Chops Plus 1

Hi, Cruisers!  We are a family of 4 sailing on Independence of the Seas in a few weeks. We booked on line and prepaid Chops Plus 1 for the our family. This includes a set reservation at Chops plus another reservation at an unspecified specialty restaurant at an unspecified time. 

for those of you who have experience with Chops Plus 1. 

1.  How do we make that second reservation?  Can we do it on line, or do we have to do this onboard ship?  If onboard, where do we go on ship to get this done?

2.  What restaurant do you recommend?  Is Giovanni’s the only real choice, or can we select Izumi or a second Chops reservation?

Thank you!

13 minutes ago, BHappy2Day said:

Hi, Cruisers!  We are a family of 4 sailing on Independence of the Seas in a few weeks. We booked on line and prepaid Chops Plus 1 for the our family. This includes a set reservation at Chops plus another reservation at an unspecified specialty restaurant at an unspecified time. 

1.  How do we make that second reservation?  Can we do it on line, or do we have to do this onboard ship?  If onboard, where do we go on ship to get this done?

2.  What restaurant do you recommend?  Is Giovanni’s the only real choice, or can we select Izumi or a second Chops reservation?

Thank you!

You make a reservation after you board, 99% chance Chops will not be reserved even though you picked a day and time.  You can go to any Restaurant and make both your reservations.  Yes you can make a double Chops visit. Be sure to try the Berkshire blackened pork belly  appetizer at chops. 

1 hour ago, BHappy2Day said:

Thank you!

Izumi would be my favorite 2nd choice if they allow it and not booked up.

Many say book Giovanni for steak, not chops the filet is better in Giovanni but I'm not a Italian fan so I have trouble with the appetizers in Giovanni.. most I know would pick Giovanni over chops for steak. 

23 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Izumi would be my favorite 2nd choice if they allow it and not booked up.

Many say book Giovanni for steak, not chops the filet is better in Giovanni but I'm not a Italian fan so I have trouble with the appetizers in Giovanni.. most I know would pick Giovanni over chops for steak. 

Bone-In Ribeye no longer good at Chops?

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Bone-In Ribeye no longer good at Chops?

Lol idk I always want the filet. Wish they still had surf and turf and I dont care they were small. 

I never tried another cut of steak, lol not even on carnival at their steak house. If it's not broke dont fix it. If I'm paying extra I want a sure thing.

I am disappointed to order lobster now at chops it's a surcharge of $21. On top of whatever you paid for chops. They need a smaller lobster included at chops. I'm not that big of a eater. 

On 6/4/2022 at 8:18 PM, firefly333 said:

Lol idk I always want the filet. Wish they still had surf and turf and I dont care they were small. 

I never tried another cut of steak, lol not even on carnival at their steak house. If it's not broke dont fix it. If I'm paying extra I want a sure thing.

I am disappointed to order lobster now at chops it's a surcharge of $21. On top of whatever you paid for chops. They need a smaller lobster included at chops. I'm not that big of a eater. 

filet's are so tiny........would need about 4 or 5 of them to equal a ribeye

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Then why does chops offer 2 sizes of filet, I think it's a 6 and 9 oz. Some must ask for the smaller 6 oz and it costs the same money, same cover charge. Lol I think I'd order the 9 oz only to feel I got my money's worth. Bring back surf and turf!

9 hours ago, baelor said:

Does anyone know what grade of beef is used for the filet?  The ribeye is USDA Prime according to the menu, but the filet is unspecified.

They are a bit vague on that.  The description of the restaurant states, "Most intriguing: our exceptional prime meat. This prime beef is joined by Maine lobster..." but on the menu, only the ribeye and strip are noted as "USDA Prime."  I suspect the filet is not prime, but even a "choice" cut of filet is usually very tender.

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Then why does chops offer 2 sizes of filet, I think it's a 6 and 9 oz. Some must ask for the smaller 6 oz and it costs the same money, same cover charge. Lol I think I'd order the 9 oz only to feel I got my money's worth. Bring back surf and turf!

I usually find that a 9oz filet has more edible meat than a 16oz ribeye because with rare exception, all of the meat in the filet is edible, where the ribeye will have a good bit of fat that has to be trimmed out.  If it happens to be a bone-in ribeye, then it has even less meat.  And can you not still order lobster in Chops?  I know it's an extra upcharge, but if you really want it, you should be able to get it.  And the last time I did that, it was not the small little tail they serve in the MDR, but a decent sized piece that was very tasty.  I do remember that it was not on the menu - the waiter "suggested" it as an upsell.  And that's OK with me that they do that because I sometimes like ordering something extra that's not on the regular menu.

