First time in Yacht Club question

Elsammo46

Hi all. My name is sam and I've just booked a room in the Yacht Club for the first time on the Meraviglia in November. I've stayed in the Haven a handful of times over on NCL, should I expect a similar experience in the Yacht Club on MSC? Or are something things different/better/worse?

Thanlks!

• Like 1

We have also sailed both.  Just returned from Bliss to Alaska on NCL in Haven.  Haven experience not up to par.

Haven restaurant had inconsistent  quality . Very obvious that some items were prepared several days ago and over the hill.

When we disembarked the cruise, Concierge still had no idea who we were.

We are Sapphire on NCL. We mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary to both our Butler and Steward. Nothing was ever said or done  during entire cruise regarding this. In 2019, we had a lovely bottle of wine delivered to our cabin. This time, nada.

Last cruise on MSC, YC was November. Great experience. Drinks are superior to NCL. Food in YC restaurant is new menu each day. 
Butler, Junior butler and Concierge were very good. 
Speciality restaurants very good with both cruise lines.

You should give it a go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As has been mentioned, pros and cons to both (although we haven't been in the Haven in several years). Both are really nice experiences, but the cost of sailing in the Haven seems to have dramatically increased over the past several years. We will have our fourth YC sailing coming up this July.

17 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Haven and Yacht Club are mostly the same. Some things are better in the Haven. Some things are better in the Yacht Club.

I enjoy both and was on Meraviglia a few months ago.

Can you illustrated what was better in Haven and what was better in Yacht Club? I'm eyeballing a Duplex suite on Meraviglia for my daughter's 7th birthday.

1 hour ago, gingersvp said:

Can you illustrated what was better in Haven and what was better in Yacht Club? I'm eyeballing a Duplex suite on Meraviglia for my daughter's 7th birthday.

A lot has to do with the ship and the stateroom type/choice. I've only stayed in Haven suites that have 2 bathrooms (we're a family of 4 w/ 2 children) but my Yacht Club Royal Suites only had 1 bathroom each. Your Duplex has 2 bathrooms so that is a rare plus for Yacht Club. Both lines are excellent with children in my experience.

Butler service is better on MSC. Concierge service is usually better on NCL. 

Meraviglia's Yacht Club pool/sundeck was nice but many NCL Haven pools have the option of a retractable roof for when it rains. I don't mind the sun but some people would like more shade on Yacht Club sundecks. On the other hand, some people would prefer the Haven pools to have a view of the ocean which many do not. MSC has better food/drink amenities while at the pool/sundeck, though. 

Food is subjective but I enjoy both YC and Haven dining. NCL Haven menu doesn't change BUT I haven't tried their new menu since cruising started post-pandemic. MSC Yacht Club menu offers variety and I can always find something to choose. 

As mentioned above, both Haven and Yacht Club are very good so there isn't a "bad" thing other than some of NCL's pricing. 

• Like 1

We prefer the YC over the Haven. Haven menu is the same every day. One need not seek specialty dining as the YC menu varies from day to day. One can special order in advance, as in the Haven, but that special order takes 2 hours to arrive in the Haven (DW's standing order of a grilled chicken breast and one baked potato, 2 hours?). Guests in the YC will not be bothered by other YC guests that book more than one cabin, throwing footballs or frisbees like on the Haven pool deck. Bottled water is complimentary in YC. All the YC suites, lounge, restaurant and pool are together. New elevators are 'almost' express in the forward bank (YC). We were on March 19 2022 sailing, from deck 8 press deck 19, A,B,C ,or D elevator lights up; step toward lit elevator, empty elevator opens, walk in, no further deck buttons inside elevator for children to play with, express to deck 19. Every Madison theatre show has reserved seating, no reservations needed for YC guests. One will not see discarded, soiled plates and drink glasses left in hallways of YC. 110 YC cabins, counted 16 butlers during captains greeting in Top Sail Lounge, so plenty of service no waiting. Live music from TSL to YC restaurant during dinner.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We prefer the YC over the Haven. Haven menu is the same every day. One need not seek specialty dining as the YC menu varies from day to day. One can special order in advance, as in the Haven, but that special order takes 2 hours to arrive in the Haven (DW's standing order of a grilled chicken breast and one baked potato, 2 hours?). Guests in the YC will not be bothered by other YC guests that book more than one cabin, throwing footballs or frisbees like on the Haven pool deck. Bottled water is complimentary in YC. All the YC suites, lounge, restaurant and pool are together. New elevators are 'almost' express in the forward bank (YC). We were on March 19 2022 sailing, from deck 8 press deck 19, A,B,C ,or D elevator lights up; step toward lit elevator, empty elevator opens, walk in, no further deck buttons inside elevator for children to play with, express to deck 19. Every Madison theatre show has reserved seating, no reservations needed for YC guests. One will not see discarded, soiled plates and drink glasses left in hallways of YC. 110 YC cabins, counted 16 butlers during captains greeting in Top Sail Lounge, so plenty of service no waiting. Live music from TSL to YC restaurant during dinner.

The lack of children soiled plates and express elevator sound like this is the perfect all inclusive ticket. I find it odd anyone would sail anything else when this exists. I hear carnivle is the polar opposite kinda like a giant cattle drive on the ocean

i think it would be hard to remember whats included and whats not included. would I end up packing things that are included? i like to make sure I have things like lawreys seasoneding salt with me for dining (herd, private & in room) but if this is included in Meravigles would I need to bring it? how do I find out? this is just one thing that would confuse me whilst packing. what else can I leave at home because its included. too much for this old mare to figure out. i could probably do with pretending the key to my room is my castle drawbridge and stay secluded in there. no kids or dirty dishes in there

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terrance Hashimoto said:

i like to make sure I have things like lawreys seasoneding

Anything you are accustomed to have to make your life most enjoyable, BRING WITH YOU !

P.S. My DW travels with 12 suitcases for a 7 day cruise. Some of us must always be kept in a manner to which we have become accustomed, myself included.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We also like the Yacht Club enclave secluded form the rest of the ship on the 'Meraviglis' class ships. Key card to get in. There is a sense of being in a 'castle' surrounded by a moat and drawbridge.

What other MSC ships are in the Meraviglia class?

2 minutes ago, Av8tor said:

What other MSC ships are in the Meraviglia class?

The Bellisima and then Grandiosa, Virtuosa and the new Euriba (launch next year) are Meraviglia plus, same layout just slightly bigger.

This is all helpful! We have sailed in the 2 bedroom Haven suite, but on a smaller ship without a Haven restaurant. We just booked the Duplex suite on Meraviglia, as we're only bringing one of our 3 kids with us. Our teens no longer want to cruise with us!

It's good to hear the YC restaurant is so good, because I was just starting to review specialty dining. I'm over tepan style cooking on a ship and don't eat red meat - so some of it was already off my list. My daughter is incredibly picky but will be happy all day long on fresh fruit, pizza and plain pasta - all I'm sure readily available.

From what I gather the chocolate shop and gelato are extra - are there any other extra charges beyond specialty dining, excursions, spa (ie the expected extras)? 

29 minutes ago, Terrance Hashimoto said:

I hope your tipping your flight attendants! Thats a lot of suitcases! 

Flight attendants do not handle luggage.
Porters can still be found at airport and at the port. 

We tip porters at dock very well. This is one absolute as they make sure we are taken to correct check in  and taxi lines right away. 
When we were disembarking Meraviglia, in Barcelona, our concierge had junior butlers take our luggage all the way outside to our waiting car service. They were tipped well also.

I think they just wanted to get off ship, even for just a few moments.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gingersvp said:

This is all helpful! We have sailed in the 2 bedroom Haven suite, but on a smaller ship without a Haven restaurant. We just booked the Duplex suite on Meraviglia, as we're only bringing one of our 3 kids with us. Our teens no longer want to cruise with us!

It's good to hear the YC restaurant is so good, because I was just starting to review specialty dining. I'm over tepan style cooking on a ship and don't eat red meat - so some of it was already off my list. My daughter is incredibly picky but will be happy all day long on fresh fruit, pizza and plain pasta - all I'm sure readily available.

From what I gather the chocolate shop and gelato are extra - are there any other extra charges beyond specialty dining, excursions, spa (ie the expected extras)? 

Our kids also got to the stage where they did not want to be seen with us, when we traveled together.

Now, they are married and talk about how much fun they had on our cruises and vacations.🙄

Duplex looks great. We can no longer do stairs so, have not tried it.

You will enjoy your hot tub on your deck and aft views.
This is the only cabin , in YC, that has 2 bathrooms.

Your daughter will enjoy the pizza and pastas. Can be made to order. 
She can order milkshakes from bar up on pool deck. Late breakfast and lunch buffet offered on pool deck are very nice. Afternoons, they brought around small cups of gelato for YC guests to sample. 
Also, free access to thermal spa. Meraviglia has an amazing spa area . Free to use for all of you throughout cruise. Massages are extra. 

We have stayed in Royal Suite. Nice space and deck but, as mentioned, only  1 bathroom . Our next MSC cruise will be on Divina , in an Executive Suite. Interesting if we will miss having access to a balcony. We are on corner facing Ocean Cay, so views will be nice.
Again, largest cabin on the ship but , 1 bathroom. Last cruise on MSC was Meraviglia, in Caribbean. We found we spent all our time up on pool deck , in our cabana.

You will enjoy your cruise. Staff very nice and helpful.

Edited by phissy

1 hour ago, Terrance Hashimoto said:

I hope your tipping your flight attendants! Thats a lot of suitcases! 

Last cruise we tipped $1350 for the week of excellent service, not including the DSC (discretionary service charges) charged to each passenger. I would figure this one deserves $200 and DW would say make it $250. Always tip the baggage handlers $50 to make sure the bags make it on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1