Please Review Itinerary & Provide Suggestions

taylortime05

18 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi @cruisemom42 and @euro cruiser

Thank you so much for the feedback.   I have few more questions so this post may get too long.  I’ll  just split this into 3 posts.  This is 1 of 3 posts.  

I went back to a couple of of my Facebook groups to ask for feedback on Liv Tours.  There were quite a few people that responded that they took multiple tours with them and they were great. They also have great reviews on Trip Advisor.   I hope I have the same experience.  I really liked that their tours are limited to 6 people.  

I will definitely add the Pantheon to one of our free time blocks.  I actually want to go back and look at those free time blocks and put more ideas on what we could visit.  I’ll mark the ideas as either must see’s vs nice to see.  

This is the overview of the Jewish Ghetto Tour.  Does it sound nice?  It does include the artichokes 🙂

image.thumb.png.b1abc51204fa237ae6fbfa6cc4fc4ae6.png

This is the overview of the Twilight Trastevere food tour.  Do you think it sounds nice? 

image.thumb.png.1faf56a8bc7bf14913875c9af23ee88c.png

Thank you.  

The foodie tours sound nice as regards the food -- good that you will get to try the artichokes for sure (the "alla giudea" are the fried ones, I much prefer them to the "alla romana" version which is doused in olive oil".

However, will you actually SEE much of the areas being toured? For example, does the Trastevere tour go into the two fantastic churches in Trastevere (Santa Maria in Trastevere and Sant Cecilia in Trastevere)?  They are beautiful -- lots of history, old mosaics, and in the case of St. Cecilia, underground areas including a Roman-era house and a 3rd or 4th c. baptistery with mosaics that can be visited).

Or does the Jewish Ghetto tour get you inside the Synagogue, or does it take you up close to see the Portico of Octavia (dating from the time of Augustus and dedicated to his sister)?

This is why I don't like to mix touring with eating!  But maybe they are included -- it's just unclear from the snips you've provided.

18 hours ago, taylortime05 said:
  • Osteria da Fortunata
  • Osteria delle Coppelle
  • ,Osteria del Sostegno
  • Da Francesco (little further) 
  • Nino
  • Due Ladroni
  • Da Pietro
  • La Campana
  • La Rosetta
  • Ad Hoc
  • FREZZA- CUCINA DE COCCIO
  • Ginger

Ristorante Nino is a very traditional place and about a 2 minute walk from d'Inghilterra, assuming you stay there. (I see no reason you shouldn't, it's not QUITE as central but assuming you're relatively fit, the walk isn't that much more....).  I haven't eaten there in eons but it is certainly a good, close, dependable option with lots of longevity.

There is a Ristorante Fortunato close to the Pantheon. There is also an Osteria da Fortunato that is closer to the Campo dei Fiori area, even further from d'Inghilterra. Just be sure to avoid confusion between them. (By the way, remember that in Italy a "ristorante" is usually a bit more $$$ and formal -- in terms of menu not dress -- than an "osteria".)

If you're going to come to the Pantheon area for dinner, I'd probably put Armando al Pantheon at #1 and skip this one.

Osteria delle Coppelle, Osteria del Sostegno and the similar Maccheroni (another I'd recommend) are all serviceable, friendly places to eat but all are still closer to the Pantheon area than your hotel.  (Can you see why I like this area so much? 😁).  Same with Trattoria La Rosetta, which has good seafood -- although Rome is not necessarily known for seafood, despite not being far from the sea.

Due Ladroni has a more Neapolitan menu; it's about a 7-minute walk from d'Inghilterra almost due west to the Tiber. I haven't been there but it's well known.

There are several Da or Di Francescos and the same with Pietros -- would need to know which one was referred.

I don't know anything about the last three on your list. I see Ginger is close by the d'Inghilterra, it looks more like a lunch place or possibly an option if you want a light dinner near your hotel after your food tours (assuming you're not stuffed!). 

