Updated ArriveCAN info for those sailing out of Vancouver

5waldos

They have added this on the CA government website: 

"

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada:

in another country for a cruise that will enter Canada

in Canada

This is in contradiction to what I was told about 2 weeks ago when I called to clarify this. So- we will complete the ArriveCAN prior to boarding our plane, and then do a second cruise specific one when we arrive in Vancouver, including the results of the CoVid test. Most of the information will have been saved so it should not take more than a couple of minutes to complete. I was one of those who argued against needing a second one after arriving in Vancouver because that is what I had specifically been told so I wanted to alert people. 

I am posting this also here since it seems like a lot of people don't go over to the Canada branch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We fly from the US to Vancouver on the 16th, staying 3 nights before boarding cruise ship on the 19th.

We complete the ArriveCAN app on the 13th, 3 days before entering Canada, correct?

So why do we have to do another ArriveCAN before boarding ship, between the 16th - 19th since we have been / arrived in Canada already?

Thanks 5Waldos.  I agree it's confusing.  I thought it was the cruise line requiring the covid test.  So either I missed it or the requirements have been updated.  This is what I found on Travel.gc.ca

Vaccination and testing requirements for Canada

To board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada, if you’re 12 years of age, or older, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with very few exceptions.

• Note: many cruise lines require vaccination for children 5 years and older.

If you’re entering Canada to board a cruise ship:

• you’re required to use ArriveCAN prior to boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land and you may be selected to take an arrival test
  • if you’re entering Canada as part of an excursion during the cruise, you won’t be selected for arrival testing

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada:

• in another country for a cruise that will enter Canada
  • in Canada

43 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

We fly from the US to Vancouver on the 16th, staying 3 nights before boarding cruise ship on the 19th.

We complete the ArriveCAN app on the 13th, 3 days before entering Canada, correct?

So why do we have to do another ArriveCAN before boarding ship, between the 16th - 19th since we have been / arrived in Canada already?

Because Canada says you have to? No other reason. And I would probably do it on the 14th or 15th but that is me- no more than 72 hours prior to boarding the plane. And if you are not on a direct flight I am unclear as to whether it would be 72 hours before your first flight or the flight which goes to Canada- I just wouldn't cut the timing too close.

And for this one- the cruise ship ArriveCAN-  you have to enter the results of your CoVid test. Our's is not to reason why.....

Edited by 5waldos

Thinking about this- I have to wonder if it is Canada's way of making sure that cruse lines don't get around the regulations. Canada doesn't accept most of  the exceptions to being vaccinated that cruise lines do (up to 10% of passengers can get an exception)- so I would guess that even if the cruise line would let you board unvaccinated from Seattle (if you had an approved exception),  you probably would not get an approval on the ArriveCAN and thus would not be allowed to board. This is pure conjecture but seems likely to me. I know that there are some who have been posting here who are applying for the exception- they might have a nasty surprise if this is what Canada is doing. 

Edited by 5waldos

2 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

If you are cruising round trip from Vancouver, you will be entering Canada twice.  I believe the 2nd one is for your arrival back in Vancouver at the end of the cruise, but they have you enter it upon embarkation.

1 hour ago, zestyzorra said:

So, I am driving from Seattle the day I embark on the cruise out of Vancouver.  Do you think I need 2 ArriveCAN entries? Or just the cruise one? 

You will need two, one to cross the border into Canada driving.  One to reenter Canada after being in Alaska

• Thanks 1

According to what is written, you need one to enter Canada, and a second, the cruise form which requires that you enter your test results, prior to boarding. It clearly says that this is required even of those who just had one to enter the country. Nothing to do with re-entering the country. In fact, I am pretty sure that Vancouver has waived the need for the re-entry ArriveCAN. Too late tonight but I will find the link to that information- I posted if several days ago. 

• Thanks 1

We are taking the Princess shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver and boarding the ship on the same day.  We will need one ArriveCAN to cross the border by bus and then while on the bus, I will fill out another ArriveCAN to embark on the ship.

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

We are taking the Princess shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver and boarding the ship on the same day.  We will need one ArriveCAN to cross the border by bus and then while on the bus, I will fill out another ArriveCAN to embark on the ship.

Sounds crazy but that certainly is what their instructions seem to say. I’d wait until you have crossed border though- then use the saved info and it should be quick. Unless uploading the test results proves to be a problem. 

1 hour ago, 5waldos said:

Sounds crazy but that certainly is what their instructions seem to say. I’d wait until you have crossed border though- then use the saved info and it should be quick. Unless uploading the test results proves to be a problem. 

I am aware that only one ArriveCAN app can be used at a time.  Once I cross the border I will probably give it about 20 minutes and then I will create a new ArriveCAN for embarkation onto the ship. 

