Connecting flight time for ANZ in Auckland?

nini

We are considering a flight from USA to Sydney, Australia on Air New Zealand, which stops in Auckland for one hour. Is this enough time? What process will be required? We would be boarding Air New Zealand to then fly to Sydney. 

It seems like such a short time, but I do not know the process of this airport. 

4 hours ago, nini said:

We are considering a flight from USA to Sydney, Australia on Air New Zealand, which stops in Auckland for one hour. Is this enough time? What process will be required? We would be boarding Air New Zealand to then fly to Sydney.

As far as I can see, the published Minimum Connecting Time for this is almost certainly 55 minutes. The airline won't allow you to book a connection that's any shorter than that, but at 55 minutes it expects that most passengers will make the connection most of the time. The airline has an incentive not to make it too short, because it incurs costs whenever someone misses their connection.

AIUI, the transit/transfer stream simply requires security screening. That would be consistent with an MCT of that kind of duration.

There's not a lot of margin if something goes wrong, but there should be plenty of alternative Auckland-Sydney flights to be reaccommodated on if you do misconnect.

International to International connection at AKL is pretty easy. 60 minutes would always make me a bit nervous, but there are usually a lot of people using AKL as a connection point to get to/from SYD with short connections like that. And, as mentioned, there are a ton of AKL-SYD flights to increase your chances of being accommodated. 

There's also the pro/con of using a longer layover as a way to just take a break after a very long flight. I see both points, personally...one point of "just get me there", and one of "let me stretch my legs for a couple hours and eat some over-priced but non-airline food". 

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

There's also the pro/con of using a longer layover as a way to just take a break after a very long flight. I see both points, personally...one point of "just get me there", and one of "let me stretch my legs for a couple hours and eat some over-priced but non-airline food". 

17 minutes ago, nini said:

Thank you to both of you! There is also a flight that gives you 3 hours between flights. Ugh

Well, we know which side of that question you are on.

Personally, I'm on the other side.  Prefer not to have to rush between flights, not to be concerned if I have a 15-20 minute delay, to take some time to relax in a seat that's bigger than the one I've been in, use a lounge and more.

And for those who don't want to "sit around".....how much of your time on a cruise will be spent on a lounger or couch just "sitting around" and relaxing?  Reading that book is different if you are at sea?

25 minutes ago, nini said:

There is also a flight that gives you 3 hours between flights.

What's wrong with three hours between flights? Given a choice, and if all other things are equal, I would go for the 3-hour connection over the 1-hour connection here. You won't be sitting around waiting for three hours. It'll take you half an hour to do the circuit through the transit/transfer stream, and you'll need to be at the gate about half an hour before the scheduled departure time of the next flight. So it's actually only two hours of waiting. For me, that's time to have a shower, drink some water to rehydrate, and get a decent and unrushed breakfast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

What's wrong with three hours between flights? Given a choice, and if all other things are equal, I would go for the 3-hour connection over the 1-hour connection here. You won't be sitting around waiting for three hours. It'll take you half an hour to do the circuit through the transit/transfer stream, and you'll need to be at the gate about half an hour before the scheduled departure time of the next flight. So it's actually only two hours of waiting. For me, that's time to have a shower, drink some water to rehydrate, and get a decent and unrushed breakfast.

Definitely, 3 hours is better than 1. Where do we get a shower? That sounds like a plan.

46 minutes ago, nini said:

Where do we get a shower? That sounds like a plan.

I would use one in an airline lounge.

If you won't have access to an airline lounge, it seems that Auckland normally has a pay lounge called the Strata lounge, although that is not open at the moment (because of the pandemic). It's number 82 on this terminal map.

It also looks like there is a public shower just below number 51 on that map. The dotted line seems to be the security border, so you'll be on the correct side if you use that one.

I have done this once, in Sydney, and it basically involved remembering to bring a camping towel (one of those zero volume things that's actually more sponge than towel) and some shower gel. It wasn't luxurious, but I'd just flown from London to Sydney, I had no lounge access in Sydney, I had two more flights to get to Dunedin, and I had to be presentable and sociable as soon as I got there - so it was worth the effort.

• Thanks 1

Update:

We decided to go with Air New Zealand Premium Economy that stops in Auckland for 3 hours. A main enticement was that we were also saving $1600.00 over Qantas. As with Qantas, we were able to select our seats.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello! I am considering using this connection as well, flying from the USA to Brisbane, Aus with connection in Auckland. How did it go? Do you need to pass through security and customs? How long did it actually take you? There is a 3 hour option I can see and I am one of those that requires the extra relaxation time between flights but I wanted to be triply sure it would be enough. Thank you, hope you had a nice time!

4 hours ago, jiggers377 said:

Hello! I am considering using this connection as well, flying from the USA to Brisbane, Aus with connection in Auckland. How did it go? Do you need to pass through security and customs? How long did it actually take you? There is a 3 hour option I can see and I am one of those that requires the extra relaxation time between flights but I wanted to be triply sure it would be enough. Thank you, hope you had a nice time!

INTL-INTL at AKL is pretty straight forward. Yes to security. No to immigration. No to customs. Three hours will leave you bored...won't take even a fraction of that time.