Statendam . Boston to Quebec City

wee-haggis

Looking at cruise of Statendam in August. Boston, Maine,Nova Scotia, New Brunswick,Newfoundland, Quebec.

Never cruised that far north before on Atlantic and just wondered what the seas are like that time of year to these destinations ?

1 hour ago, wee-haggis said:

Looking at cruise of Statendam in August. Boston, Maine,Nova Scotia, New Brunswick,Newfoundland, Quebec.

Never cruised that far north before on Atlantic and just wondered what the seas are like that time of year to these destinations ?

42 minutes ago, rajkr74 said:

HAL no longer has a ship named Statendam.  I think you are probably talking about the Zaandam.

Maybe Nieuw Statendam?

Yes, it is the Nieuw Statendam.  It is a great cruise with a wonderful itinerary.  Seas have never been horrible when we've done that cruise, but that could change with a strong storm.  The most we've had is fog.  

Zaandam goes all the way to Montreal with a similar itinerary.  Either one would be a great cruise.

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Yes, it is the Nieuw Statendam.  It is a great cruise with a wonderful itinerary.  Seas have never been horrible when we've done that cruise, but that could change with a strong storm.  The most we've had is fog.  

Zaandam goes all the way to Montreal with a similar itinerary.  Either one would be a great cruise.

Nieuw Statendam cannot sail to Montreal because of the bridges upriver from Quebec.  She doesn't fit under them.  Not visiting Montreal is a negative on those itineraries that end/start in Quebec, in my opinion.

Sea conditions?  My crystal ball has been in the shop since March, 2020.  (Parts can't be obtained; supply chain issues, you know.  😀)  There is no way of predicting what the seas will be like.  You pay your money and you accept what King Neptune and the weather gods give you.   Fog likely?  Yes, I would expect that.  I enjoy hearing the sound of the fog horn while sitting in a deck chair wrapped in a blanket with fog around my ship.   

We sailed on the Veendam ( now sold) September 26 - October 3, 2015 from Quebec City to Boston. Seas were from Beaufort 5 to Beaufort 7 after leaving Charlottetown, PEI. For Halifax, a Carnival ship arrived at Halifax but couldn't dock so just left. At Bar Harbor, another cruise ship could not retrieve its passengers by tender until the next day. I have sailed in worse weather while in the Coast Guard but probably unsettling for a cruise ship passenger.