Taxi at cruiseport to Bordeaux airport

azalice

What port?  There are several different ports in the region.  But I will give you a generic answer :).  If you are on one of the smaller vessels that docks in downtown Bordeaux (often adjacent to an urban park) getting a taxi would not be difficult.  In other ports it would be like rolling the dice since French taxi drivers show-up when they feel like showing up and do not show up when they prefer to not work or take a long coffee break.  

Hank

When we were onboard an Azamara ship, we docked in a fabulous location  right in the heart of the city alongside the promenade and close to a public transport hub beside the big park,  so should you do the same, I don't think you would have an issue with finding a taxi.

You could look at the cruise ship schedule on the official port of Bordeaux website to check which of the docking  locations will apply to your sailing.

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

You could look at the cruise ship schedule on the official port of Bordeaux website to check which of the docking  locations will apply to your sailing.

I'm struggling to find that. Would you have a link, please?

We'll be on Oceania's Sirena, which is  a smallish ship, so I'm guessing we'll dock fairly central. It'd be handy to know where, so I can plan my start/finish point for the touristy walk I've put together for us.

TIA

13 hours ago, azalice said:

Thanks Hank. We are on Azamara so likely downtown. Your response is very helpful.

Perhaps but perhaps not!  Before cruisers ask port-specific questions they need to learn the exact docking place (not always a port) used by their ship.  Docking in downtown Bordeaux is pretty rare.  We did it on the old Prinsendam and it was quite an experience.  In order to cruise up the Gironde River a ship (only smaller ships need apply) must take aboard a specially trained French river pilot.  In our case the pilot was flown out to our ship via helicopter and winched down to the deck.  He then took our ship up the river (this was an overnight operation) where we docked adjacent to a public park located just outside of the central downtown area.  Even this was an "event" since the local gendarmes would not allow our crew to remove part of the park fence (only a few bolts) which was necessary to make enough room for our gangplank.  It turned out that only a member of the park worker's union could take out those bolts and they were on break.  After more then 1 1/2 hours the two union workers showed-up and actually had to borrow a wrench from our ship to remove those bolts.

The following day when we cruised back down the river we reversed then entire process and a French helicopter had to fly out to our ship (once we were clear of the river) to winch the pilot off our deck.  I suspect this is one reason why very few cruise ships ever dock in Bordeaux.  What I find misleading is that a few cruise lines will show "Bordeaux" on the itinerary when the ship actually docks several hours distant from that city.

Hank

13 hours ago, edinburgher said:

I'm struggling to find that. Would you have a link, please?

I just googled    official port of Bordeaux website    and up it popped.

https://www.cruise-bordeaux.com/fr/

Harters and Azalize

As a plan B, you could consider e-mailing the port direct and ask where you ship will dock.  And that failing you could try e-mailing the Tourist Info Office as they should be able to find out.

Azalice, at the time we docked in the city (we had previously docked at Bassens on our first visit and had to take a ship shorex, rare for us) Azamara were doing the Azamazing Evenings and our event took place at the Palais de la Bourse in Place de la Bourse.  So close were we docked that no transportation was required, we all strolled along in just a few minutes.

Hank, we had a French pilot for the river passage, but not as eventful a passage as your own arrival.  It appeared to be pretty straightforward, at least as far as pax were aware.

5 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Harters and Azalize

As a plan B, you could consider e-mailing the port direct and ask where you ship will dock.  And that failing you could try e-mailing the Tourist Info Office as they should be able to find out.

Azalice, at the time we docked in the city (we had previously docked at Bassens on our first visit and had to take a ship shorex, rare for us) Azamara were doing the Azamazing Evenings and our event took place at the Palais de la Bourse in Place de la Bourse.  So close were we docked that no transportation was required, we all strolled along in just a few minutes.

Hank, we had a French pilot for the river passage, but not as eventful a passage as your own arrival.  It appeared to be pretty straightforward, at least as far as pax were aware.

