Please Review Itinerary & Provide Suggestions

taylortime05

A few thoughts:

I have not heard of Dillá, but the reviews seem good. I have recently heard good things about a different restaurant not too far from your hotel called Sofia -- might check them out also? 

It is remiss of me not to have mentioned a few sights nearer to your hotel that you might want to explore if you have a spare hour here or there. 

-- The Keats-Shelley museum is right next to the Spanish steps and is a small but interesting "slice of life" from the time that these two poets spent in Rome. I was lucky enough to visit it with one of the benefactors (who I met on a cruise!) and enjoyed it very much. It doesn't take much time if you're already planning to have a look at the Spanish steps at some point.   https://spanishstepsapartment.wordpress.com/2015/05/25/the-keats-shelley-house-at-the-spanish-steps/

-- When we talked about famous coffee houses of Rome, I mentioned the two near the Pantheon, but there is a third one, equally famous, at the foot of the Spanish steps called the Antico Caffe Greco. It has a more elegant feeling than the other two.

-- The Ara Pacis museum is about a 10-minute walk from your hotel toward the Tiber river. It is a small modern museum housing a single but truly fantastic monument of ancient Rome, the Ara Pacis ("Altar of Peace") constructed by Emperor Augustus to celebrate and initiate the long period of peace that later became known as the "Pax Romana".  The altar is the size of a small building, made of marble, with absolutely gorgeous relief sculptures all around the outside and inside. I'd probably place it 2nd in terms of my favorite monuments of Rome (right after the Pantheon). Can easily be seen in 45 minutes or so.   https://ara-pacis-museum.com/

-- Finally, one other "fun" place to walk by and get photos of is the Palazetto Zuccari, aka the "monster house". The door and window frames are designed to look like monster/gargoyle type faces. It's not far from your hotel.   https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/zuccari-palace

To guard against pickpockets in Rome: depends on what I'm doing. If I'm going to be in and out of public transportation and at very crowded sites, I use one of those belt-loop inside pockets, except rather than wear it from a belt I just pin it inside my waist-band.    https://www.eaglecreek.com/products/undercover-hidden-pocket

It is pretty much pickpocket-proof but you're limited as to what you can carry in it.  If I'm not quite so likely to meet up with pickpockets I will carry a cross-body bag that zips at top. Inside are two additional zipped interior pockets into which I put my small wallet (1) and phone (2).  (I do not carry my passport around in Rome but leave it in the hotel along with an extra credit card.)  The wallet will still be inside the "secret pocket" I mention above, and that pocket is pinned INSIDE the purse pocket.  I wear the bag crossbody but slightly toward the front and I tend to keep my hand on the top of it (covering the zipper) when in crowds.

Regarding water -- if you have your own bottle you can refill it from Rome's public drinking fountains, called "nasone" ("the big nose") scattered around Rome. The water is safe to drink and tastes good.

image.png.84fa53186d6010092a21ff61342b2f50.png

Edited by cruisemom42

@cruisemom42, thank you so much for all the great suggestions and the details of each site.   I’m adding all this info on my sheet.   

I was able to get tickets from Coop Culture for the Colosseum underground tour on our 2nd day.  I wasted so much time refreshing the Coop Culture screen for this excursion.   I hope it’s worth it.  The tour is 1 hour 15 minutes from 10:30 PM - 11:45 PM so it's very late.   It makes the 2nd day very busy with tours.   The good thing is  we will be adjusted to the time difference because our Rome visit is post cruise.  

I think I should find a restaurant closer to the Colosseum than Negresco Pizza e Cucina.  Also, if we eat a heavy meal at Ristorante Arlu then we’ll probably want a lighter meal before the evening tour.  Do you know of any good restaurants near the Colosseum?  Also, will it be easy to get a taxi or uber when we finish the tour near midnight?  I definitely do not want to try to walk the 1.4 miles back to the hotel at that time of night.  

image.thumb.png.438f95110731acc1dd6eaa5dba3b74aa.png

Edited by taylortime05

2 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Do you know of any good restaurants near the Colosseum?  Also, will it be easy to get a taxi or uber when we finish the tour near midnight?

I can recommend La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali for a restaurant close to the Colosseum/Forum area. Very good traditional place and very popular (I'd definitely recommend reservations).

For taxis, I'm not 100% sure there are a lot of taxis at the Colosseum metro station that late at night, but it is a place where taxis wait during the day. There is an app called FreeNow that I used last year in Europe (Germany, France) that will summon a taxi similar to what Uber does in the US.  I didn't use it yet in Rome but I plan to. It might be worth having it on your phone.

