Prepaid Service Charge- Haven

many people also chose to provide an additional gratuity to their room steward, above the prepaid service charge. same thing for favorite bartenders or servers. it's not required, there is no pressure nor expectation, but it is common for many, if you've received extraordinary service.

Edited by UKstages

I always give a tip to my room steward and butler as soon as I meet them on embarkation day which is equivalent to half of what I would consider to be a good tip for excellent service. Every time I have done this the service has always been amazing and at the end of the voyage I tip the balance. I also do the same with the bartenders at the Haven bar and when they see you coming there is a drink always ready. They are all so appreciative as they get paid very little and depend on tips and show it to you with outstanding service

• Like 2

This will be my first haven experience. 

If we opt to give the butler and / or concierge some of the tip at the beginning, how do they know that isn't their full tip (so not as much as they might want)?

2 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

If we opt to give the butler and / or concierge some of the tip at the beginning, how do they know that isn't their full tip (so not as much as they might want)?

Just say there will be more coming later in the cruise when you give the tip to them.

UKstages is correct you are not under any obligation to tip anyone on your cruise.

Just because butler and concierge isn’t included that’s not your fault, they have handsomely paid salaries.

10 hours ago, DorothyB said:

There really is no need to tip on the first day. Being in the Haven, you should expect great service. I always bring thank you cards and on the last day, present cash tips and a personalized note to my butler, steward and concierge.

11 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

There really is no need to tip on the first day. Being in the Haven, you should expect great service. I always bring thank you cards and on the last day, present cash tips and a personalized note to my butler, steward and concierge.

I agree! I’ve never tipped the first day and have always have exceptional service - and that includes being in an aft Haven PH (which, in all honesty, was probably the best service in my suite/Haven cruising experience)!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Trimone said:

UKstages is correct you are not under any obligation to tip anyone on your cruise.

Just because butler and concierge isn’t included that’s not your fault, they have handsomely paid salaries.

UKstages didn't say that at all.

i suggest you go back and read what UKstages actually said.

as for the butler and concierge having "handsomely paid salaries," that deserves further exploration. how much do you think they are paid? and do you think their salaries are calculated with the assumption that they will receive tips from most people or do you think that NCL believes their salaries will be their only compensation?

• Like 3

I never said “you have” to tip on the first day I said it is what I have done and as a result always had exceptional service. I would rather let them know from the onset that they are appreciated. Trust me the butler may be receiving a better salary than someone in the dining room but I would venture to say they are not “handsomely paid”, probably significantly less than most of us staying in the Haven. I always spend time speaking at length to the staff and many are away from their families for months at a time a send virtually everything they earn home. These are not easy jobs. 

it’s completely your decision to tip or not to tip. For me these are hard working people who’s job it is to make your vacation better. Most live months at a time in a tiny shared room and work many hours a day. If they are helpful, happy and making my vacation better you best believe I am going to show them appreciation with a tip. 

I will let them know the first day by tipping that if I receive the exceptional service I always have they will be appreciated. If someone goes out of their way for me to make my vacation better I think I can afford to give them a tip that’s probably the equivalent of what I spend going to dinner at home. 
One more thing keep in mind many of these people didn’t work for about two years due to COVID. Personally I try to give everyone in the service industry a little extra these days a little goes a long way. 

Edited by Salf777
  • Like 2

Tipping each time is very individual.
Our cruise in November was great and we tipped all the amazing staff.  Was not on NCL but MSC Yacht Club.

Our last cruise on NCL Haven was May 2022. This time I decided to follow Gary’s advice.

I wrote a short  letter to Butler outlining our preferences and what we would like during ,the week. I also indicated we were celebrating our 45th anniversary.

I enclosed a very large tip in the envelope indicating that we appreciate his efforts during our stay.

We received amazing service for the first few days. Last 3 days were phoned in. Nothing was ever done to acknowledge our anniversary.

Butler was at the end of his contract and already mentally leaving the ship.

We wished him well and blessings to his family, however, did not tip anything additional.

Each cruise is unique with unique service staff. 
On this NCL cruise, the Internet Cafe manager was our hero. He did an amazing job, following up with us to see if our issues had been solved. 
Our day at Glacier Bay, there was no internet at all. He called us to let us know when it was restored and gave us our minutes back for several failed log in issues.