The only weird thing about the river pilot was how he arrived/departed at sea.  I actually had the opportunity to talk to our ship's Captain (Halle Gundersen) about the pilot and he explained that it was actually easier and more efficient to sometimes fly those pilots out to the vessels.  We have never seen this before (or after) anywhere else in the world.   The helicopter that flew out our pilot was a civilian aircraft which I found intriguing.  At the time I wondered why they did not have some kind of Pilot Boat operation and Captain Gundersen said they told him using the helicopter was more efficient (this is difficult to believe).   I have since looked around the Internet and the Gironde River Pilots do certainly have some boats.   Perhaps one of the professional mariners who often post here on CC can add some more info to this thread.

The only other "weird" river passage we have experienced on a cruise ship was when we were on the old Marco Polo when she cruised all the way up the Saigon River and docked in downtown Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City to some).  That was even more exciting than the Gironde River passage since there was a lot of chaotic traffic in the Saigon River and our Captain later told the passengers dealing with that river and the pilot was a true challenge.

Another little factoid is that although not many cruise ships dock in Bordeaux, there is a local commercial operation on the river and one can see some relatively large commercial shipping docked in the river (I recall those ships were docked on the opposite side of the river from our position.  

Hank

On 5/26/2022 at 10:35 PM, edinburgher said:

and up it popped.

Thanks. It had popped up for me before I posted but I couldnt  find a docking schedule page. I've just looked again and still can't find one.

Unless someone can point me to it, i'll probably now wait and see where I wake up. If it's going to be near to the Place de la Bourse, then I can rejig our walk starting from there.

Edited by Harters

when we were on the old Marco Polo when she cruised all the way up the SaigonRiver and docked in downtown Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City to some).

Hank, what a coincidence that you mention the Marco Polo in this Bordeaux thread, as our first visit to Bordeaux was onboard Marco Polo.  Not sure what went wrong that day as we were supposed to be docking in town for an overnight  but only made it as far as Bassens before we had to stop.  As the Gironde is tidal, once the tide went out we were left with the ship tilted quite steeply to one side.  This made it difficult to walk or even stand, and in bed we were also tilted to one side which felt very odd. Second visit on Azamara Quest we made it all the way into town.

We racked up a number of Marco Polo itineraries as, despite some of the drawbacks of this “banana boat” shape,(including some noisy cabins due to poor soundproofing) she had interesting itineraries and we met well travelled, interesting and just really nice people  on each trip. And the crew were super efficient working extremely well as a team.

We  had a surprise in Rio  d J one time when  we were in line at the cruise terminal  to embark a HAL ship, MP was docked alongside and also embarking passengers.  We were actually in the HAL line carrying our dark blue MP/Orient Lines carry bags//hand luggage (the freebie that some passengers occasionally found in the cabin  on embarkation, well designed and really durable.)  next to folks boarding MP. We do still have bags these even now. They have travelled the world with us on multiple trips and are still in excellent condition.

We were actually onboard MP in October 07 on a special “reunion” cruise from Athens to Venice when word came through that MP had been sold.  Much dismay amongst loyal MP passengers, but genuine upset (and and even a few tears) from crew who felt their work colleagues were like "family". She was sold a few months later in 2008.

It was actually MP and her itineraries which gave us a taste for smaller ships and we mostly did that for a number of years. The old R 8’s were our favourite size and we went from MP to Swan Hellenic to Azamara even an R8 when it was with Princess and another when it was with PandO)and even Prinsendam  (not  an R8)  Huge advantages for getting into smaller ports and sailing smaller rivers (twice sailed right into the heart of Seville, once with Swan and once with Azamara)  Also like yourself, sailed upriver and docked in the heart of  Saigon/HMC for an overnight with Swan.  It was Chinese New Year that night so Saigon was jumping..

So many smaller ship advantages.  So many lovely memories, so thanks for reminding me.

Edited by edinburgher

We probably could have some fun just taking about the Marco Polo :).  We were only on two cruises with that ship and the first was in Asia during July 1995.  At the time the MP was part of Orient Cruise Lines and most of the passengers were from the UK.  Although the vessel left a few things to be desired it remains (to this day) one of our favorite cruises because of the fantastic Asian itinerary and the many friends (all from the UK) we made on voyage (some of those folks are still good friends, we have visited several in the UK and one couple has visited us here in the USA.  It was a few short years ago when we saw the MP docked near us in Bergen (she was part of the CMV Line) and that ship still looked the same.  DW reminded me that one of our favorite passengers was a "bloke" from Yorkshire.  We could not understand a word he said (one of the other Brits had to translate) but we sure had no problem toasting each other with Guinness:).  

