, it is most likely using data, but you might have all data turned off, so maybe ok but a risk. 

I have T-Mobile. You will require the phone to be active (not airplane) in order to use the text over the network. Unless you manually turn off data, your phone will look for service constantly and it will rack up your bill. Also will drain your battery. 

Royal’s app allows you to text for 1.99 per person per day. I’ve never used that but read others with some success. 

Maybe I’m a sucker but I just buy the 4 device plan for our family and consider it a cost of the vacation. The texting over WiFi gives me more confidence for my teens. Everyone has their own needs and comfort level, so just educate yourself and make the best decision for you.