QM2 May 15th sailing

ak1004

22 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Not at all. Even in the sample menu, they have two steaks, and on other evenings they had rack of lamb.

Plus on Oceania many other items were really outstanding. 

But, if, as you said, steak doesn't appeal...

Anyway, aren't steak and salmon among the always available in Britannia?

18 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Does it really matter what costs what?

This is the Cunard board. We like Cunard. I for one will not look at Oceania, whatever the cost, cheaper or more expensive.

If Cunard doesn't measure up to a particular line in cost effectiveness, choose the other line. If like us, 'you' find there's more to Cunard than cheaper/more expensive, then stick with Cunard.

Simple and move on.

I completely understand it. I was responding to a comment that it's not fair to compare Oceania with Britannia. And I agree. They are in a different league.

21 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I completely understand it. I was responding to a comment that it's not fair to compare Oceania with Britannia. And I agree. They are in a different league.

and I wasn't responding to any post in particular other than to say choosing to travel Cunard over any other line is a preference which overrides any perceived leagues or indeed, cost.

17 minutes ago, techteach said:

@ak1004 I’m thinking the Oceania board would love to hear about your appreciation for service, food, etc.

I have just been looking at recent reviews, and am surprised by how many are mediocre - much like Cunard. The overall average is 3.9, while Cunard's is 3.8. Not much there to sway one either way.

Ha-ha, I like reading about all those who mainly focus on food on cruise ships. When I was a little girl I took my first cruise for two weeks in the Med and the Black Sea (1973!), and I was a VERY picky eater. I would only order soup and canned fruit cocktail for dessert.  Yes, for two weeks EVERY night. No baked Alaska, cherries jubilee, etc.--just canned fruit cocktail.  Blessed was my waiter for taking caring of me.

I am among the few that actually enjoy losing weight on my cruises!

I like fine dining, but I never stuff myself.  I actually feel very guilty wasting all the food.

At home when I dine out I can bring home the leftovers.

I like cruise ship dining, but overall the ships are serving thousands, so they will never be quite as elite as a special on-land restaurant that serves less than a hundred at a time.

In any case most of the cruise ship food is quite healthy, and since I eat three good meals a day and monitor my portions, I am quite happy.  I also like running around the ship and visiting many great ports. I feel relaxed and I am exercising.  I have never ended a cruise unable to fit into my clothes, like so many others.

Less than a month before my QM2 voyage, and I am looking through my gowns to see which I want to wear!  And most definitely, husband will have his tux.  We LOVE the formality of Cunard because it takes us back to the original days of grand cruising.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have just been looking at recent reviews, and am surprised by how many are mediocre - much like Cunard. The overall average is 3.9, while Cunard's is 3.8. Not much there to sway one either way.

And Silversea is 3.9, Regent 3.8, but Celebrity 4.1.

Does anyone really believe that Celebrity is better than SS and Regent?

At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is YOURS. It's what important to YOU. For us, Cunard is 4 out of 5 (mostly because of the food and the service), but this specific sailing was 3 out of 5 because of internet and embarkation. If internet is not important to YOU, and you are not picky about food, plus like to dress up, it would definitely be 5 out of 5.

4 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

I like cruise ship dining, but overall the ships are serving thousands, so they will never be quite as elite as a special on-land restaurant that serves less than a hundred at a time.

And this is one of the reasons some people like smaller ships with only 500-1,000 people.

• Like 1

Trying to compare cruise ship dining is rather silly, because overall they are more similar than different, no matter how many entrees are offered. 

On my honeymoon we stayed in French Relais & Chateaux. There are fifty diners max in the room. Dining is an ART.  Food is matched and prepared exquisitely.  Meals last for hours.

The chefs value those star ratings and monitor every tiny detail.  No cruise ship will ever match that experience, no matter how good they promote themselves to be.  Dining will never be my first priority on any cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Again with the comparison to Oceania 🤦. You must have been unlucky, Rack of Lamb and the other things you mention (apart from Foie Gras) are usually on the menu one evening.

Perhaps they had difficulty with provisions in New York.

Foie grass is cruel and being barred in many places.  More power to Cunard if it wasn't available...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I'm not sure which cabin categories you are referring to.

On a typical 10-14 days European cruise, Oceania veranda is around $450-500 CAD per night while Cunard Britannia balcony is around $350-400 CAD. When you consider all the inclusions (Oceania price includes complimentary specialty restaurants, Internet, still and sparkling waters, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas, and in many cases gratuities), the price difference is really negligible. 

This is the pricing in Canada, it might be different in the UK.

I suggest you just stick with what you clearly like ...

1 hour ago, techteach said:

@ak1004 I’m thinking the Oceania board would love to hear about your appreciation for service, food, etc.

I always share my appreciation, as well as my criticism. I was very critical of Oceania's entertainment and activities, but my criticism was never met with such hostility..

I salute Cunard marketing department for creating such loyal customer base and such attractive virtual reality!!

36 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

Trying to compare cruise ship dining is rather silly, because overall they are more similar than different, no matter how many entrees are offered. 

Couldn't disagree more.

Even on the same ship, there could be a huge difference between main dining room and suites dining and/or specialty restaurants. Celebrity's Luminae and specialty restaurants are comparable in quality to Oceania, while their main dining room is below average.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Foie grass is cruel and being barred in many places.  More power to Cunard if it wasn't available...

Another myth.

But the funny thing is that it is available in the Grills, but not Britannia. Another example how suites passengers are treated differently, and how Cunard is using those myths to cut costs..

13 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Another myth.

But the funny thing is that it is available in the Grills, but not Britannia. Another example how suites passengers are treated differently, and how Cunard is using those myths to cut costs..

Is it? I haven't noticed it recently.