If all else fails there is a large and busy taxi stand on the east side of Piazza Venezia, which is only a few minutes' walk from the Colosseum. The green square on the map is about where the taxi stand is located; the arrow points toward where the Colosseum is (not shown but about a 10-minute walk at most...)

image.thumb.png.e27522b167cdfca2647fe8417e8c4741.png 

• Thanks 1

IIRC there is a good pizzeria almost across the street from La Taverna dei Fori.  I think it is called Pizzeria della Madonna.

But it is hard to get a bad meal in Rome. You might just want look at the menus of the restaurants you pass on your way to the Colosseum and pick one that appeals to you. 

1 hour ago, marazul said:

IIRC there is a good pizzeria almost across the street from La Taverna dei Fori.  I think it is called Pizzeria della Madonna.

But it is hard to get a bad meal in Rome. You might just want look at the menus of the restaurants you pass on your way to the Colosseum and pick one that appeals to you. 

Thank you!  There are so many choices. 

Have you eaten at Naumachia or Trattoria Pizzeria Luzzi?   They were recommended by the Roman Guy and Rick Steves.  

Wow, I was surprised at the costs for arranging transportation.  Do recommend pre arranging transportation?  Are these reasonable rates?   Everything has went up since Covid.  Thank you.  

Daniele Your Driver in Rome

140 Euros Port to Hotel

80 Euros Hotel to Airport  

Rob Cab Transfer    

125 Euros Port to Hotel

60 Euros Hotel to Airport  

1 hour ago, taylortime05 said:

Wow, I was surprised at the costs for arranging transportation.  Do recommend pre arranging transportation?  Are these reasonable rates?   Everything has went up since Covid.  Thank you.  

Daniele Your Driver in Rome

140 Euros Port to Hotel

80 Euros Hotel to Airport  

Rob Cab Transfer    

125 Euros Port to Hotel

60 Euros Hotel to Airport  

I have also seen that prices have increased in the last year, but there is still variability, as you're seeing.

Some less expensive alternatives (at least when I checked earlier) are romashuttle.com and sharedshuttle.it (both of which I've used in the past). With the latter, the shared option is less expensive from the port.

You could just ask your hotel to arrange a taxi for you to the airport; taxis have a fixed rate to/from FCO into central Rome, which is now 50 euro, per the schedule below. (For years it was 48 euro, so it too has increased):

https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en/pax-fco-taxi?p_p_id=it_txt_adr_cookiepolicy_web_portlet_AdrCookiePolicyBannerPortlet&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Have you eaten at Naumachia or Trattoria Pizzeria Luzzi?   They were recommended by the Roman Guy and Rick Steves.  

There are thousands of restaurants in Rome.  You are trying restaurants on somebody's "lists" all through your stay.  All are good, but you can probably find at least 2 or 3 other restaurants just as good on the same block, especially in less touristy areas.  As I said before, it is hard to get a bad meal in Rome.

You are looking for a place to eat on a day where you have had a big lunch and where you have a short amount of time to eat before your tour. You are not looking for a life-altering gourmet experience, but for a quick, tasty meal like the locals have. This is the time to be spontaneous and trust your own restaurant picking skills.  Look at the menus posted on the sidewalk; look at the people eating there; look at the food if there are sidewalk tables.  And then, pick one that appeals to you.  You never know, you may be writing reviews for the next "go to" restaurant on CC.

We pick restaurants like that when we are traveling and we have had great meals and, at least, satisfying, good meals.  Try it; you'll like it.  😉

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Some less expensive alternatives (at least when I checked earlier) are romashuttle.com and sharedshuttle.it (both of which I've used in the past). With the latter, the shared option is less expensive from the port.

Thank you!  I put in a request with sharedshuttle.it.   It was 80 Euros for the 2 of us from the port to the hotel.  

You are looking for a place to eat on a day where you have had a big lunch and where you have a short amount of time to eat before your tour. You are not looking for a life-altering gourmet experience, but for a quick, tasty meal like the locals have. 

We pick restaurants like that when we are traveling and we have had great meals and, at least, satisfying, good meals.  Try it; you'll like it.  😉

You're right that I might be planning too much and need to be more spontaneous, lol.    😉

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

I didn’t realize that I needed tickets for the pantheon.  Do you think it’s worth getting a guided tour or just use the audio from Rick Steve?   Should I buy the tickets now instead of waiting until we get there?  

Thank you!

The ticketing system for the Pantheon is relatively new, as you can gather from the above. When I was in Rome late last October, they had a reservations system in place although as yet no charge for entering. At certain times of the day (particularly midday) there seemed to be a line, even in late October, but truthfully I couldn't tell you if it was caused by or helped by the reservations requirement, as I've never, ever seen lines at that time of year before.

Here's a website with the best directions I've read for getting your basic ticket/reservation:  https://mamalovesrome.com/visiting-the-pantheon-rome/

Personally, I don't think a guided tour is necessary as long as you have some frame of reference -- RS is fine or a guidebook description. The key points for me include:

-- This is one of the best preserved buildings from ancient Rome that has survived anywhere. Take the time to look at the outside (walk completely around it), as well as the inside.

