Am I a buffet line jumper??

CrazyTrain2

2 hours ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

Yep, heading off on the Joy - out of good ol' sanitary, polite NYC.

Oh, JOY!

Re-watching the Sopranos to get my vocabulary updated.

We could have gone out of Boston, but then I'd watch Bill Burr to get the "feel of the crowd".

Well now don't just blame the tri state area.......lol.... (I'm from Jersey)....I have a feeling skanky buffet behavior happens from all ports...I even saw a member of management staff who I will not name eating fries off his/her plate while in line at the buffet.....you just cannot make it up....forget covid.....what about Noro?????

21 hours ago, baflagg said:

This just might be my favorite post ever

yes a bit refreshing from chair hogs.

I have cruised a lot and most of the time if you do not want the item folks are lined up for, then walk pass to the area that you want.  I feel most folks just use common sense and not waste time in a line that is not for them.  

Of course if the line is in front of the silverware or condiments, I would just say excuse me I just need to get..........  And then I thank them.   I hate having an arm just suddenly appear and grab.  That is rude

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes a bit refreshing from chair hogs.

I have cruised a lot and most of the time if you do not want the item folks are lined up for, then walk pass to the area that you want.  I feel most folks just use common sense and not waste time in a line that is not for them.  

Of course if the line is in front of the silverware or condiments, I would just say excuse me I just need to get..........  And then I thank them.   I hate having an arm just suddenly appear and grab.  That is rude

Very sensible. 👍

11 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Maybe I should wear my Chiefs sweater the next time I go on a cruise buffet. 🤣

If we are ever on a cruise together lets try and find the Palm Isle.  

55 minutes ago, jimsig said:

If we are ever on a cruise together lets try and find the Palm Isle.  

Yikes!  I didn't think that was a Slap Shot reference until I googled it.  I've probably watched that movie 8 times.  Darned old brain!

• Haha 1

On 6/8/2022 at 6:52 AM, Oceansaway17 said:

Absolutely agree 100% - the most sensible answer I've read. In fact that is exactly what I do in every Buffet situation

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 6:52 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

I also concur, with both your comment above and the other posters who find it eminently sensible advice.  Most folks in that situation will understand that that you're moving ahead to a different section or just reaching in to grab a utensil or napkin or whatnot.  After all, it doesn't extend their time in line.

I resoundly agree with the use of "excuse me" and "thank you".  Simple courtesies like "please", "thank you", proper forms of address, tipping of hats, holding doors, and the like are gestures that convey mutual respect; and thus, they are the lubricants which make dealing with each other flow more smoothly.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

resoundly agree with the use of "excuse me" and "thank you".  Simple courtesies like "please", "thank you", proper forms of address, tipping of hats, holding doors, and the like are gestures that convey mutual respect; and thus, they are the lubricants which make dealing with each other flow more smoothly.

Kind of reminds me of Politeness Man from National Lampoon.

How do you feel about lighting ladies' cigarettes?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, charlie murphy said:

That's LA baby . NO seriously that's LA and that't the way we ROLL. watch out buffett Stallers I"M COMING IN HOT!

I imagine the rider with a bear claw in their mouth and looking around for the shrimp.

3 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

I also concur, with both your comment above and the other posters who find it eminently sensible advice. 

I resoundly agree with the use of "excuse me" and "thank you".  Simple courtesies like "please", "thank you", proper forms of address, tipping of hats, holding doors, and the like are gestures that convey mutual respect; and thus, they are the lubricants which make dealing with each other flow more smoothly.

thanks for your nice reply.

AND given the state of the world with folks on edge, annoyed or sad or whatever,

Now is the time for more manners than ever.  And biting one's tongue and keeping comments as much as you can to yourself.   Never know who might just flip out.

toodles

• Like 1

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever done the buffet, unless it's the early morning breakfast one, because I have a super early excursion.

Always figured why serve myself when I can get somebody else to bring me food at the MDR.

Is the buffet any good?

12 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever done the buffet, unless it's the early morning breakfast one, because I have a super early excursion.

Always figured why serve myself when I can get somebody else to bring me food at the MDR.

Is the buffet any good?

My DW is the opposite; she gets tired of people serving her. She also really like to make her own salad exactly as she wants it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

Why? Can you get 50 pieces of bacon and 3 pounds of smoked salmon in the MDR? 😁And when you want it?

I prefer the buffet to the MDR in general because no one looks askance at me in shorts, I can get what I want, when I want, how much I want and seconds, thirds and fourths if I choose. I can try both (or all three) soups, I can make my own salad, get as many desserts and as much ice cream as I want and I don't need to wait to have my coffee or water refilled (in case you haven't guessed, I have control issues 😆).

There are times I want to be served, but I eat out at nice restaurants A LOT as entertaining clients and prospects is a huge part of what I do for a living. So being served at the MDR, Cagney's etc I tend to be impatient, even on a sea day, which I know makes no sense at all.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I tend to be impatient, even on a sea day, which I know makes no sense at all.....

Sure it does.  Like you, I like the buffet for all the same reasons you identified and when I'm cooling my heels waiting for that third dessert it's tough not to think about the alternative(s) readily available elsewhere.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

Is the buffet any good?

It's pretty good. YMMV.

I indulge on food I can't get anywhere else on the ship and rarely have on land...

Lox (they hide it at the far ends of the buffet), smoked salmon, cantaloupe and watermelon, (I hate buying underripe or overripe ones at the market... control issues too?), whatever's at the carving station, made to order egg station, and making my own italian cold cut sammich (no skimping on the hard salami or prosciutto).

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 1