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

However, will you actually SEE much of the areas being toured? For example, does the Trastevere tour go into the two fantastic churches in Trastevere (Santa Maria in Trastevere and Sant Cecilia in Trastevere)?  They are beautiful -- lots of history, old mosaics, and in the case of St. Cecilia, underground areas including a Roman-era house and a 3rd or 4th c. baptistery with mosaics that can be visited).

Or does the Jewish Ghetto tour get you inside the Synagogue, or does it take you up close to see the Portico of Octavia (dating from the time of Augustus and dedicated to his sister)?

I see your point.  I was looking at our Tuesday plans when we have the Jewish Ghetto food tour.  Do you think it would be a good idea to cancel the lunch at Ristorante Arlù.  Then we could spend some time exploring Castel Sant' Angelodo and anything else near St. Peter’s.   Then we could find a place for a light lunch near St. Peter’s or near the Jewish Quarters.   Then we could explore Jewish Quarters and go inside the Synagogue and see the Portico of Octavia  before the food tour.    I do not think the food tour will take the time to go in churches or the Synagogue.  

Then on Wednesday we could take the same approach.  We could explore the areas around the Colosseum and then move to explore the areas around Trastevere prior to our food tour.  

Do you think these are good options?  It just will not allow for down time at the hotel.  But it would allow for times to stop for a coffee or a gelato and just enjoy the scenery.    

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Ristorante Nino is a very traditional place and about a 2 minute walk from d'Inghilterra, assuming you stay there. (I see no reason you shouldn't, it's not QUITE as central but assuming you're relatively fit, the walk isn't that much more....).  I haven't eaten there in eons but it is certainly a good, close, dependable option with lots of longevity.

There is a Ristorante Fortunato close to the Pantheon. There is also an Osteria da Fortunato that is closer to the Campo dei Fiori area, even further from d'Inghilterra. Just be sure to avoid confusion between them. (By the way, remember that in Italy a "ristorante" is usually a bit more $$$ and formal -- in terms of menu not dress -- than an "osteria".)

If you're going to come to the Pantheon area for dinner, I'd probably put Armando al Pantheon at #1 and skip this one.

Osteria delle Coppelle, Osteria del Sostegno and the similar Maccheroni (another I'd recommend) are all serviceable, friendly places to eat but all are still closer to the Pantheon area than your hotel.  (Can you see why I like this area so much? 😁).  Same with Trattoria La Rosetta, which has good seafood -- although Rome is not necessarily known for seafood, despite not being far from the sea.

Due Ladroni has a more Neapolitan menu; it's about a 7-minute walk from d'Inghilterra almost due west to the Tiber. I haven't been there but it's well known.

There are several Da or Di Francescos and the same with Pietros -- would need to know which one was referred.

I don't know anything about the last three on your list. I see Ginger is close by the d'Inghilterra, it looks more like a lunch place or possibly an option if you want a light dinner near your hotel after your food tours (assuming you're not stuffed!). 

Thank you for the suggestions.  I’ll look at the menus and prices.   Thank you for the tip on difference between “ristorante” and "osteria”.    I don’t mind going to 1 or 2 more expensive “ristorantes” if the food and atmosphere is worth it.   But overall I prefer to go to restaurants that are reasonably priced, have yummy authentic food and have more locals than tourists.

Thank you for all your tips. 

11 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

I see your point.  I was looking at our Tuesday plans when we have the Jewish Ghetto food tour.  Do you think it would be a good idea to cancel the lunch at Ristorante Arlù.  Then we could spend some time exploring Castel Sant' Angelodo and anything else near St. Peter’s.   Then we could find a place for a light lunch near St. Peter’s or near the Jewish Quarters.   Then we could explore Jewish Quarters and go inside the Synagogue and see the Portico of Octavia  before the food tour.    I do not think the food tour will take the time to go in churches or the Synagogue.  

Then on Wednesday we could take the same approach.  We could explore the areas around the Colosseum and then move to explore the areas around Trastevere prior to our food tour.  

Do you think these are good options?  It just will not allow for down time at the hotel.  But it would allow for times to stop for a coffee or a gelato and just enjoy the scenery.    

I think it's a good idea -- play with the timings and see what you can fit in. Luckily you'll be there in October so the heat won't be much of an issue (saps your energy in summer).  