• Like 1

I thought I'd post my experience from last week with ArriveCan.  First of all,  before your trip download the App and load your info, passport and proof of vaccination. I scanned my passport and loaded pictures of my card, the App saves that for your future trips to Canada, very easy.  I drove across the border in the morning  for my RT cruise out of Vancouver. I had filled out my trip info for that crossing 72 hours in advance.  After crossing the border, I pulled off and deleted the one I had just used and entered the new one for my second entry to Canada which was for the return/ disembarking.  My friend traveling with me found out after crossing the border that she had no cell service and her phone wasn't even connecting to wifi. So I  deleted my newest entry in ArriveCan and added her as my travelling companion.  Not sure how many can go onto the one but it's designed for families.  I had to scan her passport and vaccine card, then created a new trip for both of us for disembarking.  ArriveCan is tied to your passport so when they scan your passport it shows your trip receipt.  Never had to actually show the app,  it was very easy.  If you make a mistake on your trip entry,  just delete it and start over.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, nw gardener said:

I thought I'd post my experience from last week with ArriveCan.  First of all,  before your trip download the App and load your info, passport and proof of vaccination. I scanned my passport and loaded pictures of my card, the App saves that for your future trips to Canada, very easy.  I drove across the border in the morning  for my RT cruise out of Vancouver. I had filled out my trip info for that crossing 72 hours in advance.  After crossing the border, I pulled off and deleted the one I had just used and entered the new one for my second entry to Canada which was for the return/ disembarking.  My friend traveling with me found out after crossing the border that she had no cell service and her phone wasn't even connecting to wifi. So I  deleted my newest entry in ArriveCan and added her as my travelling companion.  Not sure how many can go onto the one but it's designed for families.  I had to scan her passport and vaccine card, then created a new trip for both of us for disembarking.  ArriveCan is tied to your passport so when they scan your passport it shows your trip receipt.  Never had to actually show the app,  it was very easy.  If you make a mistake on your trip entry,  just delete it and start over.

I will be doing the same scenario in a few days.  I have already pre loaded my husband and my information and will fill out our first ArriveCAN that will be presented at the border crossing (taking the Princess shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver).  Once we have crossed the border, I will delete the original ArriveCAN and fill out another to present at embarkation.  If there is WiFi on the shuttle then I will be OK.  If not, I will probably have to go to a Starbucks or somewhere to get WiFi service so I can fill out the other ArriveCAN to be used for embarkation at Canada Place.

Question:  How was it that you were able to do the ArriveCAN after crossing the border --- did you have special WiFi?

I have a Verizon cell plan that includes Canadian and Mexico calling with limited data for both countries but enough to get the job done.  There is wifi at Canada place,  my friends phone just happened to turn into a paperweight north of the border lol.  It takes less than 5 minutes to fill out the trip info and they email a receipt as well when you successfully complete it. Have a wonderful cruise!

12 minutes ago, nw gardener said:

I have a Verizon cell plan that includes Canadian and Mexico calling with limited data for both countries but enough to get the job done.  There is wifi at Canada place,  my friends phone just happened to turn into a paperweight north of the border lol.  It takes less than 5 minutes to fill out the trip info and they email a receipt as well when you successfully complete it. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you for the quick response, I appreciate it.  I have Xfinity Mobile and I added a Canada data plan, I am only charged when I access it.  I am not real teck savvy --- so, because I have the data plan, does this mean that I can just open up the ArriveCAN on the bus (even though it does not have WiFi) and input my info?  If so, when completed, would I just get my QR code over the phone?  If not, where is the WiFi at Canada Place that I can use?  Really appreciate all the help I can get --- I am freaking out over this whole thing.

25 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thank you for the quick response, I appreciate it.  I have Xfinity Mobile and I added a Canada data plan, I am only charged when I access it.  I am not real teck savvy --- so, because I have the data plan, does this mean that I can just open up the ArriveCAN on the bus (even though it does not have WiFi) and input my info?  If so, when completed, would I just get my QR code over the phone?  If not, where is the WiFi at Canada Place that I can use?  Really appreciate all the help I can get --- I am freaking out over this whole thing.

Yes you should be able to open the app in Canada if you have cell and data plan for Canada,  and wifi appeared to be usable  throughout  Canada place. Only freaking out for us was when my friend realized she didn't have a functioning cell phone.  But it was a easy work around by adding her as an additional traveler on my ArriveCan.  The app is very user friendly,  and Canadian cruiser boards has a long post with lots of good tips. 

12 minutes ago, nw gardener said:

Yes you should be able to open the app in Canada if you have cell and data plan for Canada,  and wifi appeared to be usable  throughout  Canada place. Only freaking out for us was when my friend realized she didn't have a functioning cell phone.  But it was a easy work around by adding her as an additional traveler on my ArriveCan.  The app is very user friendly,  and Canadian cruiser boards has a long post with lots of good tips. 

Thanks again.  So, with regard to WiFi at Canada Place ... I won't need a password will I as I wouldn't know how to get one.  Agree that the Canadian cruiser board is a great place for ArriveCAN help.

12 hours ago, nw gardener said:

True,  Canada doesn't require a test anymore, but the cruise lines still do and probably will  continue for awhile.  Lots of debate on that topic!

From Canadian Government Website:

"

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.
    • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
    • Passengers seeking a medical contraindication or religious belief exemption will need to contact their cruise line to see if these are permitted. These exemptions are very limited."