Timing of 72 Hour Test

TomMMD

We fly out of Washington DC around 9:30 pm on a Wednesday.

Our health provider has Covid tests until 12 noon on Sunday.

Strictly speaking, that is outside of the 72 hour window that you are supposed to meet.   How closely do they apply the window?

We got back from our Mediterranean ocean cruise on Viking about a month ago.  We went to great measures to make sure we had the tests in the proper timeframes.  Based on our departure times, we really only had 48 hrs..  Since CVS and Walgreen said results returned usually in 48-72 hours, but wouldnt guarantee anything, we went to both.  And we scheduled a back-up 24hr antigen test ($$+) just in case.   CVS didn't even time stamp, just date stamp.  Walgreens did.  Both got back in time, so we cancelled antigen.  AND here's the kicker..... NO ONE asked to see them!!!  In talking to other passengers on the ship, some said Viking asked to see them and some said Viking did not ask.   

And after landing in Barcelona, we got nasal tested at the cruise terminal, then walked to our room where we took a saliva test before leaving our room (both within an hour of each other)

Overlooking all the covid craziness, it was a great trip!!!

3 hours ago, ro156542 said:

And after landing in Barcelona, we got nasal tested at the cruise terminal, then walked to our room where we took a saliva test before leaving our room (both within an hour of each other)

Where at the Cruise Terminal did you get tested?

1 hour ago, Dukefan said:

Where at the Cruise Terminal did you get tested?

Right inside Barcelona terminal.  They had full medical team with lab. 

They may have realized the redundancy (and craziness) of that step.  I heard that those who arrived late on embarkation day didn't have to..(????)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ro156542 said:

Right inside Barcelona terminal.  They had full medical team with lab. 

They may have realized the redundancy (and craziness) of that step.  I heard that those who arrived late on embarkation day didn't have to..(????)

Was that test required?  Everyone embarking was tested?  

I’m finding this all so confusing. We are arriving in Barcelona two days before the cruise. When do we test?  There was another thread that said within 72 hours of first international flight OR 24 hours prior to embarkation.  I poured over the Viking site and did not see the “OR” clause anywhere!  

I also found the whole testing issue to be unclear.  We opted to test 72 hours prior to first flight.  We scheduled them 72 hours to the minute.  We did test 71 hours 55 minutes prior to the flight.  The test results indicated our check in time at test location which was 72 hours 10:minutes prior to flight.  

it didn’t matter.

We did a pre-excursion and we were tested at the hotel by. Viking vendor.

We did an on line test 24 hours before boarding, as requested.  The Viking check in team did not ask if we had done so or what the result was,  but we had to do a spit test at the check in.  We wore a mask.   Then we stayed in our stateroom but we were never told the result of the test so we enjoyed our cruise,( being tested every morning,) and never hearing until the last day that we had tested negative and were safe to return home.  Since the UK did not need a negative test it was all a bit academic.   We accepted all of this protocol without demur. No masks were required.   J

2 hours ago, Jay23 said:

We did an on line test 24 hours before boarding, as requested.  The Viking check in team did not ask if we had done so or what the result was,  but we had to do a spit test at the check in.  We wore a mask.   Then we stayed in our stateroom but we were never told the result of the test so we enjoyed our cruise,( being tested every morning,) and never hearing until the last day that we had tested negative and were safe to return home.  Since the UK did not need a negative test it was all a bit academic.   We accepted all of this protocol without demur. No masks were required.   J

Can you tell me where you saw the requirement for 24 hours prior to boarding?  I’m fine testing but can’t find the language on the website-is it 24/72 hours before first flight AND 24 hours before boarding?  24/72 hours before flight OR 24 hours before boarding?  

14 hours ago, lisaatric said:

Was that test required?  Everyone embarking was tested?  

I’m finding this all so confusing. We are arriving in Barcelona two days before the cruise. When do we test?  There was another thread that said within 72 hours of first international flight OR 24 hours prior to embarkation.  I poured over the Viking site and did not see the “OR” clause anywhere!  

Yes it was required when we embarked (no tests were optional!)  As i said, everyone we saw embarking was required to test, but i heard that those embarking late in the day did not.  They may have realized the error of their ways (?).  I would chat with Viking directly.  It seems to be changing by the minute.

72 hour test is for a PCR test ............ 24 hour hour test is an Antigen.  We were in Oslo for a day before boarding so had to do that test.   I am not surprised you cannot sort it all out, it is very confusing.  J