Just fyi, I am heading to Iceland Thursday for a cruise visiting Iceland, Greenland and bits of northeastern Canada so I may not be terribly available after tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just fyi, I am heading to Iceland Thursday for a cruise visiting Iceland, Greenland and bits of northeastern Canada so I may not be terribly available after tomorrow.

This sounds so exciting!  Iceland and Greenland are on my bucket list.  Which cruise ship are you sailing on?  Please let me know if you do any trip reports.  I’d love to read and dream.   I hope you have a super time.   

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

This sounds so exciting!  Iceland and Greenland are on my bucket list.  Which cruise ship are you sailing on?  Please let me know if you do any trip reports.  I’d love to read and dream.   I hope you have a super time.   

I'll be on Oceania Insignia. It's a great itinerary. I've been looking for the "right" mix of ports for years...

I probably won't do any reports from the ship, I don't expect internet coverage to be great, tbh. Maybe I'll post a review and some photos once I'm back.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 10:11 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I'll be on Oceania Insignia. It's a great itinerary. I've been looking for the "right" mix of ports for years...

I probably won't do any reports from the ship, I don't expect internet coverage to be great, tbh. Maybe I'll post a review and some photos once I'm back.

Hi Cruisemom42,

How was your cruise?   I hope you had a wonderful time.   

Thanks

Sue

4 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi Cruisemom42,

How was your cruise?   I hope you had a wonderful time.   

Thanks

Sue

The cruise was fabulous. We were lucky to get into 3 of our 4 ports in Greenland (weather conditions there are always iffy) and all of our other ports in Iceland and Newfoundland, despite some rough seas. 

I posted a review of my trip on the Oceania board; it is more about Oceania than the ports themselves, but there is some info and pictures, if you're interested:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

The cruise was fabulous. We were lucky to get into 3 of our 4 ports in Greenland (weather conditions there are always iffy) and all of our other ports in Iceland and Newfoundland, despite some rough seas. 

I posted a review of my trip on the Oceania board; it is more about Oceania than the ports themselves, but there is some info and pictures, if you're interested:

Thank you!  I would love to read it.   We’ve taken so many Caribbean cruises that we’ve decided that we may take 1 Caribbean cruise a year just to relax and escape the cold winter in Michigan.   We’ve cruised mostly with Celebrity and a few with Royal and NCL.  Going forward we’re trying to pick cruises with more interesting itineraries and also try out different cruise lines.  There is so much to see in the world.  

We just got back from a Caribbean cruise.  I’m back to trying to finalize my Rome itinerary.   Do you think I should post my questions in this thread or start a new one?    I think I’m going to cancel the Jewish food tour and possibly the Walks Crypts, Bones & Catacombs: An Underground Tour of Rome.  

I’m still working on our itinerary for next month.  We’ve been so busy this summer with our grand babies that I’m just getting back to it.  And we have a new grand daughter arriving any time.

I really appreciate all the great feedback I’ve gotten.   Below is our current itinerary but I’m still flexible on moving things around.   I didn’t want to make this post too long so I’ll ask questions on a few days at a time.  

1) Oct 10- Do you think we have enough time to tour Castel Sant’ Angelo after our Vatican Necropolis tour and before our lunch at Ristorante Arlù?   Do we need to get tickets and is it doable without a guided tour?  Maybe  I should cancel the lunch reservation to give us more flexibility to explore Castel Sant’ Angelo and other sites in that area.  

2) Oct 11 - We have an early food tour starting at 5:00 PM.   Is there anything near the Colosseum or walking towards Hotel D’Inghilterra that would be good spot for us to take a little break and have a light lunch or a slice of pizza and possibly people watch.  

3) Oct 12 - Salumeria Con Cucina Roscioli has great reviews but it was difficult to get a reservation so I booked what was available.  It’s not very close to our morning excursion at the Vatican or the hotel.  Do you think I should cancel this reservation and use the time after the Vatican to explore the Jewish Quarters and have lunch there?  