Hank

As a plan B, you could consider e-mailing the port direct and ask where you ship will dock.  And that failing you could try e-mailing the Tourist Info Office as they should be able to find out.Harters and Azalize.

Thanks. It had popped up for me before I posted but I couldnt  find a docking schedule page. I've just looked again and still can't find one.

I speak some French so checked both the website english version and also the french version in case not all the french had been translated into english and  could not find either, so suggest you look at plan B

It is a very easy city to move around and one of the main transport hubs was alongside the park with theginormous fountain on the other side of the promenade.  There was at the time, also a little electric navette which tootled around the narrower streets in the old centre. Only held around a dozen or so passengers.  It was free of charge.  Only had to signal the driver to get on and again to get off.  Might still be there.

The Tourist Office website was worth dipping into.

Although the vessel left a few things to be desired  i also mentioned some of the disadvantages.

So the draw for yourself was the same as ours.more the other pax and the itineraries.  Our fellow pax were not usually predominantly Brits, but a mix of Aussies, Brits, Americans and also Germans.

Once Orient sold her we never sailed her again as the onboard experience of CMV didn't appeal to us at all.  As Orient had been a part of NCL (I think) they offered us an NCL loyaly tier to reflect or MP sailings.  We declined and have yet to set a foot on any NCL ship as these" big girls" are way out of our comfort zone.

We too kept in touch with a number of fellow pax for a good number of years, but some deaths and the demise of the line  meant that, more recently, several have dropped away..

UK accents are very varied indeed and several are more difficult to understand than others.  You "cheered" in Irish Guinness- not an Old Peculiar or a John Smith's?  One time onboard MP the Fosters ran out mid- cruise so you can imagine the reaction from the Aussies..........

Edited by edinburgher

6 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Although the vessel left a few things to be desired  i also mentioned some of the disadvantages.

So the draw for yourself was the same as ours.more the other pax and the itineraries.  Our fellow pax were not usually predominantly Brits, but a mix of Aussies, Brits, Americans and also Germans.

Once Orient sold her we never sailed her again as the onboard experience of CMV didn't appeal at all.  As Orient had been a part of NCL (I think) they offered us an NCL loyaly tier to reflect or MP sailings.  We declined and have yet to set a foot on any NCL ship as these" big girls" are way out of our comfort zone.

We too kept in touch with a number of fellow pax for a good number of years, but some deaths and the demise of the line  meant that, more recently, they have dropped away.. UK accents are very varied indeed and several are more difficult to understand than others.  You "cheered" in Irish Guinness- not an Old Peculiar or a John Smith's?  One time onboard MP the Fosters ran out so you can imagine the reaction from the Aussies..........

I feel like there is a missing niche now with lines/ships like the above gone.

I cruised for many years happily on the 350 passenger (former ferry!) Aegean Odyssey to some wonderful places -- including Syria!

I recall that long ride up the river to Ho Chi Minh city, being able to actually dock IN Bangkok instead of 2 hours away, and in Seville as well. 

I feel like there is a missing niche now with lines/ships like the above gone.

Absolutely agree cruisemom 2.  We are both very happy that most of our cruising times (and indeed travelling in general) are behind us, and the more we see of the "world's biggest/ mega/ supersize ships the more we are thankful we are nearer the end than the start.  Although we ourselves enjoyed many aspects of cruising which new- to- cruising folks would likely not understand, we cannout understand the supposed  "allure" of carnival rides, indoor gardens and many other "innovative" inclusions which to our minds have nothing to do with "cruising". On the other hand, many "new-to-cruising" folks are attracted by these so the cruise lines are only meeting demand.  We are of the opinion that these maga floating resorts could actually stay tied up at the embarkation port and not bother cruising to new places at all as there is enough onboard to keep most folks happy for days on end, and as  there are fewer ports able to accommodate them anyway, their itineraries are more restricted.

Much as we would welcome more "niche" options, sadly it appears that it is the "niche" lines which struggle to survive.

