COVID test certification

I've only half-followed all the discussion about Covid testing requirements because all along I've been planning on testing myself and my wife with certified office Covid testing that I administer every day in my medical office. That being said, as I get closer to departure day in a month, as I'm reading the fine print, it talks about the telehealth certification as "affiliated with" that brand of test used so now I'm not so sure. 

Just thought I'd ask then - are there any medical professionals reading this that have successfully done their own testing and certified (just like we'd report out results in the office) and had any issues. Kinda wondering if I'm out in left field and should just go buy some of the Optum telehealth tests instead. I would imagine that they are not only interested in accurate results but also HONEST results and as such, be not too keen on someone, even a doctor, doing a test on themselves even if they do it all the time....

Anyone have any wisdom or experience from this angle?

I'm definitely interested in this as well for my end-July departure.  My current plan is to use my institution's molecular lab that I use for all of my clinical staffs testing for this requirement, but if that'll be a problem moving forward I just want to make sure I pivot with a plan in time.

16 hours ago, gaunerdog said:

Anyone familiar with the NAAT test offered at Walgreens? Results are supposed to be available within 2 hours. Is it acceptable with HA cruising?

NAAT testing is listed as acceptable so I don't think that's a problem. 

What I'm talking about is an FDA [emergency] Authorized  covid test that is in all respects acceptable except it's not being telemed-witnessed by a company partnering with the test manufacturer.

20 hours ago, Nukesquad said:

I'm definitely interested in this as well for my end-July departure.  My current plan is to use my institution's molecular lab that I use for all of my clinical staffs testing for this requirement, but if that'll be a problem moving forward I just want to make sure I pivot with a plan in time.

Here's the language I've found on HAL's website that has me questioning if one can actually do this:

The following formats are acceptable proofs of a negative COVID-19 test: paper negative COVID-19 test results (original only), digital or emailed COVID-19 test results; or record of COVID-19 testing from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification or personal electronic health record.....

(which seems to imply a doctor's note saying test is negative should be fine), but then this, regarding whether self-tests are acceptable:

The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. 

So this would imply to me that my plan would NOT work. I'd love to know if someone has traveled and done this, though, successfully. I could call HAL but honestly, I'd be concerned that if they say it's okay that person might be wrong and I get stuck anyhow.

We're flying in a week early so testing before I leave the US won't help me get on the boat, though!

I might just get a six pack of the eMed (Optum) kits to play it safe. We'd need one to get back on the plane when we fly back to the US as well. At least Canada doesn't require a test to fly into the country any more.....

Edited by BroncoBobblehead

17 hours ago, gaunerdog said:

Anyone familiar with the NAAT test offered at Walgreens? Results are supposed to be available within 2 hours. Is it acceptable with HA cruising?

We used it for cruises in November and February. Results within 45 minutes.

• Like 1

Bronco - I suggest you get the Emed tests and stop stressing over it.  Anything " out of the ordinary" ( like you certifying your own test or for family members might be "suspect" from their POV), so get the EMED tests and there should be no issues.  you can then also get your own test - using your lab - and see if they accept it as a test for the future knowing you have your Emed tests in hand as well. 

Just a thought that will keep you from being worried about it!   

• Like 1

This is all very confusing to me. 
Hopefully by November when my final is due the negative tests won’t be a requirement. 
Otherwise I’ll likely cancel and do the US Virgin Islands where I don’t need a test to enter nor coming back to US. 

• Like 1

Lyndihop........this is a very specific issue for this very specific gentleman. The regular testing is not hard at all. Don’t curtail your cruise in any way,....just ask your TA and get it done!  To quote another cc member...easy peasy!  

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 11:28 AM, blueexpedition29 said:

Bronco - I suggest you get the Emed tests and stop stressing over it.  Anything " out of the ordinary" ( like you certifying your own test or for family members might be "suspect" from their POV), so get the EMED tests and there should be no issues.  you can then also get your own test - using your lab - and see if they accept it as a test for the future knowing you have your Emed tests in hand as well. 

Just a thought that will keep you from being worried about it!   

agreed - I'm not stressing, fortunately, just having to reconsider what I'd been planning. Considering the cost of the cruise and everything else, another $150 is nothing vs sweating it.... 😉

On 5/28/2022 at 7:19 PM, muffin said:

Could another  dr or medical worker at your work not sign off your family tests? Takes away the possibility of perceived lack of “ distance”. Just thinking.

I'd considered this too - would be able to do this  but not sure it would be any more likely possible to be accepted by HAL vs the original scenario. I would imagine it would ultimately depend on who's checking the documentation that morning, lol.

HAL staff at the pier have no idea who the signatories are. They just want to see the word “ negative” in the right spot. You are not doing anything suspect at all. Good luck and happy sailing! 

Lyndihop--you might think pre-testing is a pain--it's soooo much better than having folks get on the ship with covid.  We already are having too many board the ship after testing after flying to the ship and bringing covid on board.  Anything that can be done to reduce the transmission on board I think you'll appreciate in the end.  Not fun to be isolated and disembarked.  I'd rather know before I got on the ship--and possibly infected many, many others.

On 5/26/2022 at 5:59 PM, gaunerdog said:

I hope so as that's my plan next week.