4) I need to do more research because I want  to put in ideas in all the blue free time boxes.  During these times we can explore if we have energy or relax at the hotel or find a spot to relax and people watch.  

image.thumb.png.0953ea6c2a805dd74246776d6e3ad097.png

6 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

1) Oct 10- Do you think we have enough time to tour Castel Sant’ Angelo after our Vatican Necropolis tour and before our lunch at Ristorante Arlù?   Do we need to get tickets and is it doable without a guided tour?  Maybe  I should cancel the lunch reservation to give us more flexibility to explore Castel Sant’ Angelo and other sites in that area.  

2) Oct 11 - We have an early food tour starting at 5:00 PM.   Is there anything near the Colosseum or walking towards Hotel D’Inghilterra that would be good spot for us to take a little break and have a light lunch or a slice of pizza and possibly people watch.  

3) Oct 12 - Salumeria Con Cucina Roscioli has great reviews but it was difficult to get a reservation so I booked what was available.  It’s not very close to our morning excursion at the Vatican or the hotel.  Do you think I should cancel this reservation and use the time after the Vatican to explore the Jewish Quarters and have lunch there?  

Q1:  I think the amount of time you currently have would be enough for a very quick visit to Castel Sant'Angelo. Would it be possible for you to move your lunch reservation forward half an hour to 1pm? That would be a bit more comfortable, time-wise.

Q2:  There is a wine bar called Enoteca Cavour 313 that I really love. It is on Via Cavour, on the end closest to the Colosseum, so it is fairly close and not touristy. The local owners are committed to sourcing food from Lazio (the region Rome is in) and they offer a limited menu and daily specials that are fairly light. (Definitely look at the daily specials, they are usually outstanding.) I'm not sure if a reservation is required -- I've never made them but I tend to be in Rome very off-season. However, it does look like you can make one online:   https://cavour313.it/en/book/#booknow

Q3:  The Salumeria Roscioli isn't too far from the Pantheon, which you have as a possibility right before (in your blue box). That would make sense. It's fairly easy to get a taxi from the Vatican to the Pantheon, see it, then walk to Roscioli. (I have a love/hate relationship with Roscioli personally, but they are excellent for what they do. They just are too aware of that, lol...)

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Q1:  I think the amount of time you currently have would be enough for a very quick visit to Castel Sant'Angelo. Would it be possible for you to move your lunch reservation forward half an hour to 1pm? That would be a bit more comfortable, time-wise.

Q2:  There is a wine bar called Enoteca Cavour 313 that I really love. It is on Via Cavour, on the end closest to the Colosseum, so it is fairly close and not touristy. The local owners are committed to sourcing food from Lazio (the region Rome is in) and they offer a limited menu and daily specials that are fairly light. (Definitely look at the daily specials, they are usually outstanding.) I'm not sure if a reservation is required -- I've never made them but I tend to be in Rome very off-season. However, it does look like you can make one online:   https://cavour313.it/en/book/#booknow

Q3:  The Salumeria Roscioli isn't too far from the Pantheon, which you have as a possibility right before (in your blue box). That would make sense. It's fairly easy to get a taxi from the Vatican to the Pantheon, see it, then walk to Roscioli. (I have a love/hate relationship with Roscioli personally, but they are excellent for what they do. They just are too aware of that, lol...)

Thank you!  I think Enoteca Cavour 313 might be temporarily closed.  I can get to the website but the button for making reservations isn’t working and google has it as Temporarily closed. 

Do you think a few hours is enough time to explore the Jewish Quarters?  I want to fit that in and maybe have dinner there which means I need to cancel one of our dinners.  I think I need more time in Rome!  

12 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Thank you!  I think Enoteca Cavour 313 might be temporarily closed.  I can get to the website but the button for making reservations isn’t working and google has it as Temporarily closed. 

Do you think a few hours is enough time to explore the Jewish Quarters?  I want to fit that in and maybe have dinner there which means I need to cancel one of our dinners.  I think I need more time in Rome!  

Try again for Cavour 313 in a few days. Italians tend to be on vacation from the middle to the end of August.

