Upgrade to YC class cabin

Moaningman

Hi Everyone

Sorry if this has been discussed recently, but I'm trying to get a little bit of info on a free upgrade I've just received.  We're sailing on the Virtuosa in August and last night I received a new booking confirmation upgrading us from an aft facing Aurea experience suite, to a YC balcony in the YC area.  I thought I'd give them a call to see why and to make sure I hadn't misunderstood (never have any problems getting through on the phone either, which is a definite plus).  Also, the cabin they had moved us to was an accessible cabin.

However, the person I spoke to advised that while we have the YC cabin, the experience stays the same and we won't have access to any of the YC areas of the ship.  Looking at the posts from a few years ago there seemed to be a mixed response as to if this is what happens when you get on board so was wondering what other people's experiences had been?  If you don't get the experience and access then it almost feels like a downgrade?

Thanks

You will get the full YC experience which is amazing. The YC balconies are situated within the YC so there is no way that they could deny you access, your room card opens the doors into the whole YC area. Last year we bid for a YC upgrade, we were in the same position as you with our booking still showing the original experience but the room in YC, no problems once onboard. 

Beware though, once you have experienced it you won't want to go back, this year we booked and paid full price for YC and it was worth every penny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moaningman said:

However, the person I spoke to advised that while we have the YC cabin, the experience stays the same and we won't have access to any of the YC areas of the ship.  Looking at the posts from a few years ago there seemed to be a mixed response as to if this is what happens when you get on board so was wondering what other people's experiences had been?  If you don't get the experience and access then it almost feels like a downgrade?

The person you were speaking to was probably incorrect. They can deny you access to YC restaurant, bar and sundeck but they probably won't.

Very few people, I only remember one, has reported that they didn't got the YC experience when they were upgraded.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I did a bid on the YC from and Aurea balcony on the Seashore. We got everything in the YC experience at the YC. When we left the YC to the rest of the ship, our drink pkg reverted back to what we had booked on Aurea. As long as you're in the YC or the Aurea spa, you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy the experience.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I did a bid on the YC from and Aurea balcony on the Seashore. We got everything in the YC experience at the YC. When we left the YC to the rest of the ship, our drink pkg reverted back to what we had booked on Aurea. As long as you're in the YC or the Aurea spa, you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy the experience.

Thanks

We had already purchased the premium extra drinks package as it was included as an option in the fare so think it'll be pretty much the same. 

Been looking at some of the video reviews if the YC experience and it looks amazing

18 hours ago, Moaningman said:

Thanks both, appreciate the prompt answer!

(Sverigecruiser - I saw you were heavily involved in a similar conversation a few years ago too that I had been reading 😀)

My point then, as you probably understand, was that they can deny access to things, not that they normally does.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Moaningman said:

Thanks

We had already purchased the premium extra drinks package as it was included as an option in the fare so think it'll be pretty much the same. 

Been looking at some of the video reviews if the YC experience and it looks amazing

Yes it's the premium extra package outside of YC, pretty much every drink we wanted was included all around the ship. The videos are correct, YC is amazing and the staff onboard Virtuosa at the moment are excellent.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

My point then, as you probably understand, was that they can deny access to things, not that they normally does.

They've got the option haven't they, but if that did happen I'd argue it wasn't much of an upgrade. I get from that old thread and your comments it's possible, but unlikely. 

The latest terms and conditions for the bid upgrade does now say that if you upgrade to an Aurea or YC grade you get the full experience (point 21 I think). Ive just had the bid email but now they've upgraded me though the only options are a YC duplex or Royal Suite and still too pricey for me unfortunately. That said I don't think I'm going to mind!

4 minutes ago, kernow said:

Yes it's the premium extra package outside of YC, pretty much every drink we wanted was included all around the ship. The videos are correct, YC is amazing and the staff onboard Virtuosa at the moment are excellent.

That's great to hear - its our first MSC, only really done P&O and RC before (other than my very first one on Sundream I think it was called - great experience but the ship was condemned a few months later 😂)

2 minutes ago, Moaningman said:

That's great to hear - its our first MSC, only really done P&O and RC before (other than my very first one on Sundream I think it was called - great experience but the ship was condemned a few months later 😂)

We love RC too(there entertainment is still the best IMHO) and sail them often but YC is something else and a real treat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moaningman said:

The latest terms and conditions for the bid upgrade does now say that if you upgrade to an Aurea or YC grade you get the full experience (point 21 I think). 

It's a difference between a paid for upgrade and a free upgrade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Missbollinger said:

We were upgraded by MSC and assured we will get all the YC benefits.  

When someone pay to upgrade they can expect to get the full experience unless they are told otherwise, I think.

When someone is upgraded for free they can't expect to get everything but from what is reported here, most of the time the full experience is included.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

When someone pay to upgrade they can expect to get the full experience unless they are told otherwise, I think.

When someone is upgraded for free they can't expect to get everything but from what is reported here, most of the time the full experience is included.

For our upgrade, we were bumped to YC and lost our grandfathered Aurea benefits, the CS I spoke to assured me because this was done by MSC and no fault of our own we would enjoy all YC privileges.  In short, if you were bumped and did not request it, MSC will honor all YC privileges.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Missbollinger said:

For our upgrade, we were bumped to YC and lost our grandfathered Aurea benefits, the CS I spoke to assured me because this was done by MSC and no fault of our own we would enjoy all YC privileges.  In short, if you were bumped and did not request it, MSC will honor all YC privileges.