-- The dome is a marvel. No dome with a larger span was successfully built until the 20th century. It is created from Roman concrete and its walls become increasingly thinner and lighter as it reached the top in order to reduce the weight.

-- While the dome gets most of the attention, don't forget to notice the huge, bronze door (from antiquity although maybe not originally belonging to the Pantheon), the huge Egyptian granite columns of the porch, and all the rare imported stone used to decorate the walls and even the floor.

-- Look at the building from across the piazza as well. Notice how the point where the porch is connected to the round "drum" part of the building looks a bit odd. The roof should have been (was planned to be) taller. No one is quite sure what happened. An error in planning? Columns of the right size couldn't be obtained?)

-- The building survived because it was turned into a church. Much later it became a popular burial spot for the famous and powerful, including the painter Raphael -- look for his tomb.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The ticketing system for the Pantheon is relatively new, as you can gather from the above. When I was in Rome late last October, they had a reservations system in place although as yet no charge for entering. At certain times of the day (particularly midday) there seemed to be a line, even in late October, but truthfully I couldn't tell you if it was caused by or helped by the reservations requirement, as I've never, ever seen lines at that time of year before.

Here's a website with the best directions I've read for getting your basic ticket/reservation:  https://mamalovesrome.com/visiting-the-pantheon-rome/

Thank you so much!  The article was very helpful.  Since we’re having lunch on our 1st day at Armando Al Pantheon I’m going to try to get tickets about 3:30 PM.  It’s nice that our Rome visit is after our cruise so we will be adjusted to the time difference and should have little risk of arriving late.  I’m so excited for our trip.  I hope all the walking offsets all the good food we’re going to eat.  

On a different subject, have you used the apple AirTags for your luggage?   We haven’t used them before but I’m considering getting them for this trip.   

8 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

On a different subject, have you used the apple AirTags for your luggage?   We haven’t used them before but I’m considering getting them for this trip.  

Yes, after losing my suitcase during a return from Europe (for two weeks, I might add...!) last summer, I got an AirTag for my suitcase and use it now.  I'd recommend it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, after losing my suitcase during a return from Europe (for two weeks, I might add...!) last summer, I got an AirTag for my suitcase and use it now.  I'd recommend it.

Thank you!  I’ll definitely order a set for our luggage. 

I’ve read different views on tipping in Italy for restaurants and tours.  Is it customary to tip 18%-20% for good service similar to US?   

I’ve read different views on tipping in Italy for restaurants and tours.  Is it customary to tip 18%-20% for good service similar to US?   

No!

Tipping in Italy is very different to the US, despite what some US travelers (and US-focused businesses) will try to insist. There used to be a sticky about this, but at some point I think it got "unpinned".

Over the years I've spoken to a lot of Italians still living in Italy as well as Italians living or working in the US (and also US expats in Italy).  Tipping 18-20% is unheard of. For restaurants and taxis, the most you should do is round up slightly. For example, if a meal costs 68 euro, round up to 70 if you feel you received very good service. Unlike the US there is no "imperative" to tip -- it's not part of their wages, they receive a living wage. So if service was just okay, and especially if it was sub-par, you do not need to tip at all.  With a taxi, if a fare is 9.40, for example, give them 10.

Tour guides are professionals. A real tour guide (not a driver) is university educated and goes through intensive training and a qualification exam. They charge a fair rate and do not "expect" a tip. If they have really been amazing, and if I am paying at the end of the tour, I might give a slight bit extra. But an expression of your pleasure with the tour -- and especially a positive review -- are probably much more appreciated.

At hotels, I tip a porter for carrying my luggage to my room, if that happens. I leave a small tip for the maid daily -- this seems to be something most Europeans do. I wouldn't tip the concierge for doing his normal job (e.g., providing a restaurant recommendation or reservation on the spot), but if s/he went to great pains to be of assistance, say, in obtaining tickets to specific places and events before my arrival, or arranging a special tour, I'd tip something at the end of my stay.

Of course you will run into tour companies that focus on American travelers. They may provide or mention "recommended tipping guidelines" etc. They are playing on Americans' fears of being thought cheap or unappreciative if they don't tip. Frequently on these boards I'll read posts from people saying, "Well, they didn't turn my money down, so tipping MUST be appreciated!"  On the other hand, Italians will tell you that they hate how Americans come in and tip for everything, because over time it raises expectations that everyone should tip equally, even though it isn't part of their culture to do so.

My philosophy is to try to travel in ways that don't disrupt the local culture. It can feel a little uncomfortable to start with. And keep in mind that I'm primarily talking about Italy here, as it's where I feel sure that I have really taken time to understood the "view on the ground" as it were. I'm pretty sure no other European country calls for tipping a la americaine, but each one does have its own quirks...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

No!

