MSC Covid rules... Insurance requirements?

amurray88

I was on Royal Caribbean in April and planning on booking MSC for July but can't get my head round the need for Covid specific insurance and what that even means?

I never had to do it with Royal Caribbean so just trying to see....will my travel insurance cover me? Do I need it? I'm travelling from Marseille and doing the Med.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

I was on Royal Caribbean in April and planning on booking MSC for July but can't get my head round the need for Covid specific insurance and what that even means?

I never had to do it with Royal Caribbean so just trying to see....will my travel insurance cover me? Do I need it? I'm travelling from Marseille and doing the Med.

Thanks!

will my travel insurance cover me?

Nobody here can say if your insurance has the required cover, you need to check your policy as ensure you have covid cover.

Do I need it?

Yes, its a boarding requirement, when we boarded those without had the option to purchase it at the dock.

Covid specific insurance and what that even means?
MSC specifically say: cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization.

Policy's now include specific terms for covid so unlike 2020 it's now easy to check.

Edited by ziggyuk

We've just booked an MSC cruise for next May. Yesterday we received an email from them with links to specific Covid cover "add on" insurance. We are in our 70s and the quote was £53. Although we have an annual policy that does say it covers Covid-19,  we thought for £53 it was worth it. Belt and braces perhaps,  but we wont have to worry about the wording of our policy perhaps not ticking all MSC boxes.

This should be clarified via the MSC website (and the title of this thread) as they have a different requirement for other itineraries.  

For example, on our upcoming Caribbean cruise, MSC website states we do NOT need insurance (we purchased it anyway):

TRAVEL INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS:

• MSC encourages but does not require fully vaccinated guests based on the dates above, to purchase travel insurance either through MSC Cruises or another provider. If you choose to purchase travel insurance through MSC Cruises, the purchase must be made prior to final payment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AACJ said:

It depends on where you are going.  

it also depends on where you are from. 

I am from Canada, sailed out of US and I was required to get insurance.  Which they never even looked at. 
It is frustrating because I had insurance and confirmed it covered COVID 19.  But it considered Covid an illness, like anything else, and doesn't specifically say it is covered. 

Edited by 1kaper

On 6/10/2022 at 11:40 AM, 1kaper said:

I am from Canada, sailed out of US and I was required to get insurance.  Which they never even looked at. 
It is frustrating because I had insurance and confirmed it covered COVID 19.  But it considered Covid an illness, like anything else, and doesn't specifically say it is covered. 

Like you, they did not even look at ours.

Depending on the insurance company how it is worded. We found that making sure we had coverage for our April cruise out of Miami, it was hard to get the specified coverage for a reasonable cost. Many insurance companies have changed the wording of their policies since the lifting of the travel advisories. Covid is an illness, unless it is a pandemic, which is usually in the what is not covered, along with acts of war etc. 

MSC states in the requirements that US residents do not require additional insurace for sailing in the Caribbean.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:40 AM, 1kaper said:

This was on the MSC Canadian Website...

https://www.msccruises.ca/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean

• A proof of COVID-19 insurance for Canadian residents is HIGHLY recommended but not Mandatory to embark. For all other guests the insurance remains mandatory.

14 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Italy?

On MSC site currently for Mediterranean cruises.

For a seamless embarkation process, please make sure to review our health and safety protocols in place in our terminals and to bring:

• A printed copy of the embarkation form (available in your cruise ticket)
  • A printed copy of the mandatory health questionnaire duly completed and signed within 6 hours prior to the embarkation (available in your cruise ticket)
  • The original test results certificate or vaccination and recovery certificate (paper or electronic format) must indicate that complete vaccination has taken place within the last 9 months (270 days). Those passengers who received the booster vaccine are exempted from the 9 months restriction.
  • A proof of COVID-19 insurance clearly showing the COVID-19 risks coverage.
  • A valid identity document

16 hours ago, xcell said:

Correct.  Canadians no longer REQUIRE COVID insurance, its just highly recommended.   States that on the Canadian website, email response, and I called...same answer.

Update: Covid-19 insurance for Canadian residents is HIGHLY recommended but not mandatory for the following destinations: Mediterranean, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Israel, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Caribbean, and Northern Europe.

Important: For Canadian residents (Fully vaccinated) the Covid insurance is not mandatory, but highly recommended.

FOR CANADIAN RESIDENTS THE COVID TRAVEL INSURANCE
IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BUT NOT MANDATORY*

16 hours ago, xcell said:

• A proof of COVID-19 insurance for Canadian residents is HIGHLY recommended but not Mandatory to embark. For all other guests the insurance remains mandatory.

18 hours ago, xcell said:

i had heard it changed recently but it was required when I sailed.  I hadn’t seen the update on the website.