As a side note, I had not planned on the UDP for our Voyager cruise due to there only being three specialty restaurants and I know I'd have to drag my wife to Izumi kicking and screaming.  After some consideration, I realized that we both really like steak and Italian, and while the MDR food is usually "good" it's not "great", so I went ahead and bought the UDP.  I figure we'll do Chops 3x, Giovanni's 2x and Izumi only once.  We may do another dinner at Chops or Giovanni's, or maybe go to the MDR once for "lobster night".  This way, I can try different steaks at chops and dishes at Giovanni's.  

3 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I usually find that a 9oz filet has more edible meat than a 16oz ribeye because with rare exception, all of the meat in the filet is edible, where the ribeye will have a good bit of fat that has to be trimmed out.  If it happens to be a bone-in ribeye, then it has even less meat.  And can you not still order lobster in Chops?  I know it's an extra upcharge, but if you really want it, you should be able to get it.  And the last time I did that, it was not the small little tail they serve in the MDR, but a decent sized piece that was very tasty.  I do remember that it was not on the menu - the waiter "suggested" it as an upsell.  And that's OK with me that they do that because I sometimes like ordering something extra that's not on the regular menu.

As a side note, I had not planned on the UDP for our Voyager cruise due to there only being three specialty restaurants and I know I'd have to drag my wife to Izumi kicking and screaming.  After some consideration, I realized that we both really like steak and Italian, and while the MDR food is usually "good" it's not "great", so I went ahead and bought the UDP.  I figure we'll do Chops 3x, Giovanni's 2x and Izumi only once.  We may do another dinner at Chops or Giovanni's, or maybe go to the MDR once for "lobster night".  This way, I can try different steaks at chops and dishes at Giovanni's.  

yes, as mentioned above there is lobster from main. It's a $21 upcharge on top of the cost of chops. 

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

I do remember that it was not on the menu - the waiter "suggested" it as an upsell.  And that's OK with me that they do that because I sometimes like ordering something extra that's not on the regular menu.

Not sure how long ago you were there - it is clearly listed on the App.

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

They are a bit vague on that.  The description of the restaurant states, "Most intriguing: our exceptional prime meat. This prime beef is joined by Maine lobster..." but on the menu, only the ribeye and strip are noted as "USDA Prime."  I suspect the filet is not prime, but even a "choice" cut of filet is usually very tender.

That is what I figured.  I probably would still opt for the Prime ribeye though...

9 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Not sure how long ago you were there - it is clearly listed on the App.

OK, I do see it there now.  I was looking at the website menu and it was not listed.  

3 minutes ago, baelor said:

That is what I figured.  I probably would still opt for the Prime ribeye though...

I intend to try all of those cuts on our next cruise since I bought UDP.  I want to see how they compare.  In the past, the Chops steaks have been very good and I usually get the filet. 

12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I have had the 6oz with a wedge or spinach salad  and find it more than enough. My husband has enjoyed the ribeye and the strip.

The rack of lamb was very good and I enjoyed the shrimp with salad but THAT was a small serving!

I'd go to Giovanni's without hesitating.  I like Chops quite a bit, but I love Giovanni's.

Izumi is quite good, but do that a la carte instead of as a second option on the plan.

On 6/4/2022 at 8:18 PM, firefly333 said:

Someone had mentioned that they went to Chop"s on lobster night and got the lobster tail(s) delivered from the MDR.

44 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Someone had mentioned that they went to Chop"s on lobster night and got the lobster tail(s) delivered from the MDR.

Maybe there is something wrong with my thinking but if I wanted Mdr lobster I'd just go to the Mdr and save my chops for a different night. Maybe some are very big eaters. Idk if you bought UDP it might make sense but  not if I paid my bogo or the price for chops plus 1. 

Personally I wouldnt but I cant eat that much and would want to enjoy whatever is special and included with chops. I also couldnt eat the whole 1.5 lbs Maine lobster for the extra $21. That a lot!

I go with the ribeye and convince my wife to get the larger filet so that she can share with me.  We both get the Yorkshire Pork Belly appetizer, wedge salad and sides. This is from the old days, double pour wine and triple pour gin and tonic from D lounge. IMG_3508.thumb.JPG.ca5e9cb59f0ade9bc532ecb11093b039.JPG