Seattle Recommendations Pre-cruise with minimal walking

Schoifmom

Hi, all!!

We have just planned an Alaskan adventure and having never been to Seattle, we plan to arrive very early Sunday morning prior to a Tuesday cruise (like 1am).  We will be staying at a hotel near the airport for convenience and would rather not rent a car.  What is the best way for us to do sightseeing with minimal walking (DH has some issues with distances)?  Do you have any recommendations for us???

This is a tough one as Seattle is spread out enough to be problematic for someone who has distance issues.  Not sure if you meant any distance, or long distances, it's a bit unclear.   Even arriving on the light rail will  get you 4 blocks or so from Pike Place Market.  Same with Seattle Center.  You can get there via the Monorail, but there will be walking involved (although  Chihuly Garden and Glass is close by).

I googled private tours and saw a small tour company called Show Me Seattle.  This might be an option for you.

https://showmeseattle.com/private-tours/

Do you plan to rent a scooter for the ship and the Alaska port-of-calls?

• Like 1

Hi there!

Your easiest bet would be to take the light rail. You can take the hotel shuttle to the airport, and then from there, follow the signs to the Light Rail. I believe the airport has complimentary carts to take you to the light rail if a 1/4 mile walk is too hard.

The light rail is $2.75- take it north. It's about 36 minutes from the airport to Westlake Station. From Westlake station, you are about 4 blocks from Pike Place Market, take Pine Street down, it's relatively flat. 

The other option from Westlake Station is to take the monorail to Seattle Center, which will have the Space Needle, the Chihuly Gardens, The Museum of Pop and a really nice park surrounding the area.

Uber and Lyfts are plentiful downtown to get you wherever else you'd like to visit. 

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

This is a tough one as Seattle is spread out enough to be problematic for someone who has distance issues.  Not sure if you meant any distance, or long distances, it's a bit unclear.   Even arriving on the light rail will  get you 4 blocks or so from Pike Place Market.  Same with Seattle Center.  You can get there via the Monorail, but there will be walking involved (although  Chihuly Garden and Glass is close by).

I googled private tours and saw a small tour company called Show Me Seattle.  This might be an option for you.

https://showmeseattle.com/private-tours/

Do you plan to rent a scooter for the ship and the Alaska port-of-calls?

Thanks for the recommendation on the tour company.  Yes, he will have a scooter for the ship and ports of call.  He's working hard to get better with distances, but certainly couldn't handle walking around the ports 🙂  I'm hoping that by the time we leave, he will be able to do the 4 block walk.  Right now, it's a bit of a stretch.

Scootaround scooter rentals has a kiosk at Pier 91 on most ship days.  Not sure if you are renting a scooter, or using your own.  If renting from them, you would have the option of picking the scooter up before entering the terminal building, or having it waiting for you in your stateroom.  While there is wheelchair assistance, unfortunately the wait can be long.

Also, be sure to have your ArriveCan registration completed, and the confirmation QR code for both of you ready to be shown at the terminal entrance. 

• Like 1