Antigen covid test

goldmom

DH and I had covid last month, so we'd prefer to do an antigen test for boarding.  We were told we could test positive on a PCR test for months.  Has anyone used the antigen test results from CVS to board?

Just not sure if it's acceptable as it's tested at CVS and not sent out to a lab.

Appreciate any info.  Thanks!

12 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Just not sure if it's acceptable as it's tested at CVS and not sent out to a lab.

An antigen test at CVS is little more than the proctored at-home tests, they wouldn't be sent to a lab.  The PCR tests are the ones sent to a lab.

26 minutes ago, goldmom said:

So, I assume then that since the CVS test is a verified antigen test similar to the proctored tests that it's accepted for boarding.

We did a drive-through antigen test at Walgreens for our March cruise, which was accepted.

4 hours ago, goldmom said:

DH and I had covid last month, so we'd prefer to do an antigen test for boarding.  We were told we could test positive on a PCR test for months.  Has anyone used the antigen test results from CVS to board?

Appreciate any info.  Thanks!

CVS is fine for cruising. But be a aware the CVS has slowly discontinued antigen rapid testing in many parts of the country. 

obviously, use one of the free government tests to know what your results will be ahead of time. 

• Like 1

I bought the eMed proctored tests as insurance, but used CVS when the time came.  I used the CVS test two weeks ago and NCL accepted it just fine.  As mentioned above, for a while they were down to same day (only) scheduling for the Antigens but as soon as I bought the eMed tests they went back to three days in advance.  I still have two more cruises scheduled before the eMed's expire, but hopefully I'll never need to use them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I bought the eMed proctored tests as insurance, but used CVS when the time came.  I used the CVS test two weeks ago and NCL accepted it just fine.  As mentioned above, for a while they were down to same day (only) scheduling for the Antigens but as soon as I bought the eMed tests they went back to three days in advance.  I still have two more cruises scheduled before the eMed's expire, but hopefully I'll never need to use them.

Was the CVS test an at home one?  If so, how did you verify that the CVS test authentic (and done within the 2 or 3 day period leading up to the cruse)?  Trying to figure out if I can use one of those which is much cheaper for a family of 4 than the Inspire Testing ones. 

When we recently scheduled CVS for Antigen Rapid drive-thu testing (NYC) at our nearby store's mobile/pharmacy counter window, we realized Quest Lab is their testing partner that processed & generated the digital report for us. It has been accepted for others using the negative results for air travel & cruises. 

They also billed our health insurance plan, closed to $100 per person per test. Although at no out-of-pocket costs, copays or deductibles to us.  We only used them once as our backup in getting timely results within 24 to 36 hours. 

It was essentially a proctored test and you swab, sealed & drop the labeled plastic bag into the collection box.

PXL_20220325_143010450.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jungleland1972 said:

Was the CVS test an at home one?  If so, how did you verify that the CVS test authentic (and done within the 2 or 3 day period leading up to the cruse)?  Trying to figure out if I can use one of those which is much cheaper for a family of 4 than the Inspire Testing ones. 

No. It was minute clinic visit. 

• Like 1

Agreed, thanks for all the replies (I sucked up the cash and went with the Inspire at home/virtual option).  We go into super masking mode this weekend through the next 14 days to make sure we test negative in 2 weeks.

Edited by jungleland1972
  • Like 1