You can never predict who will be the amazing person who makes you smile and takes care without expecting  anything but a “ Thank you and smile.”

The DW and I tend to stick with the smaller ships, Jewel Class (Jade, Pearl, Gem, Jewel) for Haven stays - I just wanted to share for some of sailors new to 'The Haven' that there are others to consider when tipping - Of course it is a personal decision; 

We like to tip the following whenever in the Haven:

• Room Steward
  • Courtyard Valet
  • Butler
  • Concierge
  • Haven Restaurant Breakfast/Lunch Maitre'd
  • Haven Restaurant Breakfast/Lunch Servers

They all work so hard to give us a wonderful experience and we like to show our appreciation to them - We tip throughout the week and give a larger final tip at the end of the cruise - It has always worked well for us. 

45 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

The DW and I tend to stick with the smaller ships, Jewel Class (Jade, Pearl, Gem, Jewel) for Haven stays - I just wanted to share for some of sailors new to 'The Haven' that there are others to consider when tipping - Of course it is a personal decision; 

We like to tip the following whenever in the Haven:

• Room Steward
  • Courtyard Valet
  • Butler
  • Concierge
  • Haven Restaurant Breakfast/Lunch Maitre'd
  • Haven Restaurant Breakfast/Lunch Servers

They all work so hard to give us a wonderful experience and we like to show our appreciation to them - We tip throughout the week and give a larger final tip at the end of the cruise - It has always worked well for us. 

I'm not saying don't tip these people (outside the butler and concierge), but why plan to tip these people? They all receive a portion of the gratuities paid by us ($20/person/day in the Haven).

Having said that, we did actually tip everyone on this list except the courtyard valet - we didn't order drinks or food while in the courtyard, nor did he ever come by to ask us if we wanted a drink (we didn't). 

They do work hard and make the trip amazing, but please don't make people think they are expected to tip the employees already in the tip pool.

Now the butler and concierge - you absolutely should tip them if you use their services. When we went on our first Haven cruise we went into it thinking we would tip the butler a lot and the concierge a little. We actually found we used the concierge's services far more than the butler, so at the end of the cruise, we did tip the concierge the amount we had planned for the butler and vice versa.

The service from everyone in the Haven is absolutely amazing! You should consider tipping above the gratuity, but by no means is it required or expected. Heck, our butler didn't even think we would provide him a tip when we did give him the envelope. 

Enjoy your first Haven experience. We sure did and we will never, ever not cruise NCL in the Haven!

Erm...My post CLEARLY states: 

I just wanted to share for some of sailors new to 'The Haven' that there are others to consider when tipping - Of course it is a personal decision; 

AND

They all work so hard to give us a wonderful experience and we like to show our appreciation to them...

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm not saying don't tip these people (outside the butler and concierge), but why plan to tip these people? They all receive a portion of the gratuities paid by us ($20/person/day in the Haven).

They do work hard and make the trip amazing, but please don't make people think they are expected to tip the employees already in the tip pool.

Thanks for your insight. 

-CTC001

17 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

Erm...My post CLEARLY states: 

I just wanted to share for some of sailors new to 'The Haven' that there are others to consider when tipping - Of course it is a personal decision; 

AND

They all work so hard to give us a wonderful experience and we like to show our appreciation to them...

Thanks for your insight. 

-CTC001

Oh I know! But your post makes it sound as if you should tip everyone...just wanted to be sure folks know it's perfectly ok not to. 

13 hours ago, phissy said:

Tipping each time is very individual . . .

Our last cruise on NCL Haven was May 2022. This time I decided to follow Gary’s advice.

I wrote a short  letter to Butler

outlining our preferences and what we would like during ,the week. I also indicated we were celebrating our 45th anniversary.

I enclosed a very large tip in the envelope indicating that we appreciate his efforts during our stay.

We received amazing service for the first few days. Last 3 days were phoned in. Nothing was ever done to acknowledge our anniversary.

Butler was at the end of his contract and already mentally leaving the ship.

We wished him well and blessings to his family, however, did not tip anything additional . . .

