Kudos to NCL for their LGBTQIA+ efforts

dman07

I recently sailed Breakaway May 8-15 and it was my first cruise ever. I did not know what to expect when it came to sailing as a gay man. I was pleasantly surprised. Each night there was a LGBTQIA+ Get Together at Shakers Martini lounge. I was able to meet a lot of people and hangout with them for the duration of the cruise. It was awesome being able to walk into Bliss or Spice H20 and see familiar faces and party with people I made friends with earlier in the week. I still keep in touch with some of the people I met too. 

NCL will definitely be my go to for my next trip which looks to possibly be the Encore in January 2023. 

Happy PRIDE! everyone!! 

• Like 19

15 minutes ago, dman07 said:

I recently sailed Breakaway May 8-15 and it was my first cruise ever. I did not know what to expect when it came to sailing as a gay man. I was pleasantly surprised. Each night there was a LGBTQIA+ Get Together at Shakers Martini lounge. I was able to meet a lot of people and hangout with them for the duration of the cruise. It was awesome being able to walk into Bliss or Spice H20 and see familiar faces and party with people I made friends with earlier in the week. I still keep in touch with some of the people I met too. 

NCL will definitely be my go to for my next trip which looks to possibly be the Encore in January 2023. 

Happy PRIDE! everyone!! 

I am happy that you had a great first time cruise experience. 

My husband and I have always felt welcomed on NCL. Granted we have only cruised CCL once but also have a good time. 

My theory is cruises are generally very accepting. Everyone is there to have a good time and make memories. 

• Like 1

Glad you had such a great experience!  My wife and I have been cruising for many years, and have never found any cruise line that we’ve been on to be unwelcoming. (Celebrity is also terrific.)

When we first cruised on NCL, years ago, the evening LGBT get-togethers were listed in the Freestyle Daily as “Friends of Dorothy,” an obsolete and closet name, and a reference probably not even known to younger LGBT people.  I wrote to NCL about this and urged them to change the name; I can’t recall when they finally did. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

When we first cruised on NCL, years ago, the evening LGBT get-togethers were listed in the Freestyle Daily as “Friends of Dorothy,” an obsolete and closet name, and a reference probably not even known to younger LGBT people.  I wrote to NCL about this and urged them to change the name; I can’t recall when they finally did. 

I think it gets listed as "Friends of Dorothy: LGBT Meet".

18 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

I think it gets listed as "Friends of Dorothy: LGBT Meet".

I do recall seeing that silly mashup, but I don't think recently.  (Of course, there hasn't been that much "recent" cruising.)

The Freestyle Daily from the Getaway, Feb. 2, 2022, posted in comment 6 of the thread linked below, calls it "Informal LGBTQ+ Meet."   

14 hours ago, dman07 said:

Happy PRIDE! everyone!! 

Thanks for sharing.  I'll be cruising solo on the Gem this summer.  It'll be my first time cruising on my own, so I'm a bit apprehensive.  It's reassuring to hear you've been able to meet up with folk easily.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dman07 said:

I recently sailed Breakaway May 8-15 and it was my first cruise ever. I did not know what to expect when it came to sailing as a gay man. I was pleasantly surprised. Each night there was a LGBTQIA+ Get Together at Shakers Martini lounge. I was able to meet a lot of people and hangout with them for the duration of the cruise.

I'm glad you had a good experience with the mixers.  I've found them to be hit or miss, but that's obviously not NCL's fault.  At least they put the opportunity out there!  My partnered friends have never had an issue while sailing on NCL and I'll chalk up any problems I've had meeting people to my own personality; I'm not always the most outgoing person.  The crew on every ship I've been on has never anything short of wonderful.

I've also had decent luck on the LGBT cruising roll calls here and, occasionally, on the roll call on FB.  

• Like 2

My husband and I went on a cruise in April. We were welcomed by all - crew and passengers! There was never a look or word directed at us, well one lady looked upset when we ate dinner in the Haven Restaurant in our bathing suits (with a t-shirt on)...but it certainly wasn't because we are gay. We're not really into PDA, but we held hands and put our arms around each other a few times in public. 

At times, I think there were more gay couples than straight couples in the Haven - seriously, there must have been at least 6 of us and we almost always dined at the same time, separately. We didn't go to the alphabet soup gathering as when on vacation we choose to just hang out together, though we did do the slot pull with the CC/Fsocial media group - it was a blast! 

Just be sure you research the ports you're going to. Some are welcoming - others not so much. The Bermudan people were extremely welcoming to us, but you might not find that in all ports of call. 

Have a fantastic cruise!!

27 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Just be sure you research the ports you're going to. Some are welcoming - others not so much. The Bermudan people were extremely welcoming to us, but you might not find that in all ports of call. 

My wife and I feel a whole lot less warm and fuzzy toward Bermuda than we used to, since the Bermuda government successfully appealed a judicial ruling that their Constitution requires marriage equality for same-sex couples.  In other words, they have gotten that important ruling overturned, allowing discrimination.   Bermuda has always been a very conservative place, but this is a giant step backwards for LGBT people.   

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Bermuda has always been a very conservative place, but this is a giant step backwards for LGBT people.   

Thanks...while I recommended someone do research, we didn't actually research. We just chose a cruise out of NYC, not so much for the port, but for the sea days! It stinks to hear this about Bermuda as the people we met were so welcoming and kind. Of course the people are far different than the actual government.