Icy Strait Point Gondola/Tram tickets

harrtchr

I’m in Juneau, haven’t been to Hoonah (Icy) for a few years. The cruise ship dock is private, kinda like a private island in the Caribbean. You can buy independent, but it isn’t as easy. The zipline/tram is proprietary. 
Anyone from Hoonah on here?

Dolphin Doug

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 4:48 PM, englander said:

So ... it is possible to buy SkyGlider tix at the 'entrance'? I like the idea of waiting to see what the weather is on the day we get there, May 22, 2023. Last time We were here was in May 2017!

I read on another post that tickets are available onsite and are same price as ship. Of course the ship may charge you extra for a "walking tour". Don't fall for it.

we arrive there 3 days after you and I plan on buying onsite.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I tried to buy tickets for the zip line (gondola ride to the top is included in price) direct from the zip line  outfit. I was told to contact my cruise ship. I did b/c I really want to do the zip line and didn’t want to risk it being sold out on the day we arrive in port. My impression is that you can buy upon arrival, and I think the gondola tickets are more plentiful, so if weather concerns are your issue, maybe wait and see.

2 hours ago, kickboxrca said:

Does anyone know if there are additional tickets that will be available if times are "sold out" on the ship's booking?  We don't want to miss out!

TIA!

We bought through the cruise line and here’s no set time. You can go anytime.

5 minutes ago, argentar said:

I wonder if this is cruise line specific ... ours definitely has 30 minute time slot times.  Interesting. What line are you on?  We are with HAL.

13 hours ago, kickboxrca said:

I wonder if this is cruise line specific ... ours definitely has 30 minute time slot times.  Interesting. What line are you on?  We are with HAL.

13 hours ago, argentar said:

The zip rider will absolutely have set times. The gondola will not. Some ride the gondola for the views and take it back down. 

Patty 

• Like 1

I have read this thread but am still a bit confused. We are arriving on the Oceana Regatta so not sure what pier they use. We want to take the red Skyglider gondola to the top and walk on our own then take it back down which I read is $49.95. We would buy the tickets at the site.  How do we actually get the gondola. Is it walkable and how far is it from the pier?  Thanks.

4 hours ago, kenasch2 said:

I have read this thread but am still a bit confused. We are arriving on the Oceana Regatta so not sure what pier they use. We want to take the red Skyglider gondola to the top and walk on our own then take it back down which I read is $49.95. We would buy the tickets at the site.  How do we actually get the gondola. Is it walkable and how far is it from the pier?  Thanks.

https://www.whatsinport.com/Sitka-AK.htm

This may be some help! Alaska ports are listed and some great maps

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Icy Point yesterday,  May 10, 2023, with Holland America.  The gondola which goes to the top of the mountain, The Sky Glider is $49.95. 

Edited by quiltmaker55
Incorrect information
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, quiltmaker55 said:

I was at Icy Point yesterday,  May 10, 2023, with Holland America.  The gondola which goes to the top of the mountain, The Sky Glider is $49.95. 

Did you book a ship tour? Ride it up? Walk around? Then ride it down?

23 hours ago, quiltmaker55 said:

Do tell!  What's up there at the top for those not looking for the zipline? 

We were just in ISP this past week (May 9).  We did the Glacier Wind whale watching (amazing) so we didn't do the zipline.  The Green Gondola was open and running, and it was free.  It took you thru/above the ropes course, and it continues to a vantage point part way up the mountain.  Where it ends you can visit a gift store (we didn't go in), or you could walk over to the view outlook site, snap some photos and return back down via the same Green Gondola.  Or, you can walk back down via the well marked Beach Trail.  The sign says it is a 15 minute walk, but it took us a bit longer.  Be aware that the first part of the trail is elevated (which came as a surprise to me), but in the end I am glad I walked down.

I believe the gondola that folks are saying costs $49.95 is the Red Gondola which takes you to the top of the mountain.

1 hour ago, TeachAloha said:

Silly question, but if we bought SkyGlider (red gondola) tickets trough the cruise line, do we pick them up on the ship or at the gondola?

On the ship they will be in your room. 

It seems like the SkyGlider and ZipRider prices through NCL have shot up in the last month or so.  I recall it being $50 for the gondola and $140 for the zipline when we first booked, but it now shows $70 and $240.  Am I  remembering wrong?  It sounds like the gondola is still $50 on location, but now I'm worried it will go up once summer starts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneTwoThreeFourFive said:

It seems like the SkyGlider and ZipRider prices through NCL have shot up in the last month or so.  I recall it being $50 for the gondola and $140 for the zipline when we first booked, but it now shows $70 and $240.  Am I  remembering wrong?  It sounds like the gondola is still $50 on location, but now I'm worried it will go up once summer starts.

Yes, NCL had the gondola for $49 until about a week ago. I used the shore excursion credit to get a ticket for free. Probably why they raised the price as people could get them for free.

Edited by JAFA13
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yeah, NCL has it listed as $69.  I'm guessing that the port charges the cruise line $20 or so per person, so in order for NCL to make money after the $50 Free at Sea credit, they raised it to $69.  

I'm still not convinced it is worth $19 to go up the Gondola.  Maybe I'll wait and see what the weather is like.

• Like 1