• Like 2

Thanks again, edinburgher. I also have some French so had another look  and have found the relevent page - https://www.bordeaux-port.fr/fr/navires-quais-attendus .

Unfortunately, it doesnt seem to detail exactly where ships dock, so I've adopted your Plan B and have sent an email, in my best French, to the port office. I also now have a Plan C. I spotted that our ship, Sirena, is actually in Bordeaux tomorrow so I'll have a nosey at Cruisemapper and see where the GPS has the ship.

I found that too Harters, but also failed to find a schedule.

Your chances are high as Sirena is one of the original R8's so size-wise could navigate the river and make it into town.

have sent an email, in my best French, to the port office

Google translate could be your new best friend.😀

Edited by edinburgher

14 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

I found that too Harters, but also failed to find a schedule.

Your chances are high as Sirena is one of the original R8's so size-wise could navigate the river and make it into town.

have sent an email, in my best French, to the port office

Google translate could be your new best friend.😀

No question that the ship would meet the size requirements to move up the river.  But we are talking Azamara, which is supposed to be a premium cruise line and one cannot help but wonder why you cannot simply get the port information from the cruise line :).   As to Bordeaux, I just noticed that the Europa is currently docked along side that same park where we docked with the Prinsendam.  So that location is still in use.

Hank

wonder why you cannot simply get the port information from the cruise line 🙂

Hank, if you think docking info should be supplied, try sailing Fred Olsen as they don't even give you port arrival or departure times,  instead they print things like the following examples

early morning arrival, early afternoon departure

or late morning arrival, late afternoon departure.

Trying to pre- plan a day in port involves first  having to look up the actual official port websites (or other sources) to see if the Fred ship arrival and deparure timings are listed there (they usually are)

It is infuriating.

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

wonder why you cannot simply get the port information from the cruise line 🙂

Hank, if you think docking info should be supplied, try sailing Fred Olsen as they don't even give you port arrival or departure times,  instead they print things like the following examples

early morning arrival, early afternoon departure

or late morning arrival, late afternoon departure.

Trying to pre- plan a day in port involves first  having to look up the actual official port websites (or other sources) to see if the Fred ship arrival and deparure timings are listed there (they usually are)

It is infuriating.

I will admit to never having cruised on Fred Olsen although I assume I would be able to get my fill of Bangers and Mash as well as that black mud known as Guinness ).

A few years ago I tossed out the idea that the CLIA member cruise lines (which is just about all the cruise lines) should adopt a "Passenger Bill of Rights" setting forth some basic rights for the customers.  The current cruise contracts essentially give the cruise line's the right to do anything they please with the paying customers having no more rights than sheep in the flock.  One of those "rights" should be advance knowledge of actual ports (not simply the name of another place that may be more than an hour from the port) and assumed docking position (if known).

Hank

• Like 1

Edinburgher - your Plan B worked, as did my Plans C & D (the latter being the cruise line). Both the harbourmaster and the cruise line confirm Sirena will be smack bang in the centre, adjacent to the Place des Quinconces. Cruisemapper shows Sirena on that berth today.

Many thanks again for your tips. May all be academic as I've tested positive for Covid this morning and Oceania have a "no negative test result, no boarding" policy.

Edited by Harters

Congratulations harters.  Best position! Lucky lucky you.  It does make an enourmous difference, just as long as you are onboard.

Such bad luck for the dreaded C.  If it is the milder form of Omicron which only seems to affect most people for a week or so. (and some we have heard of test negative after 5 or 6 days), you might be OK to board.

What is your sail date? You didn't say.

And you may not need to walk all around the city as there is a very good metro system and see my last paragraph in post #13

Edited by edinburgher

14 hours ago, edinburgher said:

What is your sail date?

This Friday - and Oceania requires a negative test before allowing boarding. In truth, I feel like crap and don't really feel up to cruisng, so I'm sort of hoping I continue with a positive test, so we can cancel and make an insurance claim.

Difficult one for sure as  this Friday is quite close..  On the other hand, if you test negative and board, some time relaxing, resting and  being pampered and waited on (and not having to cook, which is the big one) might be exactly what you need.

Hoping you get whichever option you hope for.