Is Walgreens discontinuing rapid NAAT test?

2 hours ago, williamsk said:

Hi, first time cruising since covid. Is the covid test free for travelers? Will rapid NAAT work for Carnival? Also confused a bit on timing of tests, we have a 4 yo traveling with us as well. Can anyone clarify it in plain English? Maybe we haven't received relevant documents yet?

My suggestion as I've cruised 5 times since the resumption... Just order thrme at home test from Optum. You don't have to worry about appointments,  lab losing your sample, getting your results on time , etc. It's quick, easy and efficient.  If cost is a concern for you, you can pay with your FSA (and I'm pretty sure submit to your insurance for reimbursement). Even if you go the Walgreens route, they are great to have as a backup if your results don't come back in time.

Go with the at home option...you'll be glad you did.

5 hours ago, WKUTopperFan said:

My suggestion as I've cruised 5 times since the resumption... Just order thrme at home test from Optum. You don't have to worry about appointments,  lab losing your sample, getting your results on time , etc. It's quick, easy and efficient.  If cost is a concern for you, you can pay with your FSA (and I'm pretty sure submit to your insurance for reimbursement). Even if you go the Walgreens route, they are great to have as a backup if your results don't come back in time.

I just did this, exactly as you said. I read the first posts in this thread, went to the Walgreens website and couldn’t book a week out, immediately panicked and ordered the proctored home tests. Used the FSA, paid the charge for expedited shipping so we should receive by Thursday. We’ll plan to do Walgreens Friday, fly out Saturday, board the ship Monday and we’ll have these as the backup. Can we use our phone for the proctored video chat rather than a computer? I assume so.

6 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I just did this, exactly as you said. I read the first posts in this thread, went to the Walgreens website and couldn’t book a week out, immediately panicked and ordered the proctored home tests. Used the FSA, paid the charge for expedited shipping so we should receive by Thursday. We’ll plan to do Walgreens Friday, fly out Saturday, board the ship Monday and we’ll have these as the backup. Can we use our phone for the proctored video chat rather than a computer? I assume so.

I've never tried to use my phone. I don't see how you can unless you could prop it up  during the test(the proctor has to be able to see the kit and test card at all times... while observing you performing tasks). That reminds me I need to order another couple tests fir my August cruise... I only have one on hand and need at least two for my boyfriend and myself. 

You are well organized KMom so I'm not gonna tell you what to do... but if you're ordering the kits why not just test at home the day you plan to go to Walgreens? You already will have the kit. You'll save gas, save time, and have the piece of mind you're negative and going on the cruise immediately. It's a great feeling. If not, the plan as is is full proof... have a great cruise! 

• Like 1

The Walgreens around me (west coast central Florida) has always been and still allows booking three days out.

There is no testing available for Saturday or Sunday. As a matter of fact, the pharmacies in the stores around me are now closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

How does a drug store not have an opened pharmacy?

6 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

My appointments that I made a week ago (when my Walgreens was still doing 7 day out scheduling) are still in the system, so we are good to test for this Wednesday!👍

can book 3 days in advance

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAVLIB007 said:

can book 3 days in advance

Yes!  I was worried that my appointments made seven days ago wouldn't be there with the new "three day scheduling".  They are there so I'm happy.  Now we just need to test negative.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Yes!  I was worried that my appointments made seven days ago wouldn't be there with the new "three day scheduling".  They are there so I'm happy.  Now we just need to test negative.....

A number of people on our cruise ran into this issue since they changed from 7 to 3 days the day after a bunch of us scheduled our tests.  

On 5/21/2022 at 4:52 PM, williamsk said:

Hi, first time cruising since covid. Is the covid test free for travelers? Will rapid NAAT work for Carnival? Also confused a bit on timing of tests, we have a 4 yo traveling with us as well. Can anyone clarify it in plain English? Maybe we haven't received relevant documents yet?

YES, rapid NAAT will get you onboard. That was the test my lady and I took and we're At Sea.

If you're "Up To Date" with BOOSTER shots you can test 3 days before your cruise departure.

Otherwise you have to test within 2 days before. No boosters for us, so we had to test no earlier than Thursday for our Saturday cruise.

On 5/21/2022 at 5:17 PM, WKUTopperFan said:

Have an extra home test on hand if you do this. DH and I did our Optum tests before our last cruise and DH's did not work (the solution did not move up the test strip). Optum said they'd mail a new one overnight, but they did not send it to the address he requested, but to our home address (we were already at port city). Luckily, a nearby Walgreens was able to get him in last minute for a NAAT. Stressful, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shannydayle said:

Our Walgreens in Washington is scheduling a week out again! Just made my appt for our cruise next week.  

Same here in Florida, but they are closed on Memorial Day.  Ours are scheduled for later this morning.

Same here in Illinois.  I was just on their site to make sure nothing has changed for our appointments for this afternoon, and was surprised to see this changed again.  So many people I know around here are getting Covid, I'm starting to get nervous about taking the test.  I hope we are all negative when we test today.