Regarding the Ghetto -- check out Rick Steves' Rome guide. He outlines a nice self-guided tour of the Jewish Ghetto and gives details on seeing the Great Synagogue (which includes its own audioguide, I think). The area isn't really that large -- other than the synagogue and museum (combined) there are a few other points of interest but mainly eateries and shops. Rick says to allow about 90 minutes for his tour of points of interest + the synagogue. I find him a little fast, but I think two hours is probably about right.

• Like 1

I want to make sure we get a chance to try the Jewish style fried artichoke when we visit the Jewish Ghetto.  Is it available at SALUMERIA CON CUCINA ROSCIOLI?  I didn’t see it on their online menu.   If not, are there any restaurants you’d recommend that we’d be able to just stop in for an appetizer in the Jewish Ghetto?     Thank you!

42 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

I want to make sure we get a chance to try the Jewish style fried artichoke when we visit the Jewish Ghetto.  Is it available at SALUMERIA CON CUCINA ROSCIOLI?  I didn’t see it on their online menu.   If not, are there any restaurants you’d recommend that we’d be able to just stop in for an appetizer in the Jewish Ghetto?     Thank you!

Ba' Ghetto is my go-to place in the ghetto for the Jewish (fried) artichokes when I just want a faster/light meal. Otherwise I usually go to one of the very traditional restaurants for dinner, not the kind of places you'd stop in just for an appetizer.

(Note: Ba' Ghetto has two different restaurants in the ghetto due to the restrictions of kosher food. You want the one at VIA DEL PORTICO D'OTTAVIA 57 -- not the Ba' Ghetto milky).

https://www.baghetto.com/en/restaurants/portico-dottavia-jewish-restaurant-rome/

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Ba' Ghetto is my go-to place in the ghetto for the Jewish (fried) artichokes when I just want a faster/light meal. Otherwise I usually go to one of the very traditional restaurants for dinner, not the kind of places you'd stop in just for an appetizer.

(Note: Ba' Ghetto has two different restaurants in the ghetto due to the restrictions of kosher food. You want the one at VIA DEL PORTICO D'OTTAVIA 57 -- not the Ba' Ghetto milky).

https://www.baghetto.com/en/restaurants/portico-dottavia-jewish-restaurant-rome/

Thank you!   I think I need more than 5 days in Rome.   How often do you visit Rome?  

44 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Thank you!   I think I need more than 5 days in Rome.   How often do you visit Rome?  

Pre-Covid I was going once a year. Last year I was only there for a couple of days but this November I'll be there for 6 days. 🙌

• Like 1

I was able to get a reservation at Armando al Pantheon on Monday, Oct 9th at 1:15 PM for lunch.  I would have preferred a dinner reservation but we have the golf cart tour that evening.   I need to check if they have different menus.  Would you suggest sitting inside or outside?  

Now I’m trying to determine where we should eat for our last dinner on Friday.  I’ll send an email to  Ristorante Maccheroni to see if they have availability for Friday.  Do you have any other recommendations?  

Thank you!

1 hour ago, taylortime05 said:

I was able to get a reservation at Armando al Pantheon on Monday, Oct 9th at 1:15 PM for lunch.  I would have preferred a dinner reservation but we have the golf cart tour that evening.   I need to check if they have different menus.  Would you suggest sitting inside or outside?  

Now I’m trying to determine where we should eat for our last dinner on Friday.  I’ll send an email to  Ristorante Maccheroni to see if they have availability for Friday.  Do you have any other recommendations?  

Thank you!

For Armando al Pantheon I'd request to sit inside. That area is extremely busy with foot traffic. I would be distracted with all the passersby, and if you have any kind of bag I'd worry about security. I think it's more fun to sit inside and just enjoy the setting.

I'm drawing a bit of a blank on restaurants. Normally I only eat one true restaurant meal a day on my visits, so you're running through quite a few. Let me think....

While I'm cogitating, here's a link to Katie Parla's latest recommendations.  https://katieparla.com/where-to-eat-drink-shop-rome/

A number of them are in Trastevere or Testaccio. Are you doing any pizza places?  