Tipping in Italy is very different to the US, despite what some US travelers (and US-focused businesses) will try to insist. There used to be a sticky about this, but at some point I think it got "unpinned". 

Of course you will run into tour companies that focus on American travelers. They may provide or mention "recommended tipping guidelines" etc. They are playing on Americans' fears of being thought cheap or unappreciative if they don't tip.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

My philosophy is to try to travel in ways that don't disrupt the local culture. It can feel a little uncomfortable to start with. And keep in mind that I'm primarily talking about Italy here, as it's where I feel sure that I have really taken time to understood the "view on the ground" as it were. I'm pretty sure no other European country calls for tipping a la americaine, but each one does have its own quirks...

Well said!

That is one of my objections to a frequently mentioned tour company that has "tipping guidelines" for their US customers.  

In our experience, the same applies in France, Spain and Greece. 

• Like 2

Do you take your laptop when you travel to Europe?  I usually take my laptop on my cruises.  However, I think I’ll leave it home for this trip.  I can use my phone to access the internet even though it’s not as convenient.  We have AT&T and the international pkg is $10 per day and there is a max for the month but we will cross over Sept & Oct.  I’m pretty sure it’s  unlimited data, talk and text.  I need to call and confirm.  

28 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Do you take your laptop when you travel to Europe?  I usually take my laptop on my cruises.  However, I think I’ll leave it home for this trip.  I can use my phone to access the internet even though it’s not as convenient.  We have AT&T and the international pkg is $10 per day and there is a max for the month but we will cross over Sept & Oct.  I’m pretty sure it’s  unlimited data, talk and text.  I need to call and confirm.  

When I was working, I always took a laptop "just in case" something came up that required me to do more than I can on a phone. I also used it a bit if I had time to do some managing of my daily photos, but that was when I was still using my camera for most of them. Now I mostly shoot on my iPhone, which has a very good camera, unless I know I'll be taking photos of thing(s) that are of extreme interest to me and require things like good low-light images or better zoom than I can get on my phone.

Now that I'm (newly) retired, I have only taken my phone on my last two cruises and it's been fine. Still take my camera, though. 😆

(I had AT&T coverage in the past and it worked great in Europe. The included data on their daily plan is fine for most light users. When I took my 20-something son with me on a trip to Venice and Florence, it was a different story... 🙄)

Edited by cruisemom42

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

Now that I'm (newly) retired, I have only taken my phone on my last two cruises and it's been fine. Still take my camera, though. 😆

Congratulations on your retirement!   I’ve been retired 2 years this past July.  When I retired I thought I’d  like to work part time from home.  But so far I’ve been too busy with the grand babies.  

I need to call AT&T to see how much data is included with their daily plan and how much if we go over.   I think my biggest usage of the data would be for using Mapquest.  

4 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

We take a tablet each with downloaded books to read on the plane and the beach. They are wi-fi only so we don't have to worry about data plans for an extra device.  I have been relying more and more on my phone for pictures, but still bring a camera.  We have T-Mobile which requires no extra "travel packages" and gets unlimited texts and data while traveling.

• Like 1

We leave next Tuesday and I’ve had my grand babies all day yesterday and today.  I’ll finish packing tomorrow.    

I have one more question about restaurants.  I was able to get an 8:00 PM reservation on Tues, Oct 10th at the Oro Bistrot Rooftop for Cocktails and Aperitif prior to our evening tour of the bottom floor of the Colosseum.  It looks like a great place for photos of the Colosseum.  But the prices look super expensive, 25 Euro for a cocktail.  Do you think it’s worth the cost?  

image.thumb.png.7a4dbe4c31299be366fb644f7f32a1c3.png

I have one more question about restaurants.  I was able to get an 8:00 PM reservation on Tues, Oct 10th at the Oro Bistrot Rooftop for Cocktails and Aperitif prior to our evening tour of the bottom floor of the Colosseum.  It looks like a great place for photos of the Colosseum.  But the prices look super expensive, 25 Euro for a cocktail.  Do you think it’s worth the cost?

I don't know it, but I looked at the pictures and have a good idea of the location. Of course you're paying for the view, which is primarily over Piazza Venezia and including the Victor Emmanuel monument (also known affectionately in Rome as "the typewriter" and "the wedding cake"). It would certainly provide you with some pictures and memories.

Somewhat more old-school but similar, you could try the Hotel Forum rooftop bar. It is a bit farther south, closer to the Colosseum and Forum -- which is why I like the view better -- but it's been a few years since I was there and I don't know how much "aperitif" you can count on. It's a wonderful place to watch the sunset and if you're lucky get a birds eye view of the swirling clouds of starlings that come out at that time of day.

Edited to add: Safe travels. Please come back and let us know how it all went. I leave next Saturday for Venice. 😃

Edited by cruisemom42