Updates request for current US passport renewals

We’ve got multiple intercontinental cruises booked through early 2024 and, although our passports still have more than enough years left (including multi-entry PRC visas still good for years), we’re running out of pages (now there’s a real “first world” problem).

I’ve taken to putting post-it notes in the blank pages asking authorities to please use open spaces on other pages. And I’ve got a calendar showing available time between cruises (ranging from 9 to 13 to 15 weeks) until a big break of 26 weeks (though the passport pages would have to hold out until after the first four  of our future cruises).

In recent months, there have been occasional CC threads about passport renewal times and I’m wondering about what folks going through the process at this point in time are seeing in terms of duration of weeks from submission by mail to the passport center to receipt of both new and old (since the PRC visas will still be okay even in expired passport]) passports.

I know that President Biden has directed the State Department to implement online renewal. But, that will take many many months before it exists.

And, with the understanding that emergency appointments here in SF may be possible (if the “poop hits the fan” on process timing), hearing from other folks doing this now would certainly inform my decision about timing.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

• Flatbush Flyer changed the title to Updates request for current US passport renewals

There have been numerous posts here on Cruise Critc in just the last few weeks that passport renewals have been taking a month or less.  I posted that I mailed in our renewal documentation the last week of March and picked our new passports out of the mailbox the last week of April.  I did not request either expedited processing or priority mailing.

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I know that President Biden has directed the State Department to implement online renewal. But, that will take many many months before it exists.

Progress is being made according to the article below.  Online renewal is currently (began in April and runs through June 2022) being piloted by Federal employees and contractors.  Roll-out to the general public is still 'late 2022.'

https://www.meritalk.com/articles/feds-can-renew-passports-online-ahead-of-new-portals-public-release/