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm drawing a bit of a blank on restaurants. Normally I only eat one true restaurant meal a day on my visits, so you're running through quite a few. Let me think....

Are you doing any pizza places?  

Below is my revised itinerary.  Thank you so much for answering all my questions and being so patient. 

I hope I’m not over doing it on the restaurant reservations.   So far Tues & Thurs are the only 2 days where I have lunch and dinner reservations.   On Tuesday the dinner reservation is at a pizza shop - Negresco Pizza e Cucina so I think we’re good there.    I think I should cancel Roscioli on Thursday and go to Pizzarium for a casual lunch near the Vatican.    What do you think?  

On another topic, we have a very early flight at 7:00 AM on Saturday.  To make it easier I have both Hotel d’Inghilterra and Hilton Rome Airport Hotel booked for Friday night.  Both are booked with points.  We can stay until Friday evening enjoying Rome with access to our hotel. Then we can checkout Friday evening and head to Hilton Rome Airport Hotel.  The other option is to checkout of Hotel d’Inghilterra on Friday prior to our Appian Way bike tour and ask that that they hold our luggage.  Which do you think is the better option? 

image.thumb.png.9e542dc151354bbfebcddd0f1391f3d8.png

Edited by taylortime05

56 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Below is my revised itinerary.  Thank you so much for answering all my questions and being so patient. 

I hope I’m not over doing it on the restaurant reservations.   So far Tues & Thurs are the only 2 days where I have lunch and dinner reservations.   On Tuesday the dinner reservation is at a pizza shop - Negresco Pizza e Cucina so I think we’re good there.    I think I should cancel Roscioli on Thursday and go to Pizzarium for a casual lunch near the Vatican.    What do you think?  

On another topic, we have a very early flight at 7:00 AM on Saturday.  To make it easier I have both Hotel d’Inghilterra and Hilton Rome Airport Hotel booked for Friday night.  Both are booked with points.  We can stay until Friday evening enjoying Rome with access to our hotel. Then we can checkout Friday evening and head to Hilton Rome Airport Hotel.  The other option is to checkout of Hotel d’Inghilterra on Friday prior to our Appian Way bike tour and ask that that they hold our luggage.  Which do you think is the better option? 

image.thumb.png.9e542dc151354bbfebcddd0f1391f3d8.png

Keep Roscioli and skip Pizzarium.  Two completely different types of restaurant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taylortime05 said:

If you're already having pizza, stick with Roscioli. But I'd definitely focus on their charcuterie. Although their pasta is also good, you'll have other "heavy hitters" in pasta dishes with Armando al Pantheon and Colline.

With regard to your last day, I personally would not overcomplicate it. Why check out of one hotel and then check into another one that you'll have to check out of the next morning. Surely all of the checking out/checking in/checking out and packing/unpacking (even a few things/packing again would take up more time and energy than just staying put, going to bed early, and arranging a taxi for 3:30 am from Hotel d'Inghilterra.

I know people do it other ways, but to me it just doesn't make sense... It's an early morning either way. Just stay where you are.

• Like 1

I kept Roscioli on Thursday.   For our last dinner in Rome on Friday,  I booked Dilla at 6:00 PM.  Its .2 mile from the hotel and it came highly recommended.  Most of the reviews on TripAdvisor are very good.  Have you heard of this restaurant?  

Im still trying to get the tickets for the underground of the Colosseum through Coop Culture.   If we dont get the tickets that will be fine.   The only thing I have left on the itinerary is to put in ideas on what we could explore during our free time.   

Now I need to focus on our packing list and what extras we need to buy.  I checked the accu weather for the Oct 9th - 14th and it looks like great temperatures.    It looks like I’ll need summer cloths during the day but either sweaters, jackets or long sleeve tops during the evening.   We’ll bring travel size umbrellas.  I think I’ll buy us collapsible water bottles.  

I’ve read so much about pick pocketing.    What do you use to carry your credit cards, money, passport (or copy of passport), water bottle and phone?  

Are there any other must have items that I should purchase for the trip?  

image.thumb.png.ec97e5a269aa2f47b7170d3668d78a67.png