• Like 1

@ak1004 I have not sailed on Cunard, yet. I began reading this forum to get a feel for Cunard followers to learn before I sail, which is in December. I feel like the rhetoric continues to escalate and have found folks on this forum to truly love Cunard, and will defend it. I think you crossed a line when you suggested the Captain took a 5 hour nap, or something to that effect. Your reply to Megaear2 is inaccurate  because in most areas of the world there are very few restaurants able to acquire ethically sourced foie gras. Foie gras is an example of the price difference between Britannia and QG. I read every thread in this forum by using the “next unread” button, so I have to figure out a way to avoid this thread because I really don’t want to read your posts any more and had hoped you would take my hint regarding the Oceania forum. Good luck on future sailings.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

I always share my appreciation, as well as my criticism. I was very critical of Oceania's entertainment and activities, but my criticism was never met with such hostility..

I salute Cunard marketing department for creating such loyal customer base and such attractive virtual reality!!

From what I've seen here, and in your review, you have devoted far more space to your dissatisfactions than your pleasure. I know you liked the theatre things on QM2, but you told us little about them.

Edited by exlondoner

7 minutes ago, techteach said:

@ak1004 I have not sailed on Cunard, yet. I began reading this forum to get a feel for Cunard followers to learn before I sail, which is in December. I feel like the rhetoric continues to escalate and have found folks on this forum to truly love Cunard, and will defend it. I think you crossed a line when you suggested the Captain took a 5 hour nap, or something to that effect. Your reply to Megaear2 is inaccurate  because in most areas of the world there are very few restaurants able to acquire ethically sourced foie gras. Foie gras is an example of the price difference between Britannia and QG. I read every thread in this forum by using the “next unread” button, so I have to figure out a way to avoid this thread because I really don’t want to read your posts any more and had hoped you would take my hint regarding the Oceania forum. Good luck on future sailings.

My comment about the captain taking a nap was obviously a joke.

As for reading my posts - this forum has an amazing feature called "unfollow". You can unfollow topics, you can unfollow users, and I believe you can even put users on ignore.

P.S. Yes, there is such thing as ethically sourced foie gras, it just costs more. And yes, this is one of the differences between Britannia and QG.

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

From what I've seen here, and in your review, you have devoted far more space to your dissatisfactions than your pleasure. I know you liked the theatre things on QM2, but you told us little about them.

Not at all. I mentioned that London Theater at sea was one in a lifetime event. Some other aspects  were good, not great, and in line with our expectations and other competitors like Celebrity.  

2 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

How?

Hover over my user name and you will see…

Also, I loved the food on our crossing, and the Tikka Masala in the Golden Lion was so good I had it twice!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ak1004 said:

To quote a deceased comedian, maybe it's the way you tell'em

Good to hear a couple of Cunard depts., garnering praise, even if I do think it's with a slight element of  sarcasm or is it another example of  the way you tell'em. 🙂

All company marketing depts. will/should have a customer database as it's a necessary  part of doing business, any business,  and will contain the one time purchaser to those who purchase the product on a regular basis. Loyalty has nothing to do with it as such.

The virtual reality is attractive though so plaudits to the D&T team who probably had a hand in it all too.

Edited by Victoria2

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Good to hear a couple of Cunard depts., garnering praise, even if I do think it's with a slight element of  sarcasm or is it another example of  the way you tell'em. 🙂

All company marketing depts. will/should have a customer database as it's a necessary  part of doing business, any business,  and will contain the one time purchaser to those who purchase the product on a regular basis. Loyalty has nothing to do with it as such.

The virtual reality is attractive though so plaudits to the D&T team who probably had a hand in it all too.

You mean like this quote:

Then 2 days before the end, the captain made an announcement that he is going to reduce speed significantly, otherwise we will arrive early. It was almost like he put the ship on autopilot at high speed, went to sleep, then woke up after 5 day - "ooops, we are too close, have to reduce the speed". 

Wouldn't any reasonable person understand that it was supposed to be a joke and I didn't really think that the captain went to sleep for 5 days?? But some people reacted like I insulted their own child..

All I tried to do is sharing my experience, the good, the bad and the ugly. Maybe some people took it too personally that I don't consider Cunard to be a luxury line, but that's their problem. Sorry.

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

You mean like this quote:

Then 2 days before the end, the captain made an announcement that he is going to reduce speed significantly, otherwise we will arrive early. It was almost like he put the ship on autopilot at high speed, went to sleep, then woke up after 5 day - "ooops, we are too close, have to reduce the speed". 

Wouldn't any reasonable person understand that it was supposed to be a joke and I didn't really think that the captain went to sleep for 5 days?? But some people reacted like I insulted their own child..

All I tried to do is sharing my experience, the good, the bad and the ugly. Maybe some people took it too personally that I don't consider Cunard to be a luxury line, but that's their problem. Sorry.

I don't think anyone is bothered over your considerations of Cunard as a non luxury line. In fact the only two who really mentioned Cunard and  luxury was yourself and another  [#2].

The fact Cunard use the word in their marketing has no real affect on the regulars as we like the product for what it is and not what any terms are apportioned to it in the company literature.

Your negativity was counter balanced with the opposite experiences of others and not out of support for the word 'luxury'.

46 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Your negativity was counter balanced with the opposite experiences of others and not out of support for the word 'luxury'.

My "negativity" was balanced by few good and great things that I mentioned. I believe my review was very objective and balanced, especially when compared to some other recent reviews.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686180

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686464

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=685560

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686678

But yes, I understand that no review will have any impact on the "regulars" - and that's completely fine. Some people like to experience and compare different products, others like to stick to what they know. We have friends who were sailing exclusively on Celebrity for 15+ years. After trying Oceania they are not going back to Celebrity.