Cannes in Four to Five Hours

sjmbruce

We were there a few years ago. From port we walked into Old Town next to port and through the market, Marche Forville. The market connects to a pedestrian area lined with small shops.  By the sea you will find the Palais Des Festivals and Cannes walk of fame lined with hand prints of famous actors. You can continue along the seaside and lunch at one if the seaside restaurants or turn back to the pedestrian shopping where you’ll find some chain stores. I think it’s called Rue D’Antibes.  Cannes has plenty to fill 4 hours. It’s not worth traveling to another town. My favorite thing to do when in the Riviera is to  splurge  and have lunch at one of the beach clubs. I do, however, research them before so I don’t end up in a tourist trap. Don’t forget to enjoy a bottle of rosé wine with lunch.  

Cannes can easily be explored in a few hours as the reality is that there is not much to explore ).  When we stay in Cannes (we have spent quite a few nights in that city) we will take advantage of the free beach (not far from the tender pier) and always enjoy a late dinner in the charming Rue St Antoine area.  But for a cruiser on a day visit it is a matter of walking around the port and downtown shopping areas and perhaps enjoying a decent lunch.   When we have a long port day in Cannes we will always leave Cannes for other favorite places in the region.  It could be as simple as taking the train over to Nice or perhaps renting a car and driving to St Paul de Vence and perhaps Antibes.  For those that do not want to do a lot of walking they might consider riding around town on the Petit Train.  It is not expensive and handles the uphill slopes easier than some legs :).

I will be very honest when I say that Cannes is one of those very famous cities which often leaves folks wondering, "why is this a famous city?"  Other than its annual film festival (much of the famous folks do not even stay in Cannes) and other Conventions/Events at its large Exposition Building, it is just another seaside city.

Hank

• Like 1

Depending on when the Cannes day is during your cruise, it might be a nice opportunity to relax after some more hectic days of sightseeing.

I did the toy train which left from the quayside and travelled along the promenade and around the town. That was fun, then there was the covered market which had lovely fruit and vegetables. I remember sitting on a bench overlooking the sea and eating gorgeous cherries and apricots.  

On 6/3/2022 at 9:06 AM, Hlitner said:

Cannes can easily be explored in a few hours as the reality is that there is not much to explore ).  When we stay in Cannes (we have spent quite a few nights in that city) we will take advantage of the free beach (not far from the tender pier) and always enjoy a late dinner in the charming Rue St Antoine area.  But for a cruiser on a day visit it is a matter of walking around the port and downtown shopping areas and perhaps enjoying a decent lunch.   When we have a long port day in Cannes we will always leave Cannes for other favorite places in the region.  It could be as simple as taking the train over to Nice or perhaps renting a car and driving to St Paul de Vence and perhaps Antibes.  For those that do not want to do a lot of walking they might consider riding around town on the Petit Train.  It is not expensive and handles the uphill slopes easier than some legs :).

I will be very honest when I say that Cannes is one of those very famous cities which often leaves folks wondering, "why is this a famous city?"  Other than its annual film festival (much of the famous folks do not even stay in Cannes) and other Conventions/Events at its large Exposition Building, it is just another seaside city.

Hank

On 6/4/2022 at 1:23 PM, Chocolate Teapot said:

Depending on when the Cannes day is during your cruise, it might be a nice opportunity to relax after some more hectic days of sightseeing.

I did the toy train which left from the quayside and travelled along the promenade and around the town. That was fun, then there was the covered market which had lovely fruit and vegetables. I remember sitting on a bench overlooking the sea and eating gorgeous cherries and apricots.  

Thank you both for the advice and information! Our cruise is in October and Cannes is the last stop. I think maybe we'll take the petit train and try to make a small picnic to eat on the beach. 

On 6/3/2022 at 6:34 AM, ycl said:

We were there a few years ago. From port we walked into Old Town next to port and through the market, Marche Forville. The market connects to a pedestrian area lined with small shops.  By the sea you will find the Palais Des Festivals and Cannes walk of fame lined with hand prints of famous actors. You can continue along the seaside and lunch at one if the seaside restaurants or turn back to the pedestrian shopping where you’ll find some chain stores. I think it’s called Rue D’Antibes.  Cannes has plenty to fill 4 hours. It’s not worth traveling to another town. My favorite thing to do when in the Riviera is to  splurge  and have lunch at one of the beach clubs. I do, however, research them before so I don’t end up in a tourist trap. Don’t forget to enjoy a bottle of rosé wine with lunch.  

With our limited time I suspected traveling to another town wouldn't be worth it. Thanks for reminding me to have a bottle of wine!

10 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

With our limited time I suspected traveling to another town wouldn't be worth it. Thanks for reminding me to have a bottle of wine!

October may not be the best picnic weather.  Most of the beach facilities will be closed. However, the cafes by the old port will be open. Also, the food stands in the market will have pan bagnat sandwiches. 

Cannes is small and lovely for an hour or two.  Would recommend approx. 20 minute drive to Antibes and perhaps visit the Picasso Museum. We had a car rental however, there may be a bus option. Beautiful to drive by the sea. Nearby is Cap d'Antibes where the Hôtel du Cap-Eden Roc is located (popular with rich and famous).

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 9:06 AM, Hlitner said:

, it is just another seaside city.

It is just another seaside city on the French Rivera! Beautiful place to stroll around for a few hours, have lunch and enjoy “la belle vie.”

Note than Cannes is usually a tinder port,  so you have even less time than you think. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hesitate to even suggest locations since much has changed post Covid.  There are several rental car agencies located about 2/3 - 1 mile from the tender pier and they are generally a few blocks off the water towards the center of town (on the train station side which is a real hike from the tender pier).  You can simply google the options and can compare the prices of the usual places such as Europcar, Budget and Hertz.  There also used to be a small local company located much closer to the port (perhaps somebody here remembers their name) but I am not sure they are even in business these days.

Be forewarned that getting a 1 day rental car in Europe now involves similar shortages to what is happening in the USA.  Be sure to reserve a car well in advance and be prepared to pay more than you expect...especially if you must have an automatic transmission.  Standard/stick shift cars are still very common in Europe and are generally much less expensive than automatics.

Hank

If Nice and Monte Carlo are on your agenda than you might want to skip St Paul de Vence and substitute Eze Village (which is between Monte Carlo and Nice if you use the Middle Corniche.  While I am a big fan of St Paul de Vence, many actually prefer the smaller Eze Village which has a few arty places and some decent places for lunch.  And Eze does offer a fantastic view of the sea.

Hank

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, travellgirl said:

Is it easy enough to get a taxi at the port to take yup to Eze or Cap d’Antibes?  Have been to Nice a few times and looking to go to one of these small towns.

Thank you. 

Maybe!  I assume you are talking about the port of Villefranche which is actually a relatively small place.  There are usually a few taxis near the tender pier, but they are first come first serve which means it is very likely you will find no taxis.  Also keep in mind that even if you find a taxi to take you to one of those places, you may not be able to find any taxis for the return.   It is wise to be armed with the phone numbers of some taxi companies (often called "Radio taxis") and have the Uber app (with an account).  I will add that Uber always seems to be hit/miss in France and it may or may not exist at the time you visit.  You also should be forewarned that French taxis can be very expensive outside the major cities (like Paris).

Hank