Private excursion vs celebrity excursion

Taclin01

1 hour ago, TFree said:

Hi @cangelmd: sounds like you were on Jonathan’s Giants Causeway tour with us. We were among the maskers. Wish we had met you. 

I cannot say that I was really surprised by this morning’s announcement by the captain. I think it was about day 11 of the transatlantic cruise when we got the same announcement.

I think maybe the cruise lines are coming to different conclusions about how to move forward. Unless it has changed recently, I understand that Viking (at least for river cruises) is testing people every day. Next week we will be on a Uniworld river cruise, and to the best of my understanding, they are requiring proof of vaccination, but not any testing, presumably on the theory that the countries they will be traveling in do not require it, so why should they?

Celebrity‘s approach, I am beginning to think, is somewhat akin to “don’t ask, don’t tell.“ They require you to show a negative test to get on board, (maybe they are required to do so because they are selling large ships, I don’t know). But after that,  they are not requiring B2B testing. They are not saying much, if anything, about Covid case count, until a threshold is reached. If you buy or get a voucher for a test kit from Celebrity, they will not deliver it to you until after you are in the terminal getting your baggage.  So they really don’t seem anxious to find out about cases on board. This is one way to move toward normalization of the necessity of living with the virus. There is lots of room for argument as to whether this is the best approach. 

Tom & Judy

Yes, it was Jonathan’s trip. I really appreciate him organizing it - that was a lot of work. We were also maskers, thank you I want to get home to the states, my son, DIL, two babies and 2 dogs are moving I with us next week! I was the person with the bright red hair and bright green jacket.

Testing prevents a few Covid cases. Masking probably prevents more, if it was enforced and sensible. The part that is nonsensical to me is testing to get back into the US

8 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Yes, it was Jonathan’s trip. I really appreciate him organizing it - that was a lot of work. We were also maskers, thank you I want to get home to the states, my son, DIL, two babies and 2 dogs are moving I with us next week! I was the person with the bright red hair and bright green jacket.

Testing prevents a few Covid cases. Masking probably prevents more, if it was enforced and sensible. The part that is nonsensical to me is testing to get back into the US

Interestingly, someone on our roll call reports that they were doing B2B testing in Normandie this morning. Which is weird, if true. Because they did not do so last cruise, despite there being 3% cases on that cruise, with the B2B cruise leaving from Amsterdam. Just like this cruise, 3% cases, next cruise leaving from Amsterdam. 

Tom & Judy

2 hours ago, TFree said:

Interestingly, someone on our roll call reports that they were doing B2B testing in Normandie this morning. Which is weird, if true. Because they did not do so last cruise, despite there being 3% cases on that cruise, with the B2B cruise leaving from Amsterdam. Just like this cruise, 3% cases, next cruise leaving from Amsterdam. 

Tom & Judy

Might be because of where the next cruise is going?