Stockholm Experts

duquephart

The experts for any port of call are found in the Port of Call forum.

Here is a thread I started in April about Stockholm.  Two Swedish posters have been very helpful in answering specific questions  about Stockholm. I would ask them .

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2848286-stockholm-cruise-staying-one-night-before-cruise/#comment-63210373

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, duquephart said:

Two questions:

1. How does one get from where the ship is parked to the Vasa Museum and back? Easy?

2. At what time can one leave the "parked" ship to venture out on their own?

Easiest way used to be was to take the ferry from the shore stop in Gamla Stan over to Djurgarden and walk. I haven’t been to Stockholm for a few years, so don’t know if this public transportation ferry is still running. Anyone else with more recent experience?

You can leave the ship in almost any port that I have been on with Viking as soon as they are cleared by local authorities (this can range any where from 15 minutes to an hour depending on the arrival time and the port).    Since Stockholm does not require a tender, I believe you would be safe to assume you can leave the ship withina half an hour.   

If I am remembering correctly from my last trip there on Viking, Viking offers shuttle buses from the port to the Opera House which is across from the Royal Palace on Gamla Stan.  From there to the Vasa Museum is about a 30 minute walk.

I would recommend taking the Hop-on Hop-off boat which costs about $30/person for 24 hours and get you around to most of the sites on the water which we found to be more fun than the hop-on hop-off bus (we have done both on various trips to Stockholm).  You can also use public transportation but it often requires several changes to get better the various sites.

The sites we found most interesting and return to everytime in Stockholm are the Vasa Museum, the Royal Palace, the City Hall and the Nobel Museum.

Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, duquephart said:

I'm asking about getting off a ship that has been "parked" for a couple of days, not just arrived. Thanks.

When docked overnight, unless in a country that requires Immigration every time you go ashore, the gangway is usually open 24/7. In Stockholm you should be able to head ashore at any time, if overnight alongside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1