On this NCL cruise, the Internet Cafe manager was our hero. He did an amazing job, following up with us to see if our issues had been solved. 

Our day at Glacier Bay, there was no internet at all. He called us to let us know when it was restored and gave us our minutes back for several failed log in issues.

You can never predict who will be the amazing person who makes you smile and takes care without expecting  anything but a “ Thank you and smile.”

Of the cogent information provided by Mr. Tilkin in his "NCL Haven Luxury VIP 'Secrets'" thread, I found his idea of a letter to the butler to be a high recommendation.  For our September cruise on NORWEGIAN JOY, I've already prepared a "Gary letter" to give to our butler (subject to revision, in case the Good Mrs. Benson or I think of any additional requests).  Actually, I've generated two letters, for, as noted a few pages into Mr. Tilkin's thread, some posters received less than satisfactory service from their butlers during their recent cruises on JOY.

The basic difference between the two letters is the original contains a tip for the butler in advance.  I agree with the approach that tipping up front assures top-notch service.  If our butler goes above and beyond, I'll add to the tip at the end of the cruise.

If our butler fails to present himself on the first day, as he should and in the cases of all the reports of sub-standard butler service, did not appear until a day or more later, then my second letter will not contain a tip or make any mention of one.  Any tip to him at the end of the cruise will be based on how well he recovers from his failure to report on the first day.

I agree with you folks who also tip the concierge and the room steward (even though the latter is covered by the service charge).  It doesn't hurt to show one's appreciation personally.  Besides, we might sail on NORWEGIAN JOY again, and it would be good to be remembered favourably.

Edited by CDR Benson

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

I’ve never read so much rubbish in my life…a tip is for exceptional service and not the norm?

you pay upfront to NCL and enjoy yourself 

O.K., then look at it as a bribe, the same way one slips the maître d' twenty bucks to get moved to the head of the line or a better table at a restaurant.  If tipping the butler in advance gets me priority attention from him, then it works for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

I’ve never read so much rubbish in my life…a tip is for exceptional service and not the norm?

you pay upfront to NCL and enjoy yourself 

Guessing you are not a US based traveler, as tipping for us is the norm.  All part of the transaction.  Only time I don't tip is when it's deplorable service.  

Is there a formula anyone follow for tipping on a ship?  Restaurant tipping here in WA state is easy, based on the tax and whatnot.  No idea if I am over or under tipping on a ship.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Guessing you are not a US based traveler, as tipping for us is the norm.  All part of the transaction.  Only time I don't tip is when it's deplorable service.  

Is there a formula anyone follow for tipping on a ship?  Restaurant tipping here in WA state is easy, based on the tax and whatnot.  No idea if I am over or under tipping on a ship.

Oh no! You asked the dreaded question! How dare you ask what others tip or what the formula is. It's but a personal choice...so say those who answer this question on every post it's asked on.

My husband and I tipped the concierge $100, the butler $50, room steward, servers (only the ones we were closest to), and Haven restaurant host $25. Maitre'd got nothing, because he was unhelpful and appeared to get in the way of the staff every time we saw him. Yes, that's for a week's worth of service. Are we cheap? Maybe to you - they seemed grateful we at least provided a tip.

I've seen some individuals state you are not worthy of the Haven if you don't tip a minimum of $100/day to your butler. I say rubbish to that! 

And so, that was our formula. 

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh no! You asked the dreaded question! How dare you ask what others tip or what the formula is. It's but a personal choice...so say those who answer this question on every post it's asked on.

My husband and I tipped the concierge $100, the butler $50, room steward, servers (only the ones we were closest to), and Haven restaurant host $25. Maitre'd got nothing, because he was unhelpful and appeared to get in the way of the staff every time we saw him. Yes, that's for a week's worth of service. Are we cheap? Maybe to you - they seemed grateful we at least provided a tip.

I've seen some individuals state you are not worthy of the Haven if you don't tip a minimum of $100/day to your butler. I say rubbish to that! 

And so, that was our formula. 

Lol, thanks for the info.  Sorry to anyone if I am breaking some taboo.  I consider myself an good tipper as I worked in the service industry for quite a while and appreciate what they do.

Doing our first Haven cabin next December and never had a butler or concierge on NCL to tip before so any clues are appreciated.