Luggage Qestion

rideev

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I remember those days when there was real security at many airport luggage areas.  Now, unless you get to the luggage carrousel before the luggage you are rolling the dice.  We once saw a man walking off with our luggage (at a European airport) and quickly caught up to the guy and "raised the issue."  He quickly apologized and said he had made a mistake and picked up the wrong bag.  Ironically, it turned out to be completely true as we later met this same guy at our hotel, he was on the same cruise, and it was truly an innocent mistake.  That being said it just showed how easy it was (and is) for anyone to walk off with your luggage.

Hank

More than enough issues with some of my condo guests either walking off with someone else's bags or someone taking theirs.  Back and forth between guests & airlines...  Absolutely do what you can to make your luggage "remarkable'.  There are tooooooo many black bags out there!!!

After years of having even one little flaw make a bag unusable, we started buying all our luggage at thrift stores.  Have gotten some excellent pieces, in excellent condition.  We can put lots of decorations on them for identification, and discard if they sustain damage after a few cruises.

I like hard side that I can leave open under the bed on the ship, with rarely-used items available but not in the way.

• Like 1

I bought a bunch of ballistic nylon pieces from Andiamo over twenty years ago that are still in excellent shape; only cosmetic wear.  However, I have since replaced them with ultra-lightweight Delsey Embleme polycarbonate hard side cases and only use the Andiamos for road trips because of airline weight restrictions.  I would echo the previous poster's advice on weight.  No large cases; you'll never stay under the weight limit, and definitely check the weight of the cases themselves.

Am still using Travel Pro bags that have flown about 400,000 miles - yes looking a bit worn.  I do not like 4 wheels as they are too easy to break off so we stick to low profile roller blade type wheels.  Almost all trips we use our roller board 22" and 21" bags and a personal item each as I hate to mess with luggage and usually take public transportation if we can.