But officially I think that the benefits you have you shall keep. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Thanks for your replies before. Just an update - I definitely won't be getting YC benefits as they have now downgraded us. Spoke to several different people and got different answers, but in the end they are suggesting it was because I requested it (hmmmm).

After several calls they refuse to reinstate to YC. They have offered a compromise, which is a really nice cabin, but it still has left me feeling quite bitter about the whole experience. 

I got Antonio Paradiso's contact details off here and sent him an email asking to look into, but that was 2 weeks ago and not had even an acknowledgement yet - has anyone else had any experience of how long it should take to get a reply, even if the reply is a flat "not interested"?

23 minutes ago, Moaningman said:

Hi All

Thanks for your replies before. Just an update - I definitely won't be getting YC benefits as they have now downgraded us. Spoke to several different people and got different answers, but in the end they are suggesting it was because I requested it (hmmmm).

After several calls they refuse to reinstate to YC. They have offered a compromise, which is a really nice cabin, but it still has left me feeling quite bitter about the whole experience. 

I got Antonio Paradiso's contact details off here and sent him an email asking to look into, but that was 2 weeks ago and not had even an acknowledgement yet - has anyone else had any experience of how long it should take to get a reply, even if the reply is a flat "not interested"?

By "requested it" I mean they are saying that I requested to move back to my original cabin

You have to be careful as others have said between an Upgrade you've paid for and one where you've simply been moved to a YC cabin. We had a similar situation on our booking recently where my sister in laws family were booked into a two bed suite (Aurea) and then received a new booking confirmation that their cabin had been changed to YC cabin as MSC wanted to retain the two bed suite for potential COVID situations. The booking was very clear Cabin Grade YC and Experience was still Aurea. 

Whilst I suspect as others have said that they would probably get YC experience for most parts, I have no doubt their experience would probably be coded as Aurea on their cruise card (which might limit some things). In the end they chose to "upgrade" their cruise experience to YC to avoid any potential issues. Interestingly this took a long long time as clearly the MSC system couldn't deal with it (as the original change had been made by MSC) and it had to be escalated internally...in the end they received the YC experience for no extra charge (that said we have an additional two cabins on this booking that were already YC so that may have played a part). They now have a booking that confirm both cabin and experience are YC.

They key thing is to check your booking documentation and see what it says.

18 minutes ago, Rossco01 said:

You have to be careful as others have said between an Upgrade you've paid for and one where you've simply been moved to a YC cabin. We had a similar situation on our booking recently where my sister in laws family were booked into a two bed suite (Aurea) and then received a new booking confirmation that their cabin had been changed to YC cabin as MSC wanted to retain the two bed suite for potential COVID situations. The booking was very clear Cabin Grade YC and Experience was still Aurea. 

Whilst I suspect as others have said that they would probably get YC experience for most parts, I have no doubt their experience would probably be coded as Aurea on their cruise card (which might limit some things). In the end they chose to "upgrade" their cruise experience to YC to avoid any potential issues. Interestingly this took a long long time as clearly the MSC system couldn't deal with it (as the original change had been made by MSC) and it had to be escalated internally...in the end they received the YC experience for no extra charge (that said we have an additional two cabins on this booking that were already YC so that may have played a part). They now have a booking that confirm both cabin and experience are YC.

They key thing is to check your booking documentation and see what it says.

Hi Rossco01

Thanks for the reply. I know we weren't guaranteed all of the experience - we've got a drinks package already so would have been happy with the access to the YC areas so we don't have to fight for a sun lounger. 

The point I'm making is they completely took the upgrade off us so we're no longer in the YC area at all, regardless of experience. 

The cabin they have agreed to upgrade us to looks amazing so I am happy with that. We already have a premium drinks package so I had asked of it was possible, to put the issue to bed on both our sides, that we could still just have access to the YC area, mainly the sundeck but restaurant too if possible, but was told we had to ask on ship. I don't believe that this couldn't be arranged before sailing, which is why I emailed Mr Paradiso, just to look into it. 

I haven't had a response yet, but didn't want to chase without giving him chance to review and reply - I imagine he's a very busy person.

3 minutes ago, Moaningman said:

Hi Rossco01

Thanks for the reply. I know we weren't guaranteed all of the experience - we've got a drinks package already so would have been happy with the access to the YC areas so we don't have to fight for a sun lounger. 

The point I'm making is they completely took the upgrade off us so we're no longer in the YC area at all, regardless of experience. 

The cabin they have agreed to upgrade us to looks amazing so I am happy with that. We already have a premium drinks package so I had asked of it was possible, to put the issue to bed on both our sides, that we could still just have access to the YC area, mainly the sundeck but restaurant too if possible, but was told we had to ask on ship. I don't believe that this couldn't be arranged before sailing, which is why I emailed Mr Paradiso, just to look into it. 

I haven't had a response yet, but didn't want to chase without giving him chance to review and reply - I imagine he's a very busy person.

I'm living up to my name aren't I? 🤣