COVID Testing for Aussies and Kiwis on Transpacific (Or any US Port)

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Looks like you'll be disembarking just before I'm boarding. I've had my flu and pneumonia shots as well as four COVIDS but I'll still be masking up.

Same here, i may be a cabin recluse, reason why i got a balcony cabin. It will kill me if i get it, low immune system.

• 2 months later...

Check in has opened and no mention of any pre boarding COVID testing? Guess as it’s not returning to a US port so not required, but unlike other cruises departing the USA, all passengers must be FULLY vaccinated.

9 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Check in has opened and no mention of any pre boarding COVID testing? Guess as it’s not returning to a US port so not required, but unlike other cruises departing the USA, all passengers must be FULLY vaccinated.

Which line?

Not sure which cruise line I read, which pretty much had the requirement matching the destination - vaxx, mask, and self test & attest within 24hrs of boarding. As far as I could tell, all of the lines had something similar.

Along the same lines, shorter cruises within the US no longer require pre-cruise testing if vaccinated, but still required to test if unvaccinated.

48 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Which line?

Royal Carribean, Absolutely no mention or requirement of any kind of pre test on my check in documents and what I need show or upload before boarding? Just proof of vaccination, but then also says they will be conducting pre boarding screening at the pier, but cant see that being RAS tests with so many boarding, maybe temperature checks and declaration?

13 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Royal Carribean, Absolutely no mention or requirement of any kind of pre test on my check in documents and what I need show or upload before boarding? Just proof of vaccination, but then also says they will be conducting pre boarding screening at the pier, but cant see that being RAS tests with so many boarding, maybe temperature checks and declaration?

Yes, the Oz site is only detailing cruises departing here, and the US site doesn't seem to detail cruises departing for Australia. I thought there would be something definitive, but their media release cycled through CIN spells it out. The requirements are based on what Australia requires for arrival, which is the same as for Australian departures. Screening at the pier is the attest, but the test/self-test would be done in advance.

Royal Caribbean International Welcomes All Guests with New Protocols - Cruise Industry News

The new guidelines are:

•  Unvaccinated guests can cruise with negative results from any commercially available test, including self-tests
  •  No testing is required for vaccinated guests sailing on cruises that are nine nights or less.
  • For all sailings, guests 5 years old and younger have no vaccine or testing requirements.
  • On sailings of 10-plus nights, guests – vaccinated or unvaccinated – must provide a negative test within three days of their sailing date.

Due to local regulations, sailings to or from Australia, Bermuda, Canada or Singapore still require guests to be vaccinated, the company said. 

Looks like you can just do a COVID test at your hotel and take a photo of it as proof or even take the test to the port with you!!! not sure i would be doing that 🤮 But at least its not the supervised variety and costs associated with them that are required on cruises departing before 5th September...

Here's a link and the relevant bit.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-tests-are-accepted-where-to-submit-the-results

Accepted Tests for U.S. Cruises Departing on or After September 5, 2022; with No Stops in Canada or Bermuda

• The test you take can be professionally administered by a health professional, such as a doctor or pharmacist, or you can use a home test kit. Home test kits for these sailings are not required to be administered under live video supervision.
  •  
  • You will present the negative test result at the time of boarding. You can show it in the form of a printout, an email, or an app screen from the test provider. Or you can show a picture of your negative home test on your phone, or present the actual negative test itself.
  • Like 1

Eeew, different. Here, have a look at my antigens 😂

Yes, self test is OK, and what we have been doing in Oz since the restart. It is an important difference, at least for boarding from a US port. So far here, P&O and Princess have insisted you don't bring your test strip for show & tell, and a photo offers no real proof either - you just had to attest to them that you had taken a negative test.

Whichever way, no paying for a supervised tests is good news.

On 8/29/2022 at 4:00 PM, Hammer61 said:

You will present the negative test result at the time of boarding. You can show it in the form of a printout, an email, or an app screen from the test provider. Or you can show a picture of your negative home test on your phone, or present the actual negative test itself.

Looks like its changing again??? noticed this today in the check in portal.....

Pre-cruise testing
Before arriving on boarding day, it is likely that all guests will need to take a COVID-19 test on their own, at their own expense, to meet boarding requirements in line with Australian Federal and State Government guidance. We will provide information about any testing requirements via email, a minimum of 30 days prior to your departure.

10 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Looks like its changing again??? noticed this today in the check in portal.....

Pre-cruise testing
Before arriving on boarding day, it is likely that all guests will need to take a COVID-19 test on their own, at their own expense, to meet boarding requirements in line with Australian Federal and State Government guidance. We will provide information about any testing requirements via email, a minimum of 30 days prior to your departure.

I think the earlier version was a miscommunication. The other cruise lines doing the crossings had already detailed self testing as required for cruising in/out of Australia.

15 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The other cruise lines doing the crossings had already detailed self testing as required for cruising in/out of Australia.

Interesting? When you say "self testing" you mean the at home variety that does not need to be supervised? More than happy to do that one and fingers crossed this is sufficient........The supervised version which is really the same thing with someone watching cost a ridiculous amount, think the best i have found is US$60 each in Honolulu 

2 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Interesting? When you say "self testing" you mean the at home variety that does not need to be supervised? More than happy to do that one and fingers crossed this is sufficient........The supervised version which is really the same thing with someone watching cost a ridiculous amount, think the best i have found is US$60 each in Honolulu 

That is how I read it. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

Supervised RAT test required 😞 Now trying to find somewhere to get one in Waikiki, anyone on transpacific crossings or from Honolulu can suggest anywhere? Found a few online but all booked out.

Can you do a proctored one via zoom?

31 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Can you do a proctored one via zoom?

You can but the one recommended seems to be only available if you have a USA issued credit card, and you need to pre order the test kit to be delivered to your hotel.....

Then apparently RCI wont accept some of the others, but its bit vague (and frustrating) to which ones???? Then we are only in Honolulu for 3 days so have no global roaming etc, only WIFI data when available or at the hotel, so not sure if that impacts being able to show the required document on our phones at check in, would also prefer a physical piece of paper as well, not to mention being bit hesitance to do the zoom thing on my phone, never done anything like it before.

We are in the same situation. We sail on Ovation to Australia on 9th October. Need supervised RAT test, and checking many clinics, all booked out for the 2 days prior to sailing. Some have walk ins, but imagine thousands of passengers all looking for testing in the 2 days prior ! Then when you can't board the ship, having to get a ticket to fly home. Thanks a lot Royal for changing the rules so close to sailing.

Edited by Dodger747
Typo

58 minutes ago, Dodger747 said:

We sail on Ovation to Australia on 9th October. Need supervised RAT test, and checking many clinics, all booked out for the 2 days prior to sailing. Some have walk ins, but imagine thousands of passengers all looking for testing in the 2 days prior !

And its not just the Ovation!  Westerdam leaves the day before, Grand Princess the same day and Sapphire Princess and another HAL ship the day after.........Not sure how many are on Transpacifics or more than 15 days so needing supervised testing but that still a lot of people.

3 days ago Carnival updated the rules on Covid testing for Australian cruises.  Cruise & Travel Guy commented on it and he said that it was for all Carnival Company ships (eg Princess/P&O etc).  Sorry it is a bit blurred.  You now need to photograph the test with proof of time and proof of identify. 

image.thumb.png.4e06d7d1900bbcea1f0ee92458553978.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ondine said:

I cannot find any confirmation of this new rule on the Princess or P&O sites yet.  Perhaps they are yet to be updated or with Carnival Splendor due soon they are getting the protocols ready for her.

I don't think there will be, so it may be just a Carnival cruises rule. We have 2 x Princess cruises departing within the next 4 weeks, and have not been advised of any changes to the current rules.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Supervised RAT test required 😞 Now trying to find somewhere to get one in Waikiki, anyone on transpacific crossings or from Honolulu can suggest anywhere? Found a few online but all booked out.

Try Onpoint. It's a video proctored test. Supply your own RAT. Do an online chat with them before you book to check that your RAT is an acceptable brand.

• Like 1

for anyone else looking, Have booked with this provider, its right in the middle of Waikiki, US$50 each which is less than the ones i found that are already booked out, most were quoting around US$60 - $150 price range per person.

https://v2safesolutions.com/

7 hours ago, Bizziecruzer said:

Try Onpoint. It's a video proctored test. Supply your own RAT.

Thanks anyway, im sure these online services are ok, maybe cheaper but peace of mind not having to worry about connections dropping out, calling at specific times, using the phone to do all this which i have never done before, then are we using an accepted brand of test etc, doubt we will have to do one again (hope not!!!) so would rather do face to face, get a print out that we know is accepted so happy to pay a premium. 

My travel agent rang RCI (Australia), and they said the Email to passengers was a mistake and unsupervised RAT test only required. Said better to check with Royal yourself. Just did that, and they said must be a laboratory test, meaning PCR test. When questioned, she just hung up on me. So still no idea and no bookings open for the 2 days prior !

8 minutes ago, Dodger747 said:

My travel agent rang RCI (Australia), and they said the Email to passengers was a mistake and unsupervised RAT test only required

This is from the RCI website

REQUIRED TESTING FOR GUESTS DEPARTING ON A TRANSPACIFIC CRUISE FROM THE U.S.

Before arriving on boarding day, you’ll need to take a COVID-19 test on your own, at your own expense, to meet boarding requirements.

• Guests age 5 and up must show a negative result for a supervised PCR or antigen test taken no more than 3 days before boarding day.
  • Guests under 5 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test.

Note: Vaccination is required for all guests 5 and older on transpacific sailings.

Edit, also note an Antigen test (most have result in under 15 mins) is sufficient you DONT need the PCR and wait 24-48 hours for results